Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its worth mentioning the relationship between hp and
    torque. Power is dependent on Torque and RPM. Generally torque peak will be at a lower RPM than peak power.

Horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

So if you wanted to increase HP you could increase the RPM (which they can currently do as they are all shifting 2k early to save fuel and not even bother modifying the Engine maps -which they would do anyway).

How does that work? From that formula Torque and Horsepower are proportional so how can their peaks not coincide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Ferrari are revealing there car on the 30th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Williams have announced their launch date - January 22!

Can't find any other site reporting this - goo.gl/gt1rWl

Don't know if its true or not.

So thats McLaren, Williams & Force India.

That's true, cos I wrote the story.

That's true, cos I wrote the story.

Oh :O

Do you have a source? No one else reporting it! Not on their twitter either!

The source is Sophie Ogg.

• Advertisement

The source is Sophie Ogg.

Who's Sophie Ogg?

Who's Sophie Ogg?

A very nice lady at Williams.

F1 fanatic wrote: »
    Force India announced date on the 21st January is only for a livery launch. The new car will not be shown on that day

Just spoke to Force india. Full launch 21 January, livery and VJM08 with drivers & engineers attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

On BBC2 on Sunday at 9PM - Racing Legends: John Surtees. The only man to win World Championships on two and four wheels :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, does anyone have any tips for the title? I'm kinda stuck between backing Ricciardo or Bottas for an each way bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Really? I'm no betting man but I'd consider sticking a few quid on Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Bottas might be worth a punt.

Hard to believe after the position Williams were in at the end of the 2013 season that we are now considering them possible title contenders! Even a couple of wins in 2015 would be fantastic.

I'd love to see Bottas up there but I hope they can build on 2014 instead of throwing everything at their 2014 car at the expense of 2015.

Well, when I heard about the upgraded fuel injectors from Bosch for the Mercedes ICEs, that's kinda pushed me towards betting on Bottas rather than Ricciardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Well, when I heard about the upgraded fuel injectors from Bosch for the Mercedes ICEs, that's kinda pushed me towards betting on Bottas rather than Ricciardo.

Do you think Bottas will actually beat Hamilton/Rosberg? Or is it just the odds for the merc boys are terrible?

Do you think Bottas will actually beat Hamilton/Rosberg? Or is it just the odds for the merc boys are terrible?

That, and that there's a site that's offering top 3 placing odds for each way bets. Ricciardo was 16-18/1 and Bottas was 28/1 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That, and that there's a site that's offering top 3 placing odds for each way bets. Ricciardo was 16-18/1 and Bottas was 28/1 there.

I've no idea how betting works but if you go with Ricciardo for that each way bet and he finishes 3rd do you still get 16-18/1 or is that just for the win? If so how much do you get if he finishes 3rd?

Back to who to bet on, it's a tough one. Personally I think Ricciardo is a better driver than Bottas but lets call them even for now. Williams have the Merc engine but Red Bull have their chassis plus the relaxing of the engine rules but that works both ways. Then again with Newey gone will it still be as great? Also can Williams follow up on last years form. Its a while since they've ran consistently at the front. Arrrgghhhh....stick a few bob on both. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I've no idea how betting works but if you go with Ricciardo for that each way bet and he finishes 3rd do you still get 16-18/1 or is that just for the win? If so how much do you get if he finishes 3rd?

Back to who to bet on, it's a tough one. Personally I think Ricciardo is a better driver than Bottas but lets call them even for now. Williams have the Merc engine but Red Bull have their chassis plus the relaxing of the engine rules but that works both ways. Then again with Newey gone will it still be as great? Also can Williams follow up on last years form. Its a while since they've ran consistently at the front. Arrrgghhhh....stick a few bob on both. :D

Id rate Ricciardo above Bottas so he'd be my bet. I also dislike Bottas...

You don't get the 16-18/1 odds if he only places. The site I'm talking about is Coral, they're offering 1/5 odds for a top 3 placement, i.e. you'd get 16-18/5 odds on half of your total stake. You won't profit if you do an each way bet were the each way terms are 1/n and your choice's odds are <n/1.

I'm not the best at explaining things concisely. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

You don't get the 16-18/1 odds if he only places. The site I'm talking about is Coral, they're offering 1/5 odds for a top 3 placement, i.e. you'd get 16-18/5 odds on half of your total stake. You won't profit if you do an each way bet were the each way terms are 1/n and your choice's odds are <n/1.

Ah here! :p

• Advertisement

OK, let me use an example.

Ricciardo has odds of 16/1. I place a €5 each way bet with 1/5 odds for placing in the top 3, resulting in a total stake of €10.

If Ricciardo finishes outside the top 3, I win nothing.

If he finishes 2nd or 3rd, it'd be like winning a €5 bet with 16/5 odds. I'd win €21 (my original €5 + €5*16/5).

If he wins, I'd win both the €21 because he finished in the top 3, and another €85 on top of that (the other €5 + €5*16/1), for a total of €106.

Zcott wrote: »
    I'd love to see Bottas up there but I hope they can build on 2014 instead of throwing everything at their 2014 car at the expense of 2015.

They have moved in the right direction since Pat Symonds joined Williams. The team has good foundations to build upon and I think they should have another good season this year.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    They have moved in the right direction since Pat Symonds joined Williams. The team has good foundations to build upon and I think they should have another good season this year.

They definitely have, but we all thought Lotus we're going to be serious contenders in 2014, only to find out they'd spent a fortune on 2014 and nothing for 2015. I'd really love to be wrong and for Williams to be right up there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's a completely different scenario to last year - last year we had an unknown with engine power. It's just that the Mercs had the better engine over Renault last year. So with the same engines, being tweaked mind you, I find it difficult to believe that Renault will have clawed back any ground on the Mercs. The Mercs will be re-fining their engine more, so I don't believe there'll be much equalisation between engine manufacturers.

Unless, Mercs have gone backwards somehow but that would be stupid to suggest. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

Paddy power are giving odds of 33/1 for Bottas or if you fancy an outside bet their giving 50/1 for Massa (No bad considering he had alot of bad luck last year).

Zcott wrote: »
    They definitely have, but we all thought Lotus we're going to be serious contenders in 2014, only to find out they'd spent a fortune on 2014 and nothing for 2015. I'd really love to be wrong and for Williams to be right up there again.

Another blow to Lotus was the departure of James Alison. They lost two of their sponsors to Williams too which won't help the Lotus teams finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Flights just booked to Shanghai, corporate box tickets sorted for entire weekend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Surely Ferraris winless streak cant go on for much longer? Currently 33 races without a win. They'll get at least two this year.
    Vettels confidence was smashed by Riccairdo last year but against Raikkonen, he'll be much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Surely Ferraris winless streak cant go on for much longer? Currently 33 races without a win. They'll get at least two this year.
    Vettels confidence was smashed by Riccairdo last year but against Raikkonen, he'll be much happier.

Hmmmmmm, I'm not sure it works that way.

It really depends on the car they produce, rumblings that they are already playing catch up also. Might be another while yet for a win, they just need some consistent points or podiums before wins can be mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The only way I see Vettel winning a race this year is with rain and a ton of luck.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement