Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭IanVW

Waterford playing a challenge v WIT in carrignore at the moment

@tomasmcc: Waterford: O'Keeffe; McNulty Flynn Roche; Harney De Burca M O Brien; P Walsh Barron; Devine Curran Power; Connors Foran Waring

@tomasmcc: A Gleeson M O Neill P Mahony G O Brien & J Dillon lining out for WIT

@tomasmcc: Waterford v WIT challenge match in bitterly cold Carriganore level 1-2 0-5 15 mins T Connors goal for Waterford http://t.co/nmPYyslVio

@tomasmcc: Half Time WIT 1-10 @tomasmcc: Waterford 2-16 WIT 1-13 Shane Bennett goalWaterford 1-8 Liam McGrath goal for WIT Tadhg De Burca Jamie Barron Thomas Connors & Pauric Mahony best on view

@tomasmcc: Waterford 2-16 WIT 1-13 Shane Bennett goal

@tomasmcc: Senior Hurling Challenge Full Time Waterford 2-20 WIT 1-14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Walsh was meant to be a total disaster at his own club St Catherine's

The only good job I can think of him doing is with ballymartle?

Very surprised he got that job in ballygunnar

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Any one at the match know how they performed? After a few games now and players should be settling in. Never had too much time for Jamie Barron but I was at the canon o brien cup last week and he had a great game. Played further out the field changing between midfield and wing back. Made a great run from midfield passed a few Cork players and could have scored a great goal but was fouled in the box. He took the penalty and scored a goal from it (the first new penalty with only Nash on the line). Looked lively though and seemed more comfortable farther away from goal. He was brought into the forwards a few times but didnt make much of an impact. Showed some great vision though and set up a few scores. Foran was playing full forward and won some good ball getting out in front of his man. Could be a serious player given the time to gain experience and if he his coached properly. Tadgh Bourke was composed at no.6 and made some good clearances but its not his best position. Good hurling by the Waterford lads though against a very strong Cork team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Slobbery wrote: »
    Walsh was meant to be a total disaster at his own club St Catherine's

The only good job I can think of him doing is with ballymartle?

Very surprised he got that job in ballygunnar

I don't think he was ever in ballymsrtle

He's record is poor

They had good team last year and got relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

He's record is poor

To be fair to him Catherines were a poor team. Have lost a lot of players over the years. Having watched a lot of games in the cork intermediate championship I still thought they would have had enough to stay up. Which has a lot to do with his management from what I've heard.

Have nothing against Denis Walsh just think it's a strange appointment for a team that surely has aspirations to win a Munster title. I'd be disappointed if he was appointed to manage Tallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

How come WIT didn't take part in the Crystal Cup?

Anyone know who's coaching them as well? Is Bonner still involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Wat 2-20 WIT 1-14

Was at the game this evening, just about thawing out now. will have to agree with Tomas McCarthy's tally, no umpires, probably had to trust the goalkeepers for once

It was cold. Only 60 minutes long which was enough

WIT were set up way out the pitch with Waterford trying to hold their positions at the back. At times it was 6 v 2 in that area making it very difficult to access our (Waterford not WIT) defenders. At Centre Back you had Taghe de Burke one end and Austin Gleeson the other, a small bit of the Brick v Ken head to head you always wanted to see.

The first half was even enough. I thought WIT in Mahony, GOB, Jake Dillon, Harry Kehoe, Liam McGrath (showing the family wrists) and the decent player called Johnny who I didn't know but prob has an All Ireland medal in the phocha were a good enough unit to be more adventurous. Flynn, McNulty, MOB and Shane Roche prob had a quiet enough time of it but not bad for what they had to do. T de Burke was class but did make a sloppy hand pass which led to the WIt goal. Harney, I thought was great, plenty of ball winning ability and drive with skill, happy with him.

In the midfield Jamie Barron showed a lot of quality, zip, touch and scoring from distance. Beside him Pa Walsh seemed well able for Martin O Neill but Martin has the ball striking skill of Rory McIllroy without the need for 15 clubs.

In the half forwards Tom Devine showed some commitment to be there!! but looked tired and hard to judge. Cormac Curran looks grand at this level and will improve as will DJ who got a great point. Tommy Connors was Molumphy-esqe and got about 1-2 too.Of the other forwards while I'm at it, Power is a great ball winner and Waring well able to take a score but they have stiff competition for those positions to make the panel.

At the start of the second half WIT pulled a small bit clear but the substitutions on both sides then took their toll and Waterford took off a small bit. Donie Breathnach, Kearney and Shane Bennet really shined even though some of the senior players were on at this stage, it was those 3 that opened up the game in Waterford's favour. They provided the game with a lift in terms of quality scores, movement and even some goal chances.

Not much of game but plenty of positives in terms of the individual, all the while the likes of Daragh Fives and Maurice were keeping warm and going through their paces behind the far goal.

To be fair to him Catherines were a poor team. Have lost a lot of players over the years. Having watched a lot of games in the cork intermediate championship I still thought they would have had enough to stay up. Which has a lot to do with his management from what I've heard.

Have nothing against Denis Walsh just think it's a strange appointment for a team that surely has aspirations to win a Munster title. I'd be disappointed if he was appointed to manage Tallow.

I'd agree they were expected beat dripsey by almost every one
    Catherine have making good team
    Mangan fine hurler

• Advertisement

I think teddy maccsrthy was last corl man coach tallow was? he years and years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

St. Catherines have a poor team, no hurlers besides Mangan and O'Brien. They won't do anything in junior.

I think teddy maccsrthy was last corl man coach tallow was? he years and years ago

No Mick Mangan was last Cork man to coach Tallow. Was in charge when we got to County Final in 2011. Left after 2012. Local management since then.

Orizio wrote: »
    St. Catherines have a poor team, no hurlers besides Mangan and O'Brien. They won't do anything in junior.
    I wouldnt say that
    Look at county champions this year imo not a great team but we'll coached and only had two major player
    Dependant
    who is coach
    They imo will be there abouts next year

Training was a disaster last year for them

Cobh will be strong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Weren't Catherines senior not so long ago? Even accounting for not having a good team if you had a former Cork manager in charge they shouldn't be getting relegated to junior. Think its a poor appointment by Ballygunner to be honest

deisedude wrote: »
    Weren't Catherines senior not so long ago? Even accounting for not having a good team if you had a former Cork manager in charge they shouldn't be getting relegated to junior. Think its a poor appointment by Ballygunner to be honest

Were yeah cathal casey club

Id for example he went there and he's fine coach with ucc he would win east corl junior and wouldn't got relegated

Casrlemstyr are good but far from great as monlisgo proves but Christy connery na piarsaigh made them better side

Good coaching is king

He only got the job in cork as ccb deliberately wanted make statement to striking players

I don't belive he impress waterford football either when there

Were yeah cathal casey club

Id for example he went there and he's fine coach with ucc he would win east corl junior and wouldn't got relegated

Casrlemstyr are good but far from great as monlisgo proves but Christy connery na piarsaigh made them better side

Good coaching is king

He only got the job in cork as ccb deliberately wanted make statement to striking players

I don't belive he impress waterford football either when there

Good coaching is vital for any team. Too many trainers don't know the difference between training and coaching. I've seen too many coaches who just roll out pre-determined set of drills instead of coaching the team to improve on weaknesses in their play or skill sets. And many of these coaches are getting handsome "expenses" and living off past reputations forged as players.

Good coaching is vital for any team. Too many trainers don't know the difference between training and coaching. I've seen too many coaches who just roll out pre-determined set of drills instead of coaching the team to improve on weaknesses in their play or skill sets. And many of these coaches are getting handsome "expenses" and living off past reputations forged as players.

I'd agree in intercounty teams also there's example of no coaching

Cork senior football team no assigned actually football coach for season

Looking at limerick minors imo balance is incorrect coaching wise

Leo o connor known as manager more than a coach

Anthony Daly is manager more than actual coaching imo

He has bit coaching done in clare and was director hurling over small club but as coach record is not great

He's good manager, not great but certainly good as Kilkenney fans many hold same views, but now he's in director coaching and coach limerick minors

Limerick now have problems where have two managers imo but no coach

Wallis when there actually coached awesome drills

Some clubs get it right like some counties

Eirns own cork have proven manager in bowens and coach in kearney

Dublin hurling got it right also

He's record is poor

He definitely was with ballymartle, maybe 2008?

Slobbery wrote: »
    He definitely was with ballymartle, maybe 2008?

Must been before Eddie murphy time so he defo didn't win anything with them

Murphy and crowley and Donal o grady are ones lot credit in that club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Strong rumours that Wayne Hutchinson is leaving Ballygunner to go to a Dublin club and that he is already on Ger Cunningham's radar.

If it actually does happen he will be some loss to the Gunners.

Hutchy has been probably their most consistent player over the past few years and has had turned in some magnificent performances in that time.

With Ger Cunningham having coached him while at the Gunners, it would be interesting to see if he could get the best out of him in a Dublin shirt.

He definitely has the ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Wayne Hutchinson is leaving Ballygunner to go to a Dublin club and that he is already on Ger Cunningham's radar.

Hutchy has been probably their most consistent player over the past few years and has had turned in some magnificent performances in that time.

With Ger Cunningham having coached him while at the Gunners, it would be interesting to see if he could get the best out of him in a Dublin shirt.

Agree, very under rated player in waterford. would be huge loss for ballygunner. He is too old for waterford tho, what is he 27/28 :P :P !!

Agree, very under rated player in waterford. would be huge loss for ballygunner. He is too old for waterford tho, what is he 27/28 :P :P !!

If he's not 30 hell be 30 by the time championship roles around, and whatever about his ability I was never fond of his temperament. Did an awful lot of giving out. Truth is if he was good enough, he would have made it being from a club like Ballygunner there is doubt he was given every chance but four different managers haven't considered him good enough so I think that says enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

I'd say Hutchy is around 28 but I know what you mean lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Hutch a good player but not county standard in my opinion, lacks pace, slow on the turn and as a previous poster said a questionable temperament. His style of play makes him look very good ie he sits very deep in the pocket and hurls loose ball, the work rate of the ballygunner midfield and half forwards cover his lack of marking. By adopting such a style he is always the free man to deliver the clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Alf Tupper wrote: »

Any idea of the Dublin club involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Wayne Hutchinson would have been 29 on January 1st and 30 some time this year. His last year under 21 was 2006. His brother JJ would be a year younger.

Are there new rules with regards U16's playing Minor this year?

I thought I heard over the weekend on the radio that U16s are no longer allowed play Minor... but I wasn't sure if it was a proposed change that had to come through congress or if it was coming in for definite

What that mean that the minor goalie from last year (Billy Nolan - I think he was 15) can not play this year as he would be considered underage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Hutch working in the K Club I think for Educogym so he isnt really based in dublin at present

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement