Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

like persona i knew of atelier for years but need that push to buy them

They actually play very like Persona with all the time management you have to do except instead of making time for social links you're making time for item gathering and alchemy.
    Eternal Punishment isn't available on the Irish psn store, only the US and the PS1 version has an Americanised script which is a little jarring if continuing on from Innocent Sin. Pity Atlus didn't release the PSP version of Eternal Punishment.

You should only be buying PS1 games from the US store though. The games are much better than the awful PAL versions.

I think the only big jarring isue with the EP translation is the name changes. There is a difference in tone though.

Atlus did try very hard to bring out EP to the West on PSP but apparently the code was such a mess for the japanese release that it was imposible to do within the budget and time frame. Pity but at least there is still a way to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember playing the first atelier on the ps2 and getting stuck on a boss that was like a glass unicorn/horse and took me ages to kill the fecker :mad:

The series has changed a lot since then and is far better. The 'plus' versions on Vita are even better again than their PS3 counterparts. Atelier Annie was the first game when they really got it right which carried over to Rorona and then that has been refined further as the series continued and with the 'plus' games.

I really like the storytelling in the Atelier games. There's no world saving nonsense but more down to earth crises, like trying to save a shop from going out of busines, searching for what happened to your missing sister who is presumed dead or preparing for the monarchy to dissolve. The characters start as teenagers and over the course of a few years in the game develop into independent and strong women.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They actually play very like Persona with all the time management you have to do except instead of making time for social links you're making time for item gathering and alchemy.

You should only be buying PS1 games from the US store though. The games are much better than the awful PAL versions.

I think the only big jarring isue with the EP translation is the name changes. There is a difference in tone though.

Atlus did try very hard to bring out EP to the West on PSP but apparently the code was such a mess for the japanese release that it was imposible to do within the budget and time frame. Pity but at least there is still a way to play it.

True, just didn't mention that as it is now against the rules to discuss purchasing games not available on the Irish storefront as per the update to the charter last week. Not worth fetting a warning over it.

Really enjoying Persona Q which finally arrived last week with the second half of the tarot cards. Might have to track down some Etrian Odyssey games as the only game I've played that is similar is Shining the Holy Ark.

True, just didn't mention that as it is now against the rules to discuss purchasing games not available on the Irish storefront as per the update to the charter last week. Not worth fetting a warning over it.

Really enjoying Persona Q which finally arrived last week with the second half of the tarot cards. Might have to track down some Etrian Odyssey games as the only game I've played that is similar is Shining the Holy Ark.

My understanding from discussing it is that the only thing that will get you in trouble is discussing methods on how to get content from different regions.

You'll like Etrian Odyssey if you like Persona Q.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm hoping to pick up a 3ds in the sales and finally play Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Square's output has been consistently been excellent since final fantasy X with only 13 being a misstep and even that wasn't as bad as most people think. The new director in charge of FF15 has also more than proven himself at being able to deliver an excellent real time battle system with his previous games, he seems to be a major up and coming talent. He also managed to make a good Kingdom Hearts with Birth by Sleep, something long thought impossible for that cesspit of a series :)

I also don't get people wanting Final fantasy to go back to its roots so to speak and go back to being turn based. Final Fantasy is a series defined by how it reinvents itself with every iteration and doesn't rest on its laurels. It's a richer game series for it and it's good to see something so inventive in this age of safe sequels. Final Fantasy 13 was a product of Square trying to go back to that FFX formula and well other than the battle system that game didn't turn out that great.

I'm not a fan of real time/action jrpgs, that's a personal preference. I don't know if 13 was square trying to go back to its roots, it certainly felt NOTHING like that to me. The only thing about it that was similar to what has been the FF experience for me was the battle system. And that was frankly the only thing I enjoyed about the game.

So yeah, if 15 is an action RPG I'll most likely be giving it a miss. X was the last square enix game I really enjoyed. I'm tempted to pick up a DS though and play Bravely Default.

I'm hoping to pick up a 3ds in the sales and finally play Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening

It's on sale for 100 Pounds on Amazon.co.uk right now. I'm really tempted to be honest.

By the way, still looking for clarification on Rorona if anyone has played it?

Front Desk quests from Esty. Says reward for turning in three of whatever is 53 cash. I turn in the quest and only get like 5 cash. Is this deliberate, linked to reputation or quality of the item? Or is it a bug?

