Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Calling it now, Spider-Man to cameo in Captain America 3: Civil War.

Gbear wrote: »
    Meh.

Not a fan of Spiderman and certainly not the committee designed cash-in with Garfield.

I don't think an already bloated universe needed another big character.

He is exceptionally prominent in the Civil War books though
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Calling it now, Spider-Man to cameo in Captain America 3: Civil War.

Depends on how far they are in but he could do more than just cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I remember Marvel running an ad in all their comics about 15 years ago hailing Sony for rescuing the character from developmental hell. :D

All they need now is Jackman to round out their superstar Avengers line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Depends on how far they are in but he could do more than just cameo

Filming for Captain America: Civil War starts in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think it was already confirmed his first appearance will be in Civil War and will then get his own standalone film. Must look that up to confirm but I like the idea of a new actor and an already/semi established role. If I have to watch Uncle Ben die once more :mad:

First appearance in the MCU might be a bit much to throw around Iron Spidey though.

Edit:
    The two companies said late Monday that Spider-Man will appear in an upcoming Disney-produced Marvel super-heroes movie; that movie is 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War,” according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/10/spider-man-to-appear-in-captain-america-civil-war-sinister-six-d/

Sinister Six film 'delayed'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think it was already confirmed his first appearance will be in Civil War and will then get his own standalone film. Must look that up to confirm but I like the idea of a new actor and an already/semi established role. If I have to watch Uncle Ben die once more :mad:

First appearance in the MCU might be a bit much to throw around Iron Spidey though.

I don't think they've said which Marvel film will be his first one. Hope it's not Civil War tbh. That film will have a lot going on and like you said, be a bit much to throw in Iron Spidey. Would rather see Black Panther fulfill that role as originally planned.

Edit:

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/10/spider-man-to-appear-in-captain-america-civil-war-sinister-six-d/

Sinister Six film 'delayed'

Cameo should be Spider-man identity reveal from the Civil War storyline....the following Spider-man film should be the One more day storyline. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Reports on the 'web' that Garfield is getting replaced.

He mighn't even be that bad as part of an ensemble or in a film that's better formulated. He does get on my tits a bit though.

They managed to pull off Stark being a smug dickhead and also likeable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked Spider man growing up as a kid, there was something about the character and the hero that appealed to me (probably Parker's relative youth compared with other, older heroes I guess), but the cinema treatments have really sucked the joy out of it all - the Andrew Garfield versions in particular, a pair of films utterly devoid of worth on any scale.

The prospect of yet another reboot feels singularly unappealing; I loved Guardians of the Galaxy partly because it felt like a separate story, divorced from the main Marvel cinematic universe and with the room to grow its own mythology; I know it wasn't, what with Thanos n' all, but that independence gave the film some freshness and vitality that the 'standard' MCU films just don't have at this rate. It's too fecking crowded already, the presence of Spider Man won't help this feeling.

I feel like the only comic geek who thinks a shared universe is a bad idea, and not one worth getting tizzy about.

I don't mind him being in the MCU. Just don't want the X-Men there.
    Never felt that the X-Men universe meshed with the wider Marvel.

Why, with super-powered beings popping up all over, were mutants hunted/hated, experimented on or had sentinels developed for?

• Advertisement

Because superheroes were a relatively infrequent occurrence. Mutants on the other hand were the next step in evolution who would replace humans so it's natural that normal humans would be afraid of them...especially when most peoples introduction to them would have been Magneto talking about how mutants are superior, and threatening the unleash a barrage of missiles upon the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »

I feel like the only comic geek who thinks a shared universe is a bad idea, and not one worth getting tizzy about.

I think it's a brilliant idea but only within reason.

Having a dozen characters of various importance spread over 3 or 4 franchises and 1 film tying them together is fine.

But if they're throwing in another dozen on top of that and another 3 or 4 franchises it's just going to be a mess, even if some are killed off.

And the problem with killing off characters is that the ones that replace them are almost certainly going to get progressively less interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

pixelburp wrote: »
    I liked Spider man growing up as a kid, there was something about the character and the hero that appealed to me (probably Parker's relative youth compared with other, older heroes I guess), but the cinema treatments have really sucked the joy out of it all - the Andrew Garfield versions in particular, a pair of films utterly devoid of worth on any scale.

