Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone watching that <snip> on prime time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

blacklilly wrote: »
    I have no idea, I don't know you but it is absolutely naive to think that if I was speaking from a position of authority to some that my words would have no influence them,
    Your lack of faith in humanity is genuinely concerning. Most times I listen to the radio I am incited to hatred of a number of things. But that doesn't mean I go out and murder people.
    Anyway, thankfully we live in a society where incitement of hatred is not tolerated
    It is tolerated by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

K4t wrote: »
    Your lack of faith in humanity is genuinely concerning. Most times I listen to the radio I am incited to hatred of a number of things. But that doesn't mean I go out and murder people.

It is tolerated by me.

Hold on, I've great faith in humanity ( don't know how you came to the conclusion that I don't) what I don't have faith in is fundamentalists and they are a real, however small threat to our civilised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

newmug wrote: »
    Go away u fool, 12 people were murdered by a nutcase group who even killed one of their own, now is not the time to pretend you're a victim.
    Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Snip this and snip that, the language, unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

blacklilly wrote: »
    Hold on, I've great faith in humanity ( don't know how you came to the conclusion that I don't) what I don't have faith in is fundamentalists and they are a real, however small threat to our civilised society.
    You're letting them win. You're implying that what they have to say is more powerful, more important. Nobody walking on this earth has something more important to say than the right for me to say they're full of sh1t.

I would rather listen to Islamic extremists/terrorists on the radio everyday for a year inciting hatred and violence against me if I knew that they were doing it anyway out of sight and out of the public sphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're letting them win. You're implying that what they have to say is more powerful, more important. Nobody walking on this earth has something more important to say than the right for me to say they're full of sh1t.

I would rather listen to Islamic extremists/terrorists on the radio everyday for a year inciting hatred and violence against me if I knew that they were doing it anyway out of sight and out of the public sphere.

But te worrying thing is that when its known who the potential dangers are, they can still commit murder.

The French authorities knew those 2 brothers had been to Syria, and one was also recently only out of prison, so I am sure they were on their watch list.

The fact that they were still able to do what they did in Paris shows that being on a watch-list isn't always guaranteed to stop you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Is this thread about circumcision?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I wonder how Trinity College feels about his views.

Was thinking this myself, probably not enough reason to fire him but surprised he is allowed talk so openly like that when he is constantly referred to as a Trinity lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Can someone provide a link to said interview?

Drakares wrote: »
    Can someone provide a link to said interview?

Think this is it

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10362536/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Paisley didn't force people to murder each other, and certainly not by the use of his tongue.

Now we know not to take you seriously!

He inspired decades of hatred and murder.

How big is that rock you've been living under??? Good grief! Troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

These people shouldn't be given a platform.

The irony is staggering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Miriam got utterly pasted by a medievalist psycho. She's an embarrassment to whatever profession she claims to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The process of being radicalised is strange. Unless a traumatic event causes it it happens over time.
    This happens to any group. take religion in Ireland. If I met someone who had no opinion (and indeed had no previous experience of religion) I could discuss the matter with them. they may agree with me but may not. If however i tried to convince an atheist that god is real or tried to convince a very catholic person that God isn't real, I'd get nowhere.
    The human brain goes through a process where people reinforce their strongly held beliefs when they hear information that contradicts them. there was an interesting experiment performed in the US during the Bush/Kerry election. They got people to rate how strong a supporter they were. they gave bot sides information which made their politician look bad. they found that those who were of medium support initially dropped in their support. However those who were at an extreme actually came out as stronger supporters.
    That means that if someone really, really believes in something and you tell them something bad, they'll believe even more. Whereas moderates like you and i will actually change our opinions, they can't.

It's the same with radicals. They are at the very extreme and they are unbalanced. they will suck in both positive and negative influences but in their mind it'll all strengthen their opinion.

This goes for all radicals. Christians who scream at abortion doctors or blow up clinics, Israeli settlers, members of ISIS, their brains all work in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Miriam got utterly pasted by a medievalist psycho. She's an embarrassment to whatever profession she claims to be in.

I know people love this Paxo school of interviewing where it's more about the celebrity aspect of an interviewer 'sorting somebody out' on TV, even if this just often equates to a two-sided shouting match but interviewing a nutcase can also be about giving them enough rope to hang themselves on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Fcuking snip snip snipety snip.....

Is this thread about vasectomies :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

These people shouldn't be given a platform.
    The irony is staggering.

Not necessarily. You can allow someone free speech without providing them with a prime time platform to trumpet it from.

I'm not opposed to free speech, this guy can say what he wants in his own time. But I'd question as to whether giving him airtime on our national station to suggest that attacks on Ireland might be justified due to the US using Shannon airport is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The irony is staggering.

Not really
    Free speech doesn't mean you HAVE to be interviewed on live TV not having a platform does not equate to your freedom of speech being impeached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

wprathead wrote: »
    Not really
    Free speech doesn't mean you HAVE to be interviewed on live TV not having a platform does not equate to your freedom of speech being impeached

Well, for RTE and Iona, that's exaclty what it means.

Those religious bigots have made sure that a bigot HAS to be on TV with a pro-SSM person every time the subject is debated.

