Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

I think nearly everyone on this side will agree that Brickey rangers are a predominately football club, Senior for that matter. That still didn't stop our minors from beating Ye'res last year. One of the most disrespectful performances Cappoquin have ever shown towards tier own management. And all the other times we beat you in hurling and football underage last year. What I can't wait to see this year is the minor football and who ye'll have against our five county minors, three county u17, two county u16 and one county u15. Why ever they're division two I'd love too know.

#BrickeysAbu
    #BrickeyForumonthe15/01/15

All Well and good being Senior Football but with possibly London and NYC worse than us Its not exactly something to be on your High horse about..

Although I do like to see great rivalry between clubs going for b and C competition.. God knows maybe going into A comps and trying to Test yourselves is overrated.. Specially with the number of players both clubs have contributed to Senior Hurling over the years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who's playing at the weekend?

Brickeys...I mean Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brickeys...I mean Waterford
    v who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

v who?

Limerick :D

What kinda team do ye think ye'll be putting out, lads? I don't really care much about it to be honest, but we got beaten by Clare in a horrible game this time last year so it would be nice to get an early win, give some of the younger lads a runout before the league fixture... and the first league game is going to be one of the most important.

v who?

Limerick 2pm on Saturday in Kilmallock

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Limerick :D

What kinda team do ye think ye'll be putting out, lads? I don't really care much about it to be honest, but we got beaten by Clare in a horrible game this time last year so it would be nice to get an early win, give some of the younger lads a runout before the league fixture... and the first league game is going to be one of the most important.

Similar to last week probably, they won't have the UCC lads. Might go with SOK in goal. Not sure whether theyll decide to go shadow boxing, we've three other challenges lined up before were due to play ye in the league do maybe they wont want to give too much away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Brad1234 wrote: »
    All Well and good being Senior Football but with possibly London and NYC worse than us Its not exactly something to be on your High horse about..

Although I do like to see great rivalry between clubs going for b and C competition.. God knows maybe going into A comps and trying to Test yourselves is overrated.. Specially with the number of players both clubs have contributed to Senior Hurling over the years..

Were meant to be division 1 this year but mark Mulvihill tore his ACL and even last year we finished second last, with one player the whole team would need to be changed and while there is five on the county panel only one player is over 6ft which is the main reason, we wouldn't not be able to send every kickout to our 6ft 4 player cause that ain't gna work when you meet the likes of Balinacourty who have Prunty, just not physically big enough.

And if you read what posted earlier, the potiental to be competitive in football is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Were meant to be division 1 this year but mark Mulvihill tore his ACL and even last year we finished second last, with one player the whole team would need to be changed and while there is five on the county panel only one player is over 6ft which is the main reason, we wouldn't not be able to send every kickout to our 6ft 4 player cause that ain't gna work when you meet the likes of Balinacourty who have Prunty, just not physically big enough.

And if you read what posted earlier, the potiental to be competitive in football is there.

No there isn't cause there is no will in Waterford to be competitive in Football as 90% of the people have no interest bar your pockets in the county and they all have an inner circle which means guys from the city haven't a snowballs chance in hell of ever having more than 1 representative to be picked at all levels of I/C football in Waterford. For example Saviours Gaultier and DLS are all strong football clubs but yet if you look at U14 to Senior over the last 20 years their representation for Waterford has been scandalous purely out of being overlooked cause they don't come from the inner core group.

And when you see the shower of clowns who get all these managerial roles in Waterford football there shows another reason why Waterford football will never be competitive.. Talent is one thing but no will and the pull to play hurling means it will never happen. Hurling has always been our sport the rest is just social activity.. Even in the bad days of Waterford hurling we had cracking players just poorly managed sides, discipline issues and a really strong club scene where the rivalries couldn't be put to one side for the good of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Wow. First hand information from inside the Brickey Rangers camp. Enthralling stuff altogether. I can't get enough of this

Some people in this county, I think Ballyvolie Boy stated months ago, that a text was sent to ago clubs in the city for county minor football and then they sent out a text for an open trail session a month later. That excuse is implausible. The man even sending the texts John Quinn was from the city. And only about 15 showed up to the trail in sacred heart and a week later 30 showed up to the trail in Gold Coast. There is no inner circle. Last I checked Oran Keevers is Waterford cb and he's from DLS.

That typically old excuses that football is predominately in the west is idiotic. Rathgormack, DLS, Gaultier are all div 1 minor this year.

Based on previous years minor football we have consistantly ran teams like Kerry and Cork too 4 and 5 points. Which is great progress seeing a a there wasn't a proper set up til the 00's. And based on the fixtures Waterford have it's far easier than the hurling minors as they DOnt have cork/Kerry on their side if the draw. So a Munster final is there target.

A lot of people care about football, not just a select group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Is there still football played in Waterford? Didn't that mighty man from the West, Magoo, propose that every football in the county be punctured? He wasn't far wrong.

How many times have City teams made the semi finals of the Senior football in the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Based on previous years minor football we have consistantly ran teams like Kerry and Cork too 4 and 5 points. Which is great progress seeing a a there wasn't a proper set up til the 00's. And based on the fixtures Waterford have it's far easier than the hurling minors as they DOnt have cork/Kerry on their side if the draw. So a Munster final is there target.

A lot of people care about football, not just a select group.

I can't agree with you there. The majority of GAA people in Waterford have little or no interest in Gaelic Football. For most clubs it's no more than a distraction and a disruption to their chances in hurling.

Even going back as far as 1971 or '72 when Waterford were in Division 1 of the National Football League there was no great interest. There were more Waterford GAA people to be seen in Kilcohan following the Blues than there were at Waterford football matches.

Also, the argument that you make about the minor footballers is a spurious one.

What is the point in getting to a Munster final by the sheer luck of the draw because we have beaten a bunch of also rans and managed to avoid Cork and Kerry.

How is that progress?

As a matter of interest, back in the 70's we were also running Kerry to a few points in minor football when the likes of Kieran Power were minor. It never amounted to anything.

Waterford is a hurling county with a few people who dabble in football.

That's the reality.

The Brick and Shane Walsh have borne this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Is there still football played in Waterford? Didn't that mighty man from the West, Magoo, propose that every football in the county be punctured? He wasn't far wrong.

Most entertaining post of the week nomination....

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    in my 40 years or so following Waterford I can only remember Offaly beating us once.

They hammered us in Birr in 2006 (Joe Bergin destroyed James Murray who was being tried out at full-back) and beat us again the following year when we were en route to winning the league.
    I remember them giving us a couple of hammerings in the league in the late 80s / early 90s when they were a long way ahead of us in the hurling pecking order.

They hammered us in Birr in 2006 (Joe Bergin destroyed James Murray who was being tried out at full-back) and beat us again the following year when we were en route to winning the league.
    I remember them giving us a couple of hammerings in the league in the late 80s / early 90s when they were a long way ahead of us in the hurling pecking order.

I had forgotten 2006.

Actually, come to think of it weren't Flynner and Kelly sent off that day.?

The one I remembered was around 1995/1996, in I think oddly enough Tullamore, when we got a right trimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I wonder what Cormac curran is doing now

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Slobbery wrote: »
    I wonder what Cormac curran is doing now

"Friday - Medium Gym Workout (morning)
    Kicking Drills, no contact"

Probably splitting the posts as we speak!

"Friday - Medium Gym Workout (morning)
    Kicking Drills, no contact"

Probably splitting the posts as we speak!

He definitely needs a move into the mother club Dungarvan in the near future if he is to achieve his potential as a hurler.

If not, the Brickeys will have him ruined with that big ball!

Minor And Under-21 football training, be on the field @7:30 is what he is doing in an hour @bushypark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

Minor And Under-21 football training, be on the field @7:30 is what he is doing in an hour @bushypark.

Would he not be resting for his match tomorrow in the McGrath cup against Limerick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

He definitely needs a move into the mother club Dungarvan in the near future if he is to achieve his potential as a hurler.

If not, the Brickeys will have him ruined with that big ball!

How many players does the [ MOTHER CLUB ] need.They may as well have Colin Dunford [Colligan] also ,to go with Michael Kiely[St Marys],Kieran Power [Clonea] and Shane Kearney [Brickeys].I thought there was no Divisional or Group teams in the Championship.

logbox wrote: »
    How many players does the [ MOTHER CLUB ] need.They may as well have Colin Dunford [Colligan] also ,to go with Michael Kiely[St Marys],Kieran Power [Clonea] and Shane Kearney [Brickeys].I thought there was no Divisional or Group teams in the Championship.

I'd say you could throw Tom Devine into the mix as well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

I'd say you could throw Tom Devine into the mix as well:)

20% of starting 15 are poached conceivable that this time next year it will be 33% with those additions mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I say Cormac will one day be a sure county senior start but I would like too see him operate at full forward in the league. I don't understand why he was wing forward because it's true, he doesn't have the legs for it, simply because he's 6ft 4 and 16 stone and that doesn't move quickly but when he gets the ball and the yard he can do damage. He is great to win aerial ball but Derek Lyons made a huge mistake with him in midfield and half forwards. The reason why he mainly played not great is cause even at club level he was always full forward for the intermediates, he started one or two games for the minors midfield, the rest he was full forward cause he didn't have the legs. The minors and ye intermediates for Brickeys have the right idea, and that's full forward. When he was full forward for the county minors I have no excuse really he should of played better. But if you saw his stats of number of goals and points per game you'd be surprised. He averaged 3-5 for the club minors and 2-4 for the intermediates. (Source: Degree in Sport Science).

Some of the stuff you are coming out with is utter guff. Cormac curran will never be inter-county standard as he doesn't possess the required mobility through any fault of his. You say he's being played out of position in full forward? he was positioned there in the minor campaign and was held by his opponents, I also witnessed the minors deploy a strategy of launching every puck out on top of him against Clare in Fraher Field to no avail. I recently heard he was taken to the cleaners by his marker (when played full forward) when Brickeys lost the Intermediate semi Final to Ballinameela. May I ask are you a paid agent for the Brickey GAA club?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have it miss the league game against limerick because I'll be up at the rugby match (ire vs France) In Dublin

Can see limerick throwing the game 2morrow because they don't want to be exposed for the league game.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have it miss the league game against limerick because I'll be up at the rugby match (ire vs France) In Dublin

Can see limerick throwing the game 2morrow because they don't want to be exposed for the league game.

There's the rugby teams chances blown out the window ya big crow ya.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Here's a good read for ye lads, no tak of burnout back then....

wp.me/p4vbc8-nK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

PTH2009 wrote: »

We're not going to throw the game! It mightn't be our strongest team out, but the players out there are surely going to play as well as they can, some of them will be fighting for starting positions- particularly the likes of the two Morrisseys, Lynch, the younger Breen, Cathal King, Allis, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We're not going to throw the game! It mightn't be our strongest team out, but the players out there are surely going to play as well as they can, some of them will be fighting for starting positions- particularly the likes of the two Morrisseys, Lynch, the younger Breen, Cathal King, Allis, etc
    are Cian and Ronan Lynch on the Senior panel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement