Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm not surprised Lewis is sticking with #44 at all, and further, I can't see anyone who wins the WDC here on abandoning their chosen number to use #1 instead. Driver numbers can be very superstitious things, if you've become world champion with a chosen number, I don't think you'd be inclined to ditch it the following year :o

Wasn't 44 the number Lewis had when he won his first Karting Championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Wasn't 44 the number Lewis had when he won his first Karting Championship?

Yep, likewise Nico using #6 was his dad's number I think. I think every driver (except Kimi :D) will have some significance attached to their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,432 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zcott wrote: »
    Last year, when you could pick your own numbers.
    But they said the champ still had to have the number 1. Which is why seb raced as number 1 rather than the number 5 he will race under this year. Check last year's numbers. So, when were the rules changed, again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But they said the champ still had to have the number 1. Which is why seb raced as number 1 rather than the number 5 he will race under this year. Check last year's numbers. So, when were the rules changed, again?

Are you sure they said that? I don't remember that being the case since chosen numbers came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I thought the rules were you get #1 or your number, similar to Rossi keeping his number 46 in motogp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Nope, the driver that wins the WDC has the choice to use either his original number he picked or use the number 1 the following season. Seb chose to use the number 1 for this season and will revert back to number 5 next season as he is no longer champion. This was always the case since the numbers were changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I didn't realise they had the option to change their numbers every year. I thought they had the number for their F1 career with #1 reserved for current WDC.

Could seriously mess with a competitor's head. In a hypothetical situation Rosberg scoring more points over a season than Hamilton and picking #44 for sh1ts and giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I didn't realise they had the option to change their numbers every year. I thought they had the number for their F1 career with #1 reserved for current WDC.

Could seriously mess with a competitor's head. In a hypothetical situation Rosberg scoring more points over a season than Hamilton and picking #44 for sh1ts and giggles.

no, the only choice is between a drivers nominated number and #1. otherwise the keep their number for their entire f1 career. there's no re-issuing all numbers every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

no, the only choice is between a drivers nominated number and #1. otherwise the keep their number for their entire f1 career. there's no re-issuing all numbers every year.
    Ah I see, makes sense now. Perhaps a little unfair on newer drivers if all the "lucky" number are taken. Seems trivial alright, but as mentioned drivers can be a superstitious bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Am I alone in thinking the driver numbers thing is a big load of balls?! I fail to see how the old system was holding the sport back; nothing more than a marketing/merchandise gimmick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine that once a driver has left F1 then their former number becomes available for the next rookie to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,432 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Am I alone in thinking the driver numbers thing is a big load of balls?! I fail to see how the old system was holding the sport back; nothing more than a marketing/merchandise gimmick!
    Eh, that's exactly what it is, a marketing gimmick. That's what they said it was. Would be easier to monitize a set number than one changing every year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Happy new year everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

50 years ago today, there was a Grand Prix at the Prince George Circuit in South Africa.

I wouldn't mind a GP on New Years Day providing it was in a warm location and at a good circuit. I know the chances of it happening are very slim, but it would be cool if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Congrats....or not....to Jense. :p He went and got himself hitched.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30647574

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Loophole opens door for 2015 engine upgrades

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

Looks like this year Mercedes might have a bit more competition if anyone can do any decent upgrades to there engines. Might not be just a two horse race this year. Hopefully this will make this year an even more exciting season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

AMKC wrote: »
    Loophole opens door for 2015 engine upgrades

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

Looks like this year Mercedes might have a bit more competition if anyone can do any decent upgrades to there engines. Might not be just a two horse race this year. Hopefully this will make this year an even more exciting season.

Not good news for Honda, or Alonso.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not good news for Honda, or Alonso.

McLaren will probably well protest that on the ground of fairness.

Yet again though, the FIA, who's job it is to write the rules, leave another loophole.

Who the hell is their copyrighter?

What a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The engine loophole is a lot less significant than they are making it out to be in some of the articles. The engine manufacturers need to homologate the 2015 engines before they are allowed to be raced. If a Manufacturer decided they wanted to wait a few races before homologating the 2015 engine, they would have to use the 2014 engine up till that point (aswell as their customer teams).

It's also not as simple as just working on the engines for an extra few months, there would be serious logistics involved in changing the timetables of the engine programs since they would obviously be a long way into the process at this stage aswell as all the manufacturing involved for 2 teams for Renault and Ferrari and 4 teams for Merc.

I'd personally be surprised if any Engine manufacturer makes use of this for more than a few races, it would essentially be sacrificing the first few races with the hope they can catch up later in the season. The real benefit of this loop hole would be in a scenario similar to Renault in the pre season testing last year, if an engine had some serious reliability/cooling problem etc. they would be able to use extra time to fix it before homologating.

On BBC2 tonight at 9PM - Racing Legends: Graham Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    On BBC2 tonight at 9PM - Racing Legends: Graham Hill.

From about 6pm onwards its a great evening of TV on BBC2. Top gear at 7pm and Racing Legends: Barry Sheen at 10:45. Some Darts, Tigers, Volcanoes and QI in there too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The engine loophole is a lot less significant than they are making it out to be in some of the articles. The engine manufacturers need to homologate the 2015 engines before they are allowed to be raced. If a Manufacturer decided they wanted to wait a few races before homologating the 2015 engine, they would have to use the 2014 engine up till that point (aswell as their customer teams).

It's also not as simple as just working on the engines for an extra few months, there would be serious logistics involved in changing the timetables of the engine programs since they would obviously be a long way into the process at this stage aswell as all the manufacturing involved for 2 teams for Renault and Ferrari and 4 teams for Merc.

I'd personally be surprised if any Engine manufacturer makes use of this for more than a few races, it would essentially be sacrificing the first few races with the hope they can catch up later in the season. The real benefit of this loop hole would be in a scenario similar to Renault in the pre season testing last year, if an engine had some serious reliability/cooling problem etc. they would be able to use extra time to fix it before homologating.

I thought the letter from Charlie was that the homologated unit would be as it was in 2014 plus permitted changes. No need to homologate for 2015.
    "The basic homologated power unit will remain that which was homologated for the 2014 season, including any changes made in accordance with paragraph 1 (c) of appendix 4 [of the sporting regulations]."

"As it is not specifically stated... when a power unit may be modified in accordance with appendix 4 [of the technical regulations], we feel that the weighted items (32 in this case) may be introduced at any time during the 2015 season"

The meaning being they can now spread their 32 tokens of changes over the whole season instead of doing it all before the season starts.
    Not a huge advantage really, but a chance to keep a few back to introduce mid season after seeing how the first batch went perhaps.
    You still have restrictions on the number of engines a driver has for the season so you can't spread the changes that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

dloob wrote: »
    I thought the letter from Charlie was that the homologated unit would be as it was in 2014 plus permitted changes. No need to homologate for 2015.

The meaning being they can now spread their 32 tokens of changes over the whole season instead of doing it all before the season starts.
    Not a huge advantage really, but a chance to keep a few back to introduce mid season after seeing how the first batch went perhaps.
    You still have restrictions on the number of engines a driver has for the season so you can't spread the changes that much.

There's an explanation Here that explains it better than I could.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

According to a Spanish newspaper, both the McLaren and Mercedes teams are set to change their liveries for the 2015 season.

El Mundo Deportivo claim that the reigning champions will switch from their predominantly silver livery to a mirrored chrome scheme for next year.
    This chrome colour scheme for Mercedes’ W06 challenger is believed to be called “Kromo” and will be supplied to OZ to use as the colours for the wheels of this season’s car.

Meanwhile, the newspaper also claims that McLaren, as expected, will ditch their silver livery – used since their switch to Mercedes power in 1997 – in favour of something more relevant to the McLaren/Honda partnership.
    El Mundo Deportivo stated that, “Honda does not want [McLaren] to continue with silver because it is a color immediately associated with Mercedes and the ‘Silver Arrows.’

“There are rumors the [2015] car could be orange, McLaren’s traditional color, for testing. But it could also be white, in a double-tribute: to Honda and also because McLaren’s first F1 car was that color” in 1966.

“The final choice could depend largely on whether McLaren has a major sponsor in 2015 or not,” the report added.
    Despite the rumours, the final liveries for the cars are not likely to be revealed until the official car launches. The Mercedes and McLaren car launch dates are still to be announced.

B6mnRtuCQAAGmuC.jpg

Source: http://formulaspy.com/news/formula-1-news/rumour-mclaren-mercedes-teams-change-liveries-9263

It will be nice to see some brighter callers on the track. I always liked the various colours of GP2. It just seems more like a race when theres loads of different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It would be great if they went back to the iconic red and white "Marlboro" colours (they could do it in such a way that doesn't invoke Marlboro).

That "fan rendering" isn't really that nice, its a bit nothing really isn't it? It makes it look like an old Force India. Or Arrows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If Santander fund more to McLaren, I expect them to have a red rear wind with white text. The main body can be white with flashes of red. And have black logos for the main SAP, Mobile 1 and Johnnie Walker sponsors.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Throw on some green and its the force India car

• Advertisement

I hope Mercedes don't have this years car with a chrome paint-job. I not fond of chrome paint-jobs.

Advertisement