Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At 0400h highest gusts were 68 kts at Mace Head followed by 65 at Malin and 63 at Finner and Belmullet (and M4 buoy which has apparently had a hit to its pressure sensor). Although western counties now in the strongest gradient the peak may come a bit later as a trough rotates around the storm.

I'm currently thinking Dublin may slowly ramp up towards 60-62 kts peak gusts between 0900 and 1300h, the low is not racing along and daytime instability will tend to compensate for any weakening of gradient.

Best lightning appears to be in Kerry

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

where the coldest air aloft is moving in, would expect some heavy snow showers for those in higher parts of west Munster this morning. That trend will very slowly move north over the next 24 hours as upper temps remain too mild for snow closer to the low, perhaps by evening this will change for Connacht and west Ulster. Until then mostly hail or cold rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

wooo, thunder/lightning here in Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Massive hailstones just woke me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Solid nights sleep in limerick, far better than many windy nights over the last while. Oh so quiet out there now. From inside the house sounds exactly like yesterday's snowy morning. There's more to come I guess but the rating and official preparation for this compared to "Darwin" is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Power just gone in South Galway. Raining, thunder and lightning.... windy too but often experienced worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reporting in from the South Kerry mountains... wild up here but I could hear when the direction changed.. The dogs were barking around five so I went to let them out and the western sky whitened with lightning. Downstairs was easier, quieter, but sleeping on an air mattress is a skill I have not yet learned. The cats were put out as they could not work out where I was and why ....upstairs again now and power and modem are fine thankfully.. Hope all are safe.

Xenji wrote: »
    You do now that although Ireland is a small Island the weather in Cork can be completely different to Donegal, same as with Donegal and Dublin, Donegal has not seen or has been due its strongest winds yet and Dublin was never going to get them.

We are surrounded by different seas and ocean each with its own weather systems. It was the same on the island; where two great seas met. It causes a volatility never to be underestimated or ignored. Here on the west coast we are on the Atlantic.. if you are ever in Kerry go to Mizen Head and look out to sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I don't think it has been as bad as expected down here.
    Edit: Just read MT's update, peak is slightly delayed. Drive to work in the next half hour should be fun.

Rougies wrote: »
    Possibly to cut down on the media's sensationalism causing widespread panic, eg. the Evening Herald guys on the streets in Dublin wearing flashing red lights on their heads saying liberty hall is gonna blow down. And honestly that's only slightly exaggerating what they're like.

I think people in risky areas were aware enough through the orange warning and will be checking for updates. That's what the orange warning is for, BE PREPARED, ie check for updates, keep an eye on developments and decide whether to take serious action in case of a red warning update.

Urban rural divide! We are more used to coping. In any national emergency rural will always do better.

Fill a few flasks with boiling water too. Might come in handy for tea/coffee/filling a hot water bottle

This is where being multi fuelled works. I have a bottled gas hob and solid fuel range so always the means to heat water, What always works is a small camping stove ,,, useful for picnics in summer then

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    A few grand ash trees on the neighbours ditch, fall into my field, they're mine... heh, heh.

No they are not!

dublinjen wrote: »
    Gotta agree with the dog here, you're one brave lad thinking about walking on the beach!

Always heed the dog!

jimbis wrote: »
    It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Be at least a few days till I can get up and clear it.

But by all means everyone else get ther fires going! I was looking forward to making tea on the fire if the power went :p

The small range here is a boon. One day this week it would not light for smoking and I was at a loss then I remembered I had closed the damper the night before. Sad that they did not connect it to the water supply but I keep huge pans of water atop. In this weather it really is grand.. stews etc cook great in the oven there

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

The wind just picking up here again in South Tipperary

Rougies wrote: »
    I'm just back from a walk with the dog. I waited until the squall line was almost overhead so I could be out in it as it pass through. For science like.
    I did stay away from trees though.

I am sure I will learn what happens when you dont take the dog out, when it gets light.... My two sleep in the extension as they and the cats dont mix and I am sure I will be there with bleach etc later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

All well here.

Just dropped friends to Rail station in Tralee, opted to take train as flight from Faranfore to Dublin delayed this AM.

No evidence of any damage on the roads, though lots of surface water.

Perhaps storm was less destructive than anticipated,

Stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A rough blustery night here in North Offaly but nothing out of the ordinary, we are well sheltered here. Perhaps a second swipe later on but so far, not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Ouch! Can see why it's a red warning. Hail and very strong winds in north Donegal. Haven't slept a wink all night.

Looking at met, they say until 2pm? The worst wind I endured in Ireland was in Leitrim; it was the year of the Tsunami and soon after it. Six hours of appalling winds, then a pause then another six hours... Is this the pattern now? Waiting for daylight now

This weather always make me hungry! Off to cook fried potatoes, sausages and fried bread with honey....:) saving my last egg a while yet..for pancakes if we cannot get out another week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Ouch! Can see why it's a red warning. Hail and very strong winds in north Donegal. Haven't slept a wink all night.

For such a small island the weather can be really different from one place to the next down here in the inland southeast its breezy at best this mornin and lovely clear skies its was gusty yesterday evenin when the rain band past through then the wind died right down and never really got goin again ....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

starting to pick up here now in Co. Limerick. Got very cold and then the wind arrived. I don't envy people heading to work in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been awake here in Cavan since before three and it's been a bit blustery but nothing unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just had a gust of 51.7mph, its been fairly benign night, starting to ramp up a little now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Any >130 km/hr yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Very violent in Castlebar all night and no let up this morning. I'm amazed some of the schools are open around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Morning all, violent gusts here in Donegal at the moment. I wouldn't like to venture out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Being on nightshift tonight not too bad in Sligo although I've heard reports of fallen trees. Wouldn't say it feels anything out of the ordinary.

Long list of school closures in Kerry http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/school-closures/ They learned a lot last February. Is that it weather wise now please? It is quiet and calm up here now. Stars shining through the trees and I watched a car on the top road driving very slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

South Donegal, it doesn't seem to be living up to the hype. Just up, slept like a baby, took dog out to field for his morning business and seems like a fairly standard gale at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement