Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare Wednesday

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Well tonight is the big night. I wonder will the pub be packed out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Jumboman wrote: »

It will.

Be packed with journalists and bloggers waiting to see if it's packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jumboman wrote: »

Please let Niamh Horan and Alison O'Connor show up to do one of their Lois Lane Intrepid Reporter articles!! Maybe Barry Egan could do a bit of it on his society pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I just got paid off my errr, job. I'd love to use my money to go down here tonight to protest, does anyone have the address? To go down and protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm not on the dole (student but still unemployed) but I have my welfare card from before. Bonus!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do those in receipt of welfare not deserve a day/night out?

I say this as someone who never received a cent from the state and never will

Won't take the pension when it comes?
    Folks never claimed child allowance?

I'm not on the dole (student but still unemployed) but I have my welfare card from before. Bonus!!:D

c u at 8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

They should have just called it something else.

Wacky Wednesdays or something; a name relating to social welfare payments is just idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should have just called it something else.

Wacky Wednesdays or something; a name relating to social welfare payments is just idiotic.

188 Club would have been fitting :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

To be honest, I don't understand this relationship people have with the dole. It's a service that is setup because, we, as a society, think it's good to have. Like, DublinBus. When you ride on DublinBus and even if you pay a fair, the amount you are paying is subsidized by the government.

But it's a service and there isn't any reason NOT to avail of it.

We have requirements for collecting social welfare benefits. If you qualify, and what to, you should collect. There isn't any moral or ethical question here. Smart, rich, politicians set up the rules. If you quality, according to the rules, congratulations, you are ENTITLED to it.

After that, it is yours to do whatever you want it. If you want to spend it all on beer, that's your right.

I'm not on the dole. I don't qualify for it. If I could, of course I would. And I'd spend the money I received, on whatever I wanted. That's the whole point.

If we wanted a system that only gave out bread and water, we'd hand out bread and water.

Now, if you disagree with how the dole works - fair play. Work to change it. But, it's silly to get upset at a business for targeting customers with discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nobody here disagrees with a welfare system. I have an issue with the rates and abuse of it... It could be at the rates it is, because that is what is deemed a reasonable amount OR, OR Bertie Ahern simply racked it up at double digit rates for years during a time of full employment to buy votes, take your pick folks...

Also could someone please post me a link to figures indicating the starvation related deaths that were occurring before said massive increases took place?

buzzing here still
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    nobody here disagrees with a welfare system. I have an issue with the rates and abuse of it... It could be at the rates it is, because that is what is deemed a reasonable amount OR, OR Bertie Ahern simply racked it up at double digit rates for years during a time of full employment to buy votes, take your pick folks...

Also could someone please post me a link to figures indicating the starvation related deaths that were occurring before said massive increases took place?

yea that makes sense m8 <3

Advertisement