Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This wouldn't be the same Ferrari that went about issuing "Cease & Desist" orders to it's own fans making them take down their websites so as to protect it's brand image would it? Or am I thinking of a different Ferrari altogether? :confused:

Maybe it was but wlth all the changes that have been happening at Ferrari and all the people that have left it might very well be a very different Ferrari now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Any news on Marussia and them comming back for 2015?Chilton said to the Beeb in his last TV interview that he was very positive for Marussia and 2015.
    Just googled and it seems that a certain Gene Haas has just bought the Marussia factory.Interesting development there.

www .motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-f1-acquires-marussia-factory/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Any news on Marussia and them comming back for 2015?Chilton said to the Beeb in his last TV interview that he was very positive for Marussia and 2015.
    Just googled and it seems that a certain Gene Haas has just bought the Marussia factory.Interesting development there.

www .motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-f1-acquires-marussia-factory/

I am bit surprised haas is buying the factory. I thought I read someplace he doesn't want to be based in England I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

iano.p wrote: »
    I am bit surprised haas is buying the factory. I thought I read someplace he doesn't want to be based in England I could be totally wrong.

It could be for logistical reasons. Somewhere to keep parts and transportation vehicles during the European races. Also, it might be a better way of availing of Bernie's free airfreight deal as most other F1 teams will be in the same area. The development and component manufacturing could be kept in the US.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Hass has built his own state of the art factory in in the USA for his F1 team exploits.
    So maybe buying the Marussia factory is for having a European base and also for Bernies free dosh,which would kinda make sense.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas everyone! I'm gonna predict that Alonso will finish about 20 points clear of Jenson. I'd love if Honda landed with a great engine but it's not gonna happen. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

The Honda engine sounds good at least anyway, although I read rumours that its thirsty and down on power. Merc apparently have a big step coming in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

veganrun wrote: »
    The Honda engine sounds good at least anyway, although I read rumours that its thirsty and down on power. Merc apparently have a big step coming in power.

Probably running without some of the energy recovery. Most of the engines sounded sweet at the first couple of days testing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Happy Christmas everyone! I'm gonna predict that Alonso will finish about 20 points clear of Jenson. I'd love if Honda landed with a great engine but it's not gonna happen. :P

How very interesting. More predictions please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys, Merry Christmas, anyone know when the year review is on the beeb? Thought it was tomo night....

• Advertisement

Hi guys, Merry Christmas, anyone know when the year review is on the beeb? Thought it was tomo night....

It's on @ 1PM on BBC1 tomorrow.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It's on @ 1PM on BBC1 tomorrow.

Seen that alright but thought it was mmore about Hamilton. Usually it's on at night.

Racecar Engineering has a really good free PDF review of the 2014 season with loads of technical information in it. I think you have to register on their website to download it, but that's free to do also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Are we talking a 23-3 massacre or something more competitive like 185-165?:p

At this moment in time I can only see McLaren struggling for a top 6 constructors finish. Great driver line up, but serious question marks over both the engine and McLaren's ability to design a competitive car after flopping in 2013 and 2014.

Did anybody watch the BBC's F1 review yesterday at all? I never got to see it.

no, missed on red button too, probably repeated again on RB

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

Ferrari and Mcclaren are losing out on a lot of money with Marussia leaving according to GPTODAY website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

andy3695 wrote: »
    Ferrari and Mcclaren are losing out on a lot of money with Marussia leaving according to GPTODAY website.

I'd imagine so. Ferrari would lose out on engine money and mclaren on other tech. I'd say Marussia owed both a fair bit of money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Caterham could be in trouble Air Asia has lost a plane in the last 24 hours, which will result in Tony Fernandez loosing a massive amount of money/value of his investments, which means less funding available for Caterham.

I also found it strange that Lloyd's have said they are at the top of a list of creditors owed a total of £31m by Marussia, the strange thing about this is if Marussia had stayed operating they would have been due £40m in prize money. Marussia made losses of £29 million in 2014, but with prize money does that not mean they would be up £11m

Yep, it was good. The only thing I didn't like was the choice of music during the end sequence. But that's just nit picking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

GarIT wrote: »
    Caterham could be in trouble Air Asia has lost a plane in the last 24 hours, which will result in Tony Fernandez loosing a massive amount of money/value of his investments, which means less funding available for Caterham.

Caterham have nothing to do with Tony Fernandez or Air Asia anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Caterham have nothing to do with Tony Fernandez or Air Asia anymore.

Is he not still currently the owner? The sale fell through didn't it?

GarIT wrote: »
    Is he not still currently the owner? The sale fell through didn't it?

No it's essentially owned by the teams creditors now while the administrator looks for a buyer. There will be a big messy court case at some stage in the future to sort out who was at fault for the deal falling through but the team has been abandoned by both parties and left in debt.

I had a look at the 2015 F1 entry list and Lewis is sticking with the number 44 so there will be no car with the number 1 on the grid for next year.

The last time that happened was the 1994 season when no car had the number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Makes sense for Lewis. Those caps won't sell themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

GarIT wrote:
    I also found it strange that Lloyd's have said they are at the top of a list of creditors owed a total of £31m by Marussia, the strange thing about this is if Marussia had stayed operating they would have been due £40m in prize money. Marussia made losses of £29 million in 2014, but with prize money does that not mean they would be up £11m

they'd need to have survived until the end of the 2015 season before getting the prize money.

there's also losses from other years and other creditors owed money

they'd need to have survived until the end of the 2015 season before getting the prize money.

there's also losses from other years
    and other creditors owed money

Weren't previous years debt cleared at the start of 2014 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,050 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I had a look at the 2015 F1 entry list and Lewis is sticking with the number 44 so there will be no car with the number 1 on the grid for next year.

The last time that happened was the 1994 season when no car had the number 1.

i thought it was previously stated that the reigning champion HAD to have number 1 on the car - when was that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

i thought it was previously stated that the reigning champion HAD to have number 1 on the car - when was that changed?

Last year, when you could pick your own numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm not surprised Lewis is sticking with #44 at all, and further, I can't see anyone who wins the WDC here on abandoning their chosen number to use #1 instead. Driver numbers can be very superstitious things, if you've become world champion with a chosen number, I don't think you'd be inclined to ditch it the following year :o

Advertisement