The prospect of yet another reboot feels singularly unappealing; I loved Guardians of the Galaxy partly because it felt like a separate story, divorced from the main Marvel cinematic universe and with the room to grow its own mythology; I know it wasn't, what with Thanos n' all, but that independence gave the film some freshness and vitality that the 'standard' MCU films just don't have at this rate. It's too fecking crowded already, the presence of Spider Man won't help this feeling.

Id love a Spiderman and Deadpool movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Presumably, x-men would get a 'soft' reboot if they were at some point integrated into the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fox are doing just fine with the X-Men for now that Universe is best left where it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'd leave X-men alone , as it is they just rebooted their universe with Days of Future Past.

Be nice if they could clear up Quicksilver / Scarlet Witch though. Ideally before they go too far explaining their origin. The comics have enough retconning going on besides the movies as well.

But my good god , Spidey / Deadpool or Spidey / Punisher movie. Too Comic book nerdy to ever get made , but cant a girl dream ?

horgan_p wrote: »
    I'd leave X-men alone , as it is they just rebooted their universe with Days of Future Past.

Be nice if they could clear up Quicksilver / Scarlet Witch though. Ideally before they go too far explaining their origin. The comics have enough retconning going on besides the movies as well.

But my good god , Spidey / Deadpool or Spidey / Punisher movie. Too Comic book nerdy to ever get made , but cant a girl dream ?

Never happen but Nerdgasm at the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I just want a blade movie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Sirsok wrote: »
    I just want a blade movie :(

If they use Blade I'd say there's more chance of them giving it the Netflix treatment than a film franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fox are doing just fine with the X-Men for now that Universe is best left where it is.

Really? I still think Fox's films have been a bit of a shambles compared to what Marvel's putting out. X2 and First Class were terrific films, but even then they retcon so much of their own material all the time, particularly in Xmen Origins Wolverine and in DOFP.

I've liked most of the XMen films, but compared to what I believe Marvel could do with them, I'd much rather see Marvel get them back.

• Advertisement

Yep X-men should stay where they are, given how the comic has gone since Quesada took over as EIC I'd hate to see how they'd be handled at Marvel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really? I still think Fox's films have been a bit of a shambles compared to what Marvel's putting out. X2 and First Class were terrific films, but even then they retcon so much of their own material all the time, particularly in Xmen Origins Wolverine and in DOFP.

I've liked most of the XMen films, but compared to what I believe Marvel could do with them, I'd much rather see Marvel get them back.

DOFP was better than any marve producedl movie to date imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Marvel have made a few average films of there own.

I just feel X-men a fine where they are for now Fox aren't making a mess of that Universe like Sony were with Spiderman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Marvel have made a few average films of there own.

I just feel X-men a fine where they are for now Fox aren't making a mess of that Universe like Sony were with Spiderman.

Not anymore anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't agree with that; Days of Future Past was arguably one of the best superhero movies of recent years, not to mention the most overtly comicbook in outlook and execution (The huge cast of characters, timeline shenanigans et al)

It brazenly reset its own mythology sure, but it never let lost sight of the importance of characterisation in its storylines, and how all the set-pieces and action was just a consequence of the main character's choices and actions - unlike Marvel who have decided all third acts must involve everything exploding while our heroes try to shut down yet another portal :D

The Xavier / Magneto / Mystique dynamic is infinitely more interesting than The Avengers' own imo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    DOFP was better than any marve producedl movie to date imo.

Also had the best post credits scene too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So is Sony's 2017 Amazing Spiderman 3 cancelled and its venom spin offs and other spidey based flicks?

Edit. Read the article posted by sheehy83.
    A new Spider-man actor and film still planned for 2017.

I think its kind of mad how Sony have practically abandoned their Amazing Spiderman series of films now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well its probably for the best, considering how poor Sony's spiderman films are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sony still own the rights and have control over how he is used which could prove a problem if they dont like what Marvel have planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well its probably for the best, considering how poor Sony's spiderman films are.

I liked Amazing Spiderman. I thought the villian was terrible, but overall I liked it.

Can't stand the Raimi films.

Advertisement