Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see from ME today, highest gust reported at Cork AP yesterday, was 57 kts.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

That 79 kt reported gust, on the 1800 reports yesterday, would appear to have been a typo/erroneous (as I thought yesterday).

Bit of a boo boo on the part of ME, as I heard Gerald Fleming talk about the 79 kt gust and I think I saw a tweet from ME about it (certainly saw a tweet from the ESB about it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Wind rain and very cold here in cork dark and depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

My auld boys advice a couple of months ago is as true as ever this morning.

Told him about some bad weather we were supposed to get, he told me, im 62 and ive seen weather come and go, forget the charts he said, believe it when its happening and adjust accordingly, i got the the ''i told you'' when it didnt happen.

Im glad i heeded his advice yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Still wild & crazy here in North Clare...no rain for a few hours...still have power though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Complete non event in Limerick, a bit of a breezy evening but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see from ME today, highest gust reported at Cork AP yesterday, was 57 kts.

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

That 79 kt reported gust, on the 1800 reports yesterday, would appear to have been a typo/erroneous (as I thought yesterday).

Bit of a boo boo on the part of ME, as I heard Gerald Fleming talk about the 79 kt gust and I think I saw a tweet from ME about it (certainly saw a tweet from the ESB about it).

It did seem well in excess of what was being reported at the time. Unfortunate timing to make an error like that! anyway breezy here and cold but nothing of note. might have an outside chance of wintry precipitation later

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Most of the high winds were before 22:00 here last night.... nothing much in the early hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Winds peaking here in Donegal Town about now i would say.

Live webcam link
    DONEGAL BAY WATERBUS WEBCAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ha, ha... Yeah was quite timid down here, blustery alright at times, a big hail shower around 4 or 5am was the highlight, but not a patch on last Feb.

But in fairness this was probably always gonna be worse further north anyway looking at the charts, wasn't expecting it to be as bad here as last time.

That time HIRLAM had predicted hurricane force gusts right over our heads here in Limerick, this time nothing like that was showing on the charts for here, was more severe up the coast and far north west.

Yeah, tbh I'm not too bothered by an over hype for limerick this time as it did get a bit blustery in other parts.
    More using it as an example to show how farcical the official warnings/prep were for Darwin.

But if many other "red" areas experienced the same as limerick then maybe they have destroyed any credibility of the official colouredy warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

irish1967 wrote: »
    Winds peaking here in Donegal Town about now i would say.

Live webcam link
    DONEGAL BAY WATERBUS WEBCAM

doesn't look right!!!!????
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=351.00,53.98,2274

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

I'm glad it was over hyped, at least we are all safe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Completely overhyped for Cork anyway - the winds were pretty bad from about 6pm-9pm last night but other than that it was just your regular wet and windy night - then this morning on the radio I hear that one of the schools in the city is closed?! There isn't a puff of wind out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

slept well, a bit of wind, but not severe, all trees, leaves, slates, garden chairs accounted for in their position,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like this was yet another victory for the ECM and HIRLAM over the GFS and even the Euro4.

Very underwhelming stuff. A million miles away from the type of event some of the models were showing a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Didn't feel very overhyped in Salthill, Galway, saw a piece of debris fly past my window early this morning, looked like a sign or something!
    Only reason less damage here is because of low tides, it would have been a completely different story if those winds had clashed with high tide!

Still windy here in Roscommon but nothing special, similar to the winds of last week.

Schools still open so its going to be a normal day!

Whats coming next, more snow or is that it for winter, cold for a few weeks till spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Little snow shower there South of Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

The12thMan wrote: »

I agree 1967
    Just had my highest gust here in South Donegal 114kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like this was yet another victory for the ECM and HIRLAM over the GFS and even the Euro4.

Very underwhelming stuff. A million miles away from the type of event some of the models were showing a few days ago.

A million miles away? A tad exaggeration

I think it was just poor interpretation by people. The southern half of the country was not meant to be hit by the wrap-around gusts.

Granted the winds in the north-west are around 10 knots below what the max we could have expected but still windy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Cork was orange till after the airport reading it was upgraded after the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

leahyl wrote: »
    Completely overhyped for Cork anyway - the winds were pretty bad from about 6pm-9pm last night but other than that it was just your regular wet and windy night - then this morning on the radio I hear that one of the schools in the city is closed?! There isn't a puff of wind out there!

Yeah it's actually calm, but a red alert was issued. I suppose the school wasn't going to take a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Was that it??? I have seen worse winds in May. Total hype. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was suspicious of that extreme gust on Cork. The only damage I can see here in South Donegal is a neighbours fertiliser blew into my garden and is tangled in the hawthorn hedge. By the way I'm pleased the country escaped damage and death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I thought met.ie used HIRLAM so why do you think they went with the extreme option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Oiche na Gaoithe beag

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jamesbere wrote: »
    Yeah it's actually calm, but a red alert was issued. I suppose the school wasn't going to take a chance

Ah but in fairness, all you have to do is step outside and listen to/read the forecast to know that it's not going to get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Non-event for Ballina, Tipp. Odd gust around 2-3am and some heavy hail showers. This morning it's blue skies, 2.8c and quite still (5-10 knots). Nice morning for a walk with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My auld boys advice a couple of months ago is as true as ever this morning.

Told him about some bad weather we were supposed to get, he told me, im 62 and ive seen weather come and go, forget the charts he said, believe it when its happening and adjust accordingly, i got the the ''i told you'' when it didnt happen.

Im glad i heeded his advice yesterday

Perfect as they say here in Kerry. I myself would far rather though be prepared for the very worst. Nothing lost if the worst does not happen, everything gained if it does. My worst here would have been these dratted trees falling on the house. They are dangerous, planted in the wall not the ground and twice the height of the house and if one fell, that would be me gone and no one near to see it and rescue. So I prepared and blew up my new air mattress.. posh one and I had to go to an internet forum to find out re the complicated double stopper!....thank you, google... and decamped down there. The trees are still there although minus a few branches and I am safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah but in fairness, all you have to do is step outside and listen to/read the forecast to know that it's not going to get any worse.

But the school made its mind up last night to shut, can't change there mind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I wouldn't call a gust of 130km/h at Malin head a non event, or 100km/h as far inland as Carlow, 15,000 people were without power this morning and trees down all over the place.

I think models weren't bad at all, the NMM4 highres based on GFS was very accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What a load of nothing. Half of Limerick is shut down due to the warning, you'd get stronger gusts from a fan. Typical irish over reaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement