Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone watching that <snip> on prime time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The whole reason that pictures cause 'offense' is because it's a taboo in Islam to depict the prophet
    Kinda MniU. It's a little more than that and quite the different clash of cultures.

Most easy going folks in the west see Islam as "ah sure it's like Christianity" and it is in many ways, but in many ways it is most certainly not.

1) Christian texts from the very start of the faith in the 1st century were examined and open to interpretation, even change, as they were seen as divinely inspired, rather than divine. In Islam the Quran is seen as the direct word of god and as such is beyond external/historical interpretation.

2) Islam is a religion of society itself, in faith and politic and practical, the separation of faith and politics is beyond the Pale in Islam. While Christianity has been very political over the centuries, it retains the separation. IE nowhere in Islam will you find the equivalent of "my kingdom is not of this earth" or " give unto Caesar what is Caesar's".

Islam was born and bred of the middle east, an extension of Judaism and Christianity, Christianity was "blessed" to have been born of that area, but fostered as a small child by the Greco Roman world and it's philosophies(hence Christians can eat pork and not have boys mickeys mutilated as tenets of their faith. The historical Jesus would likely have a nuclear powered rabbinical shítfit about that)

3) it depends on the "Islam" you look at. Shia folks have little issue with portraits of people and animals, that's a Sunni thang. Cliff notes, as the Americans say and in Very broad strokes..: Shia = Catholics, in spirit and in taste. Sunni = Protestants, all the way from easy going anglicans to puritan fcukwits.

TL;DR? to a Muslim, even a laissez faire Muslim, any attack on their prophet hits deep, way deeper than your average European may think, even a religious one. It's more an insult to them, as much as to the faith/prophet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

token101 wrote: »
    If people start posting these cartoons on Boards, will moderators start actively removing them as this puts them in a bad legal place with this blasphemy law?

Islam is a vile religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

emmetlego wrote: »
    The pope would speak for most (70 +%) PRACTICING Irish Catholics.

So you surveyed 70% of all practicing Irish Catholics? Or is that just something you pulled out of your ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Islam is a vile religion.

Can you post up something every hour so we know you're still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

drumswan wrote: »
    Ok chief, belief systems have no relevance to quality of life, literacy levels, health, birth rates, scientific progression or life expectancy. Oh wait they do and have been shown to directly influence all of these throughout history.

Dunce cap for you, go and stand in the corner.

Nice. Attribute a whole bunch of things to me that I didn't say and then belittle me.
    Quality in here doesn't change over time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Zamboni wrote: »
    Nice. Attribute a whole bunch of things to me that I didn't say and then belittle me.
    Quality in here doesn't change over time.

Heres what you said.
    Zamboni wrote: »
    What are you scared of exactly?
    Human being breed and die.
    In the wider scheme of things its pretty irrelevant what retarded belief system is in place is any particular geographic location.

Reading it again it sounds even sillier. Dont worry, we cant be on top of our game all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

K4t wrote: »
    Please don't. I am sufficiently terrified.

When will people realise and understand that freedom of expression has never harmed anybody, nor ever will.

The late Ian Paisley expressed himself quite freely and looks where that got us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Richard wrote: »
    The late Ian Paisley expressed himself quite freely and looks where that got us.
    No place worse than if he did not have the right to freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

drumswan wrote: »
    Heres what you said.

The post I was responding to illustrated a fear of the spread of populations into Europe. There is nothing really to fear.
    Many religions have existed on this island over the millennia longs before notions of nations. Animism, paganism, christianity. Peoples have come and gone.
    My questions is what does it matter over time.
    You might value scientific progress and the rest of your list in the here and now...Does it really matter what your great great children believe in?
    It can be difficult for us to think outside of the human lifespan but it can offer some interesting perspective on human values.
    For example, I have no further wish to trade insults with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Areyouwell wrote: »
    So you surveyed 70% of all practicing Irish Catholics? Or is that just something you pulled out of your ass?

No, thanks for the aggressive tones. My ass is probably something you could equate with. It's a quote from the Irish Catholic newspaper after a poll they did a few years ago, I took a few percentages off for years, and age profile changing… it could be still 88%! Mass going Catholics would in my experience be very/faily pro Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

not yet wrote: »
    The most popular name 4 years running in Antwerp was Muhammad.
    In the UK it was last year. But so what? It is an overwhelmingly popular Muslim name. No Christian name has anywhere the same level of support amongst Christians.
    It's reckoned that in 25 years Sweden will be 51% Muslim as will some other European countries in 50 years..
    I doubt that.
    6 million Muslims in France, Every single Muslim on earth is hot wired to convert the plant to Islam...

Christians are supposed to convert non-Christians. Not many bother. I think it's the same amongst Muslims. If they try and convert you, just politely decline.
    Run People, run away and don't come back..
    I'll start building my spaceship.

I'm worried about this Islamophobia which currently seems to be sweeping the western world. Reminds me of historical anti-Irish discrimination in GB and the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Did someone git the < snip > ... ;)
    Freedom of speech and expresshun ... Je suis Charlie ...

Seriously? He inspired decades of hatred and killing. The man was the devil's spawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And the other part of my question. The majority???

You honestly don't know what a majority means? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bambi wrote: »
    D'ya reckon? This sham isn't some tool on a street corner with a megaphone, he's part of the biggest mosque in the country so his views can't be that upsetting to the nice normal members of the muslim community in Ireland. I'd imagine the salafist community in Ireland will be four square behind this goon.

Did anybody actually stay tuned in to watch the last interview? I was talking about Choudary.

Seriously? He inspired decades of hatred and killing. The man was the devil's spawn.
    As was his right.

The hatred and the killing wasn't done because of Paisley. And he is not an excuse for either.

Nodin wrote: »
    You honestly don't know what a majority means? Seriously?

It's misleading. 51% as opposed to…. 70/80% That's a proper majority!

I'm leaving here, before there's a FATWA out against me!

Enjoy the world domination. Allah be praised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To be fair, Paisleys use of free speech did more or less bring down the Sunningdale agreement and prolong a bitter divide and conflict far longer than needed.

• Advertisement

As was his right.

The hatred and the killing wasn't done because of Paisley. And he is not an excuse for either.

Oh good grief. Paisley inspired a couple of decades of Loyalist hit squads and murderers, get your facts right ya fool!

As I said previously, I'm out of here. Just had to correct you on your lies here!

Good fecking night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Whats with all the snips on the first few posts of this thread? Its on the TV for fcuks sake so how can it be libellous?!

Boards.ie: The Daniel O' Donnell of internet forums. "Now yer borin"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

remember not so long ago when sinead o'connor did this....

there were people in this country baying for her blood :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

How Miriam kept her composure, particularly in regards to the last sad excuse for a human being is beyond me.

He was so smug and aggressive in his body language, pointing to the camera in nearly a threatening manner.

Comparing the killings in Paris to that of the killings in Iraq, the killings in Paris were due to some little retarded fundamentalist f*ckface who took offence to cartoons depicting their oh so sacred religion in a bad light.
    The absolute irony of it is near unbelievable.

People like this man should not be tolerated, his opinions should not be aired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

fryup wrote: »
    remember not so long ago when sinead o'connor did this....

there were people in this country baying for her blood :cool:

Thankfully today people just think she's a ****in headcase. Regardless of the sins of the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

blacklilly wrote: »
    Comparing the killings in Paris to that of the killings in Iraq, the killings in Paris were due to some little retarded fundamentalist f*ckface who took offence to cartoons depicting their oh so scared religion in a bad light.
    The absolute irony of it is near unbelievable.

People like this man should not be tolerated, his opinions should not be aired

freedom of speech??

To be fair, Paisleys use of free speech did more or less bring down the Sunningdale agreement and prolong a bitter divide and conflict far longer than needed.
    Even if that is true, it does not mean that absolute freedom of speech is wrong. You can't have your own idea of freedom of speech with limits attached, or else you're are just quoting that idiot on prime time tonight.
    Oh good grief. Paisley inspired a couple of decades of Loyalist hit squads and murderers, get your facts right ya fool!

As I said previously, I'm out of here. Just had to correct you on your lies here!

Good fecking night!
    Paisley didn't force people to murder each other, and certainly not by the use of his tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Reasoning with a man like this is a waste of time. He lives on benefit and then insults everything British. He is a delusional man who has been indoctrinated into an ideology which has engulfed his humanity leaving little more than a few verses of the Koran and vitriol. He is the very image of the dangers of irrationality and belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

fryup wrote: »
    freedom of speech??

He can speak all he wants it just shouldn't be given air time. He is a dangerous man and also commented upon the use of Shannon airport in the discussion. I hope a very close eye is being kept on him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

wprathead wrote: »
    Way to sneak in some Homophobia into the debate

Go away u fool, 12 people were murdered by a nutcase group who even killed one of their own, now is not the time to pretend you're a victim.

Did not realise it was that bad in Sweden.

Yikes!

You go away aswell with your racism. "That bad" and "yikes". Muslim =/= murderer.

Advertisement