(Not talking about the STAMP or the VOUCHER stuff from Sterk. That's different.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thoroughly enjoyed the 30 hours or more of Bravely Default I played. It really captured that feel of SNES era RPGs while adding some very welcome modern twists.

But I gave up at the (I assume) half-way point
    when it asked me to repeat every boss fight in the game up until that point. A lazy decision IMO, even if the fights were obviously harder second time around.
    I would have preferred the game to have definitively ended, and then have all the extra stuff as optional post-game content.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Memnoch wrote: »
    It's on sale for 100 Pounds on Amazon.co.uk right now. I'm really tempted to be honest.

By the way, still looking for clarification on Rorona if anyone has played it?

Front Desk quests from Esty. Says reward for turning in three of whatever is 53 cash. I turn in the quest and only get like 5 cash. Is this deliberate, linked to reputation or quality of the item? Or is it a bug?

(Not talking about the STAMP or the VOUCHER stuff from Sterk. That's different.)

Damn.... its the xl that I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you are looking to buy a 3DS or XL, wait for the new model unless you're looking for one on the cheap. Really does seem like a proper improvement, and it would be crazy to buy a standard model now unless you're on a very tight budget.

• Advertisement

If you are looking to buy a 3DS or XL, wait for the new model unless you're looking for one on the cheap. Really does seem like a proper improvement, and it would be crazy to buy a standard model now unless you're on a very tight budget.

Having read the reviews, I'm not sure I need the newer version. Especially as it will probably be north of 200 pounds. Argos and gamestop here are selling these for 200 euro plus (current 3ds). So it feels like a good bargain to me, unless people feel there will be a further price drop once the new one is out?

Actually forgot they were bringing out a new, I'll definitely wait so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Actually forgot they were bringing out a new, I'll definitely wait so.

365games in the UK are already selling the AUS model of the New 3DS XL for ~€220. No drawbacks with it either as it is compatible with EU carts and eShop. Might be worth looking into as it could be March/April again its out here.
    http://www.365games.co.uk/search/new+3ds/sort-relevance

Cheers for that sniper

I got natural doctrine of the psn store for 18, some great Xmas deals to be had, I already have most of them though :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bought SMT4 for 20euro on eshop. Don't know if that was sale or not but I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bought SMT4 for 20euro on eshop. Don't know if that was sale or not but I'm happy.

That's the normal price for it, great game.

http://xenobladex.jp/media/xeno_sound2.mp3

Download a song from the new xenoblade game here

New Tales Of Zestiria trailer.

Still no release date for it.

Still no release date for it.

Yeah still a Q2 placeholder, but at least we know they are localizing it.

• Advertisement

Indeed, I have it pre ordered on amazon and all.

Put in an order for Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk, Criminal Girls: Invite Only, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, gonna be a good first 3 months again for the Vita. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea and The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum coming out on the PS3 in March, although The Awakened Fate is meant to be very mediocre.

Xenji wrote: »
    Put in an order for Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk, Criminal Girls: Invite Only, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, gonna be a good first 3 months again for the Vita. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea and The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum coming out on the PS3 in March, although The Awakened Fate is meant to be very mediocre.

order them from vgp?

order them from vgp?

All except for The Alchemist of Dusk, not in a rush to get them except for Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters which I have heard mostly great things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Just recently finished FF type 0. Have to say, it was a bloody chore. Really irked me at times.

I don't like games where you *can't* do everything in your first run. Especially with an RPG that you've put 60 hours into. There literally are things in the game that you're supposed to experience on a fourth play-through!

They'll surely tweak a few things for the HD re-release.

I'm halfway through Vagrant Story now and enjoying it a lot more (a game that I played years ago but gave up at the infamous snowfly forest).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

animaX wrote: »

I'm halfway through Vagrant Story now and enjoying it a lot more (a game that I played years ago but gave up at the infamous snowfly forest).
    I did the same! Have it on the Vita now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

penev10 wrote: »
    I did the same! Have it on the Vita now.

Ha, I wasn't the only one!

This post is what made me try again
    http://chode.org/misc/vs/

Didn't find the forest that tough, there was some logic to it. No understanding the battle system, now I had absolutely no clue about that!

Anyone played Class of Heroes 2G before?

• Advertisement

Anyone played Class of Heroes 2G before?

Protip: Play Etrian Odyssey instead.

It's a decent dungeon crawler but it's so old fashioned compared to Etrian Odyssey. Etrian Odyssey just completely reinvents that genre while keeping it authentic.

Advertisement