Religious fúcknuts of all forms are able to hold the country to these silly standards just because they get "offended".

they should all be told to just go and shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

fryup wrote: »
    my point is... some people were saying during the troubles that gerry adams shouldn't have been given air time because he was seen as a dangerous militant

in short..we can't ban people from the airwaves just because we don't agree with their views

It wasn't just talk about Sinn Fein. There was a ban in place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9394_British_broadcasting_voice_restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I missed it last night. Hope to catch on the RTE player later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If you don't like it here and our way well then you can move along.

Nobody is forcing anybody here.

95% of people are good honest people looking for better living. But those small minority can go on one if they can't take a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

not yet wrote: »
    The most popular name 4 years running in Antwerp was Muhammad.

It's reckoned that in 25 years Sweden will be 51% Muslim as will some other European countries in 50 years..

6 million Muslims in France, Every single Muslim on earth is hot wired to convert the plant to Islam...

Run People, run away and don't come back..

Bold for bullshít.

None of my muslim friends, who happen do practice their religion, preach to me in any way shape or form.

not yet wrote: »
    The most popular name 4 years running in Antwerp was Muhammad.

It's reckoned that in 25 years Sweden will be 51% Muslim as will some other European countries in 50 years..

6 million Muslims in France, Every single Muslim on earth is hot wired to convert the plant to Islam...

Run People, run away and don't come back..

Jaysus there's a Muslim lad sat across from me in work for the last 2 years and he hasn't once tried to convert me. Do you think he is just waiting for the right moment? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

If you don't like it here and our way well then you can move along.

Nobody is forcing anybody here.

95% of people are good honest people looking for better living. But those small minority can go on one if they can't take a joke.

Its not 95% or anywhere close unfortunately
    In a 2007 Pew Research poll in response to a question on whether suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets to defend Islam could be justified,[27] in Europe:
    64% of Muslims in France believed it could never be justified, 19% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
    70% of Muslims in Britain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 12% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
    83% of Muslims in Germany believed it could never be justified, 6% believed it could be justified rarely, 6% sometimes, and 1% thought it could be justified often.
    69% of Muslims in Spain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 10 % sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
    In mainly Muslim countries:
    45% of Muslims in Egypt believed it could never be justified, 25% believed it could be justified rarely, 20% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
    61% of Muslims in Turkey believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 14% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
    43% of Muslims in Jordan believed it could never be justified, 28% believed it could be justified rarely, 24% sometimes, and 5% thought it could be justified often.
    28% of Muslims in Nigeria believed it could never be justified, 23% believed it could be justified rarely, 38% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
    69% of Muslims in Pakistan believed it could never be justified, 8% believed it could be justified rarely, 7% sometimes, and 7% thought it could be justified often.
    71% of Muslims in Indonesia believed it could never be justified, 18% believed it could be justified rarely, 8% sometimes, and 2% thought it could be justified often.
    http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/pg-2014-07-01-islamic-extremism-10/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_attitudes_towards_terrorism#Polls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Freedom of speech is like water, you need it to live but if you drink too much of it you'll end up in hospital"

He couldn't have made that sound more menacing if he tried :pac:

"Sure is a nice city you got here ... be a shame if someone blew it up."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

drumswan wrote: »

Now you're defining people according to one question with no context.

take for example the question "Is it ok to kill people?" My general answer would be no. I can however imagine a situation where it would be justified. say if it involved killing a person who was shooting up a school bus. I would think it's something most people would agree with me on.

My thoughts on it are very liberal though. There are plenty who would come up with less stringent criteria. In the US for example a large number of people think it's ok to shoot someone if they are in your house. Even if they are unarmed and not posing a threat, many people think it's ok.

In northern Ireland a large number of paramilitary groups targeted civilian areas. Enniskillen and Warrington for example. These people did at one point enjoy a lot of sympathy in their communities.

A large number of people think the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was justified. That's bombing a civilian city with nuclear weapons. Suicide bombings are nothing compared to nuking civilians.

Judging a group of people based on one question is wrong.

Grayson wrote: »
    Now you're defining people according to one question with no context.

take for example the question "Is it ok to kill people?" My general answer would be no. I can however imagine a situation where it would be justified.

Can you imagine a situation where suicide bombing against civilian targets would be justified?

People, perhaps understandably, simply want to believe the best about Muslims, but the reality is different. We'll get nowhere if we dont start acknowledging the basic reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well, for RTE and Iona, that's exaclty what it means.

Those religious bigots have made sure that a bigot HAS to be on TV with a pro-SSM person every time the subject is debated.

Religious fúcknuts of all forms are able to hold the country to these silly standards just because they get "offended".

they should all be told to just go and shíte.

I'll be voting in favour of SSM but I favour a debate on the subject.
    It's something of an irony fail to bleat about the chilling effects for free speach that the past 48 hours have created and then stamp your foot when it's suggested that a debate should actually requires two sides to argue a point, since a single point of view isn't a debate it's propaganda. That's Selim and Chowdry's world, the choosing of who has a right not to be offended by sombody elses opinion.

Personally I'm deighted to see these two numpties on prime time, people need to hear what far too many are unwilling to discuss or confront. Without debate you can't challenge an oponent you can only disenfranchise them from democracy, and that's never worked out too well. So let them debate away by all means, the more they yammer the more people will question their ideology.

• Advertisement

Heres some more opinion polls on Muslim attitudes

The results are alarming to say the least

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/opinion-polls.htm

Advertisement