Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Villain wrote: »
    Met Eireann had to go red once the risk of gusts were above 130kmh and the fact that a gust of 130kmh was recorded shows that was correct, remember we don't have stations everywhere there could well have been gusts over 130kmh.

Amber warning covers gusts of up to 130km/h and I doubt other locations had higher gusts. Malin head,belmulet and Mace head were all in the red warning and are exposed on the coast

Highest gust st 9am down to 62knots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Surprised at people on here giving out that it was not as bad as expected, it only takes a small movement of this storm in any direction as the where the worst or less impact will be, if ME had not called Red and it turned out to be a disaster they would look pretty bad this morning if there had been major damage and loss of life. Thank God the worst seems to be over and we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

I'm not surprised. There are people for whom their prime joy is in picking holes in the work of other people.

I'd prefer to be thankful things weren't as bad as forecast rather than picking up the pieces because they were.

Forecasting is not now and never was a 100% accurate science. I'd argue its objective is to keep you prepped for problems rather than lull you into a false sense of security.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Vanolder wrote: »
    Few so called experts on here are seething that they completely got it wrong and bought into the hype.

The National Weather Service, MET Eireann had this as a red warning , and the parameters of the ongoing fluid situation have been more than explained to you at this stage .

Cut it out please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Amber warning covers gusts of up to 130km/h and I doubt other locations had higher gusts. Malin head,belmulet and Mace head were all in the red warning and are exposed on the coast
    Yes but 1km more and it met the red criteria, anyway going around in circles here, Met Eireann couldn't forecast this to within 1kmh so they want with Red and it was 1kmh off meeting that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

There's to much uncertainty about this storm. Is the worse to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all, I'd rather the red warning and it not get that bad, than the orange warning and it getting worse and everyone getting caught out.

Exactly. This storm had the potential to cause serious damage, no one said it would be as bad as Darwin, but the models were showing serious winds along the west coast. Some small late shifts to the north meant the strongest winds didn't get near the south west. We got lucky. There was no 'over hyping' or scare mongering.

Personally, the initial squall line when it passed though produced higher wind speeds than at any time last year, albeit for a period of no more than 15-20mins. The sustained gusts after were much lower though.

The National Weather Service, MET Eireann had this as a red warning , and the parameters of the ongoing fluid situation have been more than explained to you at this stage .

Cut it out please
    Sorry but I thought it went level 3 red alert in here before Met Eireann went red. I not causing trouble or blaming, just making a point.

The met office forecasted this correctly for Northern Ireland. They had a yellow wind warning in force with gusts of up to 70MPH and possibly touching 80mph on the north coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Saw mod note after posting ...... Good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Drove 15 miles to work in rural west Galway. No sign of damage at all and roads were dry.

If that was a red, they need more colours. :)

If darwin was orange in limerick til walls trees and roofs started coming apart then this was taupe or beige or teal or some other non colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

legomaniac wrote: »
    Sorry but I thought it went level 3 red alert in here before Met Eireann went red. I not causing trouble or blaming, just making a point.

The level 3 here came about 30-45mins after the Met Eireann Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

stooge wrote: »
    Exactly. This storm had the potential to cause serious damage, no one said it would be as bad as Darwin, but the models were showing serious winds along the west coast. Some small late shifts to the north meant the strongest winds didn't get near the south west. We got lucky. There was no 'over hyping' or scare mongering.

Personally, the initial squall line when it passed though produced higher wind speeds than at any time last year, albeit for a period of no more than 15-20mins. The sustained gusts after were much lower though.

it was my area last time, what part of country got it bad this time, i could see on charts that mayo, galway were in the line of fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭jkforde

"Mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with gusts of 130 to 150km/h possible."

The word 'possible' at the end doesn't imply definitely, for certain or even probable, it means possible. And if possible they issue the European-wide agreed warning protocol. No one made a mistake, FAILed, made a bags of it, f@£ked it up - they did and are doing their job.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

The wind is very strong here in Cavan. Some heavy looking showers on the way. I hope we get to see a few flashes and bangs!!!
    FYI there is a contact form on met.ie for complaints ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Weather forecasting is not easy. Computer generated models indicated very high winds all over the country. With red and orange alerts it is well worth fearing the worst. It is also good to hope for the best. I am hearing of fallen trees and several thousand electricity customers without power. I am pretty sure that the bullk of the country escaped with little or no damage. But with the randomness of the weather there going some unlucky areas such as Tullow Co. Carlow. The top recorded gust I saw is 70knts at Malin head. That's about 130 kmh. Easily much higher gusts may have occurred but not picked up by any weather station. The storm isn't over yet and there is a risk of sting jet gusts up to 150 kmh especially in showers today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Is the storm over for the southwest or is there more to come ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

I'm in East mayo and it sounds worse here now than at any time during the night, so maybe it isn't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Definitely stronger gusts here now near knock airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭woody1

north mayo here, was bananas all night, occasional lapses but mostly as bad as ive seen it here in the 10 years ive been here and its still going, just because the roof hasnt been lifted off ( yet ) doesnt mean it wasnt a bad storm,
    darwin was very hard on cork limerick, was nothing more than a windy winters night here.. its all relative to location, i think met, and boards got it right, i would much rather be ready than get caught out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The Storm is not over yet, there will still be some strong gusts up to 120km/hr in the NW and along Irish sea as the centre moves NE
    335116.jpg

All the "non event" trolls please vacate the premises and come back when the apocalypse is occurring at least then you may be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

legomaniac wrote: »

Well it's not a very good point because you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'm very pleased for all you people having a 'non-event' - but here in south Mayo it's still blowing hard, sky is dark, doesn't feel safe to go out in. Thankfully, our roof is still in place, and I have nowhere I have to be today - main concern is whether there'll be a rubbish collection this morning 'cos I don't want to put it out right now in case it blows away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Still very windy in Donegal, it's been a sustained strong wind since about 11pm last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My interpretation of the weather situation and the models I saw for much of the South it looks the worst is over. But for the northern 2/3 of the country it looks like it will be storming all day up until teatime this evening. Just to confirm the top gust at Cork Airport was 57 knts not 78 that was posted at 6 pm yesterday.

My son in west Dublin wants to fix his gutters. Should he put it off as there are conflicting reports that the winds will hit Dublin bad later...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just heard of some big trees down out at rossylongan donegal town blocking the road.
    be careful out there people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

All these "NON EVENT" comments I must have been imagining all of last night then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I just want to thank MT and all out the people who took the time to post charts and updates of this storm as it progressed. Thank You all know who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

I'm in Castlebar which is in the middle of County Mayo (not coastal) and it was once of the worst storms I can remember in the past while, Met E and Boards got it spot on, they always said it would be worse in West (North of Galway) and North West. Its still raging here at the moment. Alot of trees down across the county and also in Donegal/Sligo aswell as thousands without power. People need to wake up and be thankful that it caused no loss of life and that they can get on with their day now. Everyone was well warned and prepared which is the main thing in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement