Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare Wednesday

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Can't begrudge anyone a few jars but if a betting firm came up with a stunt like this to encourage people to gamble their dole, then I would have a problem with it.

Didn't something like this happen a year or so back with a supermarket chain issuing fliers with children's allowance special offers, featuring essential stuff like baby food, nappies, toddler's knitted cardigans and slabs of lager?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Vintners association and Heineken Ireland wont like those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Ah The Blacker, fair play to them.

I see no problem. Diceys targets it's clientele. And Weatherspoons. So I'd be a tad hypocritical if I was inclined to get on my high horse over this, which I'm not anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Christ almighty. This is why I would prefer dole to be lowered and some food vouchers for many instead. No motivation for some to leave it! Plus genuine cases of people who have a family and fallen on hard times should get more out of the wasters portion. (waster being someone able bodied who has been on the dole for over 7 years and I know a few)

I think it should be means tested more . Why should a somebody who lost their job, has worked and paid taxes all their life, be paid the same as a career government artist ?

It is a very inequitable system that can be exploited easily at the expense of productive members of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A condom or to have never prepared a CV at a guess...

You know there are plenty of people (myself, my siblings, my boyfriend and my friends being just a few examples) from Coolock who are in permanent employment, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Can't begrudge anyone a few jars but if a betting firm came up with a stunt like this to encourage people to gamble their dole, then I would have a problem with it.
    I can, that money is supposed to maintain them. I don't pay taxes so these wasters can decorate the landlord's house.
    Didn't something like this happen a year or so back with a supermarket chain issuing fliers with children's allowance special offers, featuring essential stuff like baby food, nappies, toddler's knitted cardigans and slabs of lager?
    Don't mind that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I can, that money is supposed to maintain them. I don't pay taxes so these wasters can piss it down the urinal.

Don't mind that.

Are people on the dole not allowed to drink at all?

Even those on the dole deserve at least some small social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You're correct, it was a centra store that advertised children's allowance day specials

Are people on the dole not allowed to drink at all?
    No, dole is for the essentials. Booze is not an essential.
    Even those on the dole deserve at least some small social life.
    Visit friends or play sports, social life =/ pubs and clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Is it a working mans club?

• Advertisement

Is it a working mans club?
    Me thinks the shamless twats who would avail of this offer wouldn't know what work is. If they were available for work like they're supposed to be they wouldn't be drinking on a wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Surely the NSAI have something to say about the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If it's the Blacker warfare would be more apt.

Monday morning is the dole club in the blacker,big session,Wednesdays are pretty quiet

I can, that money is supposed to maintain them. I don't pay taxes so these wasters can decorate the landlord's house.

If they're pissin every penny they get down the toilet in that place then I agree. But a few jars one day a week? Hardly taking the piss is it?

Just because someone is on the dole doesn't mean they can't have some kind of social life. Its good in the long term and staves off the loneliness and depression that can often come with unemployment. Whats wrong with a few former workmates meeting up once a week to catch up for a drink?

Five pints at €15 euro isn't going do much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

So someone on social welfare gets a few cheap drinks. Big deal. I object more to my tax money paying politician's expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No, dole is for the essentials. Booze is not an essential.
    Many wouldnt agree Iwasfrozen, they reckon the taxpayer should be paying for them to live the same standard, as well... Taxpayers! The Iphone, nights out, subscription tv... Thats Irish austerity 2015...
    So someone on social welfare gets a few cheap drinks. Big deal. I object more to my tax money paying politician's expenses.
    One amounts to a few 000,000 one amounts to €21,000,000,000...
    Not everyone works Mon-Fri.
    There are people whose weekend is Sunday and Monday so it would make sense their night out would be Sunday.
    But carry on......
    This is the same place that has Welfare Wednesday, I standby my original statement, there may be a few exceptions alright, I am sure doctors, lawyers etc are amongst them in that kind of a place...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Clever by the pub, its generated alot of of publicity, alot more than if it was just three euro Wednesdays

If they're pissin every penny they get down the toilet in that place then I agree. But a few jars one day a week? Hardly taking the piss is it?
    When a person is living off the money of others the shouldn't be pissing any amount of it away. That should be common sense.

Added to the fact these wasters are supposed to be available for work but if they're drinking on wednesday night they're hardly available for work thursday morning are they?
    Just because someone is on the dole doesn't mean they can't have some kind of social life. Its good in the long term and staves off the loneliness and depression that can often come with unemployment.
    What is it with us Irish that we seem to think alcohol = social life?
    Whats wrong with a few former workmates meeting up once a week to catch up for a drink?
    As long as they've earned the money themselves no problem at all.
    Five pints at €15 euro isn't going do much harm.
    If one of my family members was pissing 8% of their income down the toilet one night a week I'd step in, but these people think it's normal.

Imagine if everyone on the lve register had this sort of view. 370,000 people on the live register, at 15 euro each that's 5,550,000 a week, over one year that's 288,600,000 injected into the publican industry care of the Irish taxpayer.

The state sets the amount for dole. As far as I am concerned they can do what they like with it when they collect it.

• Advertisement

auldgranny wrote: »
    The state sets the amount for dole. As far as I am concerned they can do what they like with it when they collect it.
    Imagine every week you give money a waster to buy a hot dinner, you think you're doing good but you later find out that waster is spending your money not on a hot dinner but buying drink in the local.

You do what any normal person would do and cut the waster off but now imagine a man with a gun comes to your house and forces you to give money to the waster regardless of what the waster decides to do with it. You may feel a bit miffed to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You don't have to be on welfare. Pretty much everyone has one of these cards

You don't even apply as they post it to you when you are a teenager

Edit: the new cards are photo ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Seen the ad on Hope your OK facebook page.

Apparently she's heading off there from Finglas

"ah brillyunt. welfare wednesdays! dey shud call it mickey money wednesdays ha ha. i no were im goin on dis week 4 a phew drinks. i need 2 go der wit tiffo an whitto 4 a girlo nite out. its only up de road we can get a taxi from de village! "

https://www.facebook.com/hopeurokhun

High class bird girl that!

Not safe for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Murt10 wrote: »
    Seen the ad on Hope your OK facebook page.

Apparently she's heading off there from Finglas

"ah brillyunt. welfare wednesdays! dey shud call it mickey money wednesdays ha ha. i no were im goin on dis week 4 a phew drinks. i need 2 go der wit tiffo an whitto 4 a girlo nite out. its only up de road we can get a taxi from de village! "

High class bird girl that!

Not safe for work

Does she speak any english at all?

Dem foreigners, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

nc19 wrote: »
    North side

'Nuff said

Finches in clondalkin and the old scholars off clanbrassil street (both southside) have ran similar promotions

When a person is living off the money of others the shouldn't be pissing any amount of it away. That should be common sense.
    Living off the money of others. What about those looking for work and still living off their stamps, which they paid into themselves? Having a few jars is hardly 'pissing it away'.
    Added to the fact these wasters are supposed to be available for work but if they're drinking on wednesday night they're hardly available for work thursday morning are they?

Come off it. Why do you suggest everyone on welfare is automatically a waster? Off course its possible to be available for work the following day. Thousands of working people go out on weeknights and don't have a problem going to work next day. Like I said, there's a difference between a few sociable drinks and going on a full blown session.
    What is it with us Irish that we seem to think alcohol = social life?
    Hardly unique to 'us Irish'. Alcohol plays a central part to the social life in many countries. Furthermore, I never suggested that going to the pub should be the sole social outlet for anyone.

As long as they've earned the money themselves no problem at all.

Would you object as much if they spent an evening drinking soft drinks?
    If one of my family members was pissing 8% of their income down the toilet one night a week I'd step in, but these people think it's normal.

Who are you to 'step in' and tell anyone of legal drinking age how to spend their money? Regardless of who they are.
    Imagine if everyone on the lve register had this sort of view. 370,000 people on the live register, at 15 euro each that's 5,550,000 a week, over one year that's 288,600,000 injected into the publican industry care of the Irish taxpayer.

You're quite the economist.

Imagine every week you give money a waster to buy a hot dinner, you think you're doing good but you later find out that waster is spending your money not on a hot dinner but buying drink in the local.

You do what any normal person would do and cut the waster off but now imagine a man with a gun comes to your house and forces you to give money to the waster regardless of what the waster decides to do with it. You may feel a bit miffed to say the least.

Not all people on dole are wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

A dole bashing thread on boards? Well I never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

A dole bashing thread on boards? Well I never

There's always a first

• Advertisement

Living off the money of others. What about those looking for work and still living off their stamps, which they paid into themselves? Having a few jars is hardly 'pissing it away'.
    That money was spent by government on various other expenses, only a small portion actually went towards social welfare.
    Come off it. Why do you suggest everyone on welfare is automatically a waster? Off course its possible to be available for work the following day. Thousands of working people go out on weeknights and don't have a problem going to work next day. Like I said, there's a difference between a few sociable drinks and going on a full blown session.
    Not everyone on the dole is a waster but people who spend their dole money in the pub on a wednesday night are wasters. As to the rest of your paragraph I'm glad I'm not your boss because you don't have a very professional attitude if you think going out for a "few jars" on a weeknight is acceptable.
    Hardly unique to 'us Irish'. Alcohol plays a central part to the social life in many countries. Furthermore, I never suggested that going to the pub should be the sole social outlet for anyone.
    Irish are worse than most and you certainly did when you said "Just because someone is on the dole doesn't mean they can't have some kind of social life" implying drink = social life.
    Would you object as much if they spent an evening drinking soft drinks?
    It wouldn't be as bad but I still wouldn't approve.
    Who are you to 'step in' and tell anyone of legal drinking age how to spend their money? Regardless of who they are.
    I'd step in to help any family or friend who's in trouble.
    You're quite the economist.
    Thank you.

Advertisement