Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Iancar29 wrote: »
    All the "non event" trolls please vacate the premises and come back when the apocalypse is occurring at least then you may be pleased.

We've enough trouble on After Hours with mods misusing the troll card on any post they find personally objectionable, let try to avoid that creeping in here.

Problem now is tomorrow or next week, what if we all see a Level 3 Red Warning again, it now risks losing all it's impact.
    Schools are now closed on a beautiful calm sunny morning, ME should issue an apology but reinforce the difficulty in the science & how it's better to be over prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

woody1 wrote: »
    darwin was very hard on cork limerick, was nothing more than a windy winters night here.. its all relative to location, i think met, and boards got it right, i would much rather be ready than get caught out..
    Darwin - billed as orange hours in advance of a red in limerick.
    Rachel - billed as a red hours in advance of a yellow in limerick.

If I'm to be called a non event troll for that so be it. Unless the colouredy warnings are reasonably sensible and consistent, then they are less helpful than a forecaster using his own personal phraseology.

What do I expect for the next event billed red in advance for limerick (I don't mean upgraded as the wolf is at the door)? Worse than darwin? Less than Rachel?

The initial guidance was good I think- North West and exposed/coastal West. The guidance here on darwin was good. The handling of the official colour system not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

feel sorry for the lads who took the day of work to go storm chasingrolleyes.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Barely average storm here we have had alot worse storms in Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Glad to say it calmed down in west Cork last night after the squall line passed just got a bit of lightening around 12.30 afer that.

Mind boggeling that people are moaning. Moaning because its windy.. Moaning because its not windy moaning moaning moaning.

Delighted that the tree are still standing around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Regarding the level warning by Met Eireann - I think they did the responsible thing by declaring a red warning.

The fact remains that there was a very significant and dangerous weather event within the immediate proximity of the coast and capable of causing very serious damage were it to have taken certain possible route deviation within (as I understand) some of the forecast models.

I'm no expert myself, but as far I am aware of the situation I don't think there was any doubt but that the severity of that weather system as it approached Ireland was such that it could be categorised as red, i.e. the wind speeds were within the red threshold.

The only question that remained was one which could not be answered with any great degree of certainty, and that was the path the storm would taken when interacting with the country.

As it transpired, we were largely spared the brunt of force of the storm, but that was little more than "good luck" on this occasion and we should all be greatful that was the case.

Were it the case that the storm which approached was less severe as it did approach, then the consequent risk of damage were it to track across parts of the country would obviously be less also, and then in those circumstances an orange warning would have been more appropriate, but as I understand it that wasn't the case here, had this storm tracked one of the alternative probable routes then there would certainly have been extensive damage.

Suggesting that a red warning should only be used in circumstances where we wake up in the morning (assuming we've slept) to extensive damage and destruction is non-sense. A red warning must always be issued where there is a real risk of such damage, whether or not that risk transpires.

It's when I read some of the comments here this morning that I can say for sure I'm happy that the area of meterological science is left to those with the relevant expertise and who understand the practical purpose for which the science is actually pursued, i.e. to warn of potential risks, as opposed to hind-sight merchants who have nothing better to do then criticise perfectly legitimate actions based on areas of science and social responsibility which they clearly fail to have any real grasp of.

I'm very grateful for the input of the various posters here, and in particular those who have demonstrated and enormous amount of expertise and dedication to analysing, tracking and explaining many of the important weather features of the country, this one included.

It's tremendously beneficial to have an ongoing open live discussion regarding such weather which can be followed 24/7, and which is far more detailed and valuable than the sporadic watered down little updates the public are used to getting from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Storm howling in South mayo at the moment, our kid's school is open but trees were across the road on the way, the gusts outside right now are dangerous enough to cause loss of life if someone wasn't taking care so thank you to all the more knowledgeable for their warnings. Complacency can be fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Iancar29 wrote: »

All the "non event" trolls please vacate the premises and come back when the apocalypse is occurring at least then you may be pleased.

Calling other members Trolls on thread is a form of backseat moderation - cut it out!
    We've enough trouble on After Hours with mods misusing the troll card on any post they find personally objectionable, let try to avoid that creeping in here.

Do not discuss moderation of another forum here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Problem now is tomorrow or next week, what if we all see a Level 3 Red Warning again, it now risks losing all it's impact.
    Schools are now closed on a beautiful calm sunny morning, ME should issue an apology but reinforce the difficulty in the science & how it's better to be over prepared.

Red alert in West Mayo. Schools closed. Proper order.

Highly dangerous for small kids to be about facing these gusts.

What is this macho nonsense that it is not too bad?

Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks to the Met people and to those on these fora who know their stuff

The problem is when we are told this is the worst storm ever and red event flashes everywhere people get a false sense of security when the storm isnt as powerful as expected.

Come the next superstorm you will have people doing stupid things thinking it wont be that bad and ultimately lives will be lost.

With that said , Thanks to those predicting the weather on here, I trust your forecasts more than ME, and its great seeing how the weather plays-out across the country from all the various posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

If I'm to be called a non event troll for that so be it. Unless the colouredy warnings are reasonably sensible and consistent, then they are less helpful than a forecaster using his own personal phraseology.

What do I expect for the next event billed red in advance for limerick (I don't mean upgraded as the wolf is at the door)? Worse than darwin? Less than Rachel?

The initial guidance was good I think- North West and exposed/coastal West. The guidance here on darwin was good. The handling of the official colour system not so good.

I don't know why Limerick was included in the Red warning. All the main weather sites such as accuweather, yr.no etc were showing Limerick to nowhere near as bad as the other counties included in the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Malin head sustained winds of 80kmh & gusts of 113kmh at 10am report

16284323692_75e83b77a5_o.pngrachel4 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Great video of storm from NWS OPC, they reported hurricane force winds just off the west coast of ireland and a real possibility of 'sting jet' which given we're still in the midst of this storm I assume is still a danger

"SEVIRI RGB & Meteosat Pseudo-natural color satellite video w/E Atlc hurricane force low"

UIJeHF.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I think its unfair to call people trolls because they feel the storm wasn't that bad. I know it wasn't a non event but it was a standard winter storm IMO and the wind gusts show that.

That doesn't mean to say I'm criticising met for their red warning. I saw the weather charts for myself and it looked like a potent storm so it was the wise thing to do. Its not anyone's fault nor am I blaming anyone. Its just the way the weather goes sometimes. I'm not going to lie and say it was horrific. Will it go down in history? No.

I think the only person who didn't buy in to the severity of this storm was Maq. Anyway I'm sure people are bored with this topic already I didnt like being labeled as a troll for not agreeing it was a bad storm hence my post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It was actually really foul here in the middle of the night. The wind was incredibly strong in the early hours. If there was less damage than expected that might have something to do with people taking more precautions after last year. It's not going to have protected everything but people will have shored up vulnerable fences, weighted their trampolines, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The problem is when we are told this is the worst storm ever and red event flashes everywhere people get a false sense of security when the storm isnt as powerful as expected.

Ah here, who said this was would be the 'worst storm ever'? The regular contributors on here have been saying from day one that this would not compare to the storm of February of last year for example.

Gerald Fleming said the same thing on multiple occasions yesterday too.

Pretty bad in Donegal and Mayo at the moment, ESB reporting quite a lot of faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

What's a sting jet could someone explain please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Come the next superstorm you will have people doing stupid things thinking it wont be that bad and ultimately lives will be lost.

With that said , Thanks to those predicting the weather on here, I trust your forecasts more than ME, and its great seeing how the weather plays-out across the country from all the various posts.
    Well my understanding is that it isn't over yet, to write it off just yet. However, Gerard Fleming was on the News last night saying the wind wouldn't be as bad as Feb last year/ Darwin, and that coastal flooding wouldn't be the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tralee Bay,

Windy here, high waves, sun is shining !

Could be a nice day :)

Think the worst is over !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Vanolder wrote: »
    Few so called experts on here are seething that they completely got it wrong and bought into the hype.

(((HUGS))) for our experts here who give so freely of their time and skill. THANK YOU.... wish I could say that in Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tralee Bay,

Windy here, high waves, sun is shining !

Could be a nice day :)

Think the worst is over !

I have a shopping list here echoes that!

Ah here, who said this was would be the 'worst storm ever'? The regular contributors on here have been saying from day one that this would not compare to the storm of February of last year for example.

Gerald Fleming said the same thing on multiple occasions yesterday too.

Pretty bad in Donegal and Mayo at the moment, ESB reporting quite a lot of faults.

Im not having a go at anyone here, Im talking about the media, seen one newspaper yesterday saying "Stormzilla".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

What's a sting jet could someone explain please
    Rapidly descending winds near the tail of a low's center.
    335122.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Is there much more to come in the mid-west? I'm debating whether or not to put the little guy in the buggy and take the dogs out for our usual walk along the Shannon or to play it safe and let the dogs make do with garden play this morning. It's looking pretty nice out there right now but if we could get caught in winds like there were last night I'd rather not be pushing my son about under trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Graces7 wrote: »
    (((HUGS))) for our experts here who give so freely of their time and skill. THANK YOU.... wish I could say that in Irish!

Ahh its not so much a case of giving .... They live for this s**t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im not having a go at anyone here, Im talking about the media, seen one newspaper yesterday saying "Stormzilla".

The media do that ever time there is even a yellow warning... Met Eireann do not have control over them . If you want to complain , ring the papers, not met eireann.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    THANK YOU.... wish I could say that in Irish!

Go raibh maith agat.

There you go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Gusts have intensified strongly again in last hour in north west Clare - a very rough night and will be glad when this one is over. The short-range charts on met.ie have been fairly accurate for anticipating general movement of this storm along this bit of the coast. And very grateful for the expertise of some members on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I think its unfair to call people trolls because they feel the storm wasn't that bad. I know it wasn't a non event but it was a standard winter storm IMO and the wind gusts show that.

That doesn't mean to say I'm criticising met for their red warning. I saw the weather charts for myself and it looked like a potent storm so it was the wise thing to do. Its not anyone's fault nor am I blaming anyone. Its just the way the weather goes sometimes. I'm not going to lie and say it was horrific. Will it go down in history? No.

I think the only person who didn't buy in to the severity of this storm was Maq. Anyway I'm sure people are bored with this topic already I didnt like being labeled as a troll for not agreeing it was a bad storm hence my post.
    +1 million. No real issue with the warning etc but people on here posting about how they are scared to leave the house, get a grip! Im in donegal, commuted into work this morn as usual, not a bother, slept like a baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement