Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    the big winner from the lexus was silvianico conti ha!

Nah, he'd no excuses last year and Nicholls is on record as saying he thinks he wants a flat track, soft ