Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Don't think there's any rain but fierce wind out west Galway

I'm well out in Connemara and beside the sea, it's only in the last ten minutes or so I've heard strong gusts, it's been windy up until now but nothing terribly remarkable. I guess this is the beginning of it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Blizzards in showers?
    Cork airport for 1am: RECENT SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Some nasty gusts around Galway ...worse yet to come according to the forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

RobertKK wrote: »
    Blizzards in showers?
    Cork airport for 1am: RECENT SNOW

Back edge of storm pulls in colder air with wintry showers.

Cheers for twitter link I call it Twatter as have no idea what they talking about. Something about a hashtag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Think those showers that are coming in now in next hour or so is when we will get real blast!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

FYI folks...

US National Weather Service (ie, NOAA) on Twitter ‏@NWSOPC that ASCAT wind retrievals confirm hurricane force winds west of Ireland - pic.twitter.com/7ccbvl7kxj - in other words, a bent occlusion / stingjet setup looks like reality now.
    I looked at the twitter image but I couldn't see anything that resembled a proper sting jet. Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Think those showers that are coming in now in next hour or so is when we will get real blast!;)

You sound like your waiting up for it

I looked at the twitter image but I couldn't see anything that resembled a proper sting jet. Is there something I'm missing?

Try xc weather and click on forecast maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

rilz wrote: »
    Try xc weather and click on forecast maps.
    Don't you mean the observations?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Lightening, thunder, hail and very strong gusts here in NW Donegal. And the power is out the last 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Don't you mean the observations?

If you want. Forecast maps uses charts to show wind speeds, weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Can anyone confirm a gust of 78 knts at cork airport at 1800 yesterday evening while the mean wind speed was at 30 knts for that hour. Since then I haven't seen any reports of gusts over 65 knts. it hasn't been that windy in the Limerick area until the last half hour. It has picked up and it's gusting up to strong gale force.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Xenji wrote: »
    The RTE mast outside town was hit by lightning last night.
    Not sure where you heard that but that's completely unconfirmed at this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm a gust of 78 knts at cork airport at 1800 yesterday evening while the mean wind speed was at 30 knts for that hour. Since then I haven't seen any reports of gusts over 65 knts. it hasn't been that windy in the Limerick area until the last half hour. It has picked up and it's gusting up to strong gale force.

Yeah it's an interesting one, there was discussion about it earlier on in the thread. Even MT Cranium was sceptical of it, but I suppose it could have been a one-off violent gust. Sherkin recorded 61 and Cork 57 the next hour, so it was clearly pretty bad off the south coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I don't think that gust at Cork Airport of nearly 150km/h earlier this evening is correct. I'm on the coast in South Donegal and although I have no way of measuring the speed of the wind, nothing to severe so far. Windy, yes, with strong gusts but not stormy. Spoke with my son in west Dublin at midnight and he said its windy but not very bad. I think this storm has been overhyped a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Very windy here in Derry at the moment. Winds only a sustained 40/50mph due to the New Bridge still being open but closed to high sided vehicles and limited to 30mph.

Lots of driving rain and sleet. Roads flooded in parts, no major damage I've seen out and about. Roads are very quiet as well.

I'm expecting it to pick up around 5am and get much worse than it currently is.

Heading to the North Coast before sunrise as I expect there to be large waves although hightide is now at 2:40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

legomaniac wrote: »
    I don't think that gust at Cork Airport of nearly 150km/h earlier this evening is correct. I'm on the coast in South Donegal and although I have no way of measuring the speed of the wind, nothing to severe so far. Windy, yes, with strong gusts but not stormy. Spoke with my son in west Dublin at midnight and he said its windy but not very bad. I think this storm has been overhyped a bit.

You do now that although Ireland is a small Island the weather in Cork can be completely different to Donegal, same as with Donegal and Dublin, Donegal has not seen or has been due its strongest winds yet and Dublin was never going to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Centre of low must be passing over Derry now. Conditons now normal with gentle breeze and little rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

69 knots at finner Donegal. Highest gust at 2am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Lovely and reasonably calm in Co. Dublin with a nice refreshing breeze. Nothing happening here at the moment. I'm sure it will all change come 7am though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strongest gusts of the night so far in Castlebar, bringing heavy hail showers with them as well, some benefits of insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

Average storm conditions in West Sligo at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

A couple of heavy gusts earlier but we are getting some shelter from the OX mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thunder and lightning in Kerry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Lights have flickered a few times so far tonight. All showers so far seem to be hailstones, few claps of thunder a while ago too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Thunder just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

:eek: Thunder just now.

Where?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Where?!

Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Lovely and reasonably calm in Co. Dublin with a nice refreshing breeze. Nothing happening here at the moment. I'm sure it will all change come 7am though.

Starting to pick up now. Working out near blanchardstown, went out for a smoke and you'd definitely know it's there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

its been fairly quite in Galway the last few hours, was out in it not too long ago, the worst is not supposed to hit until around 5 or 6am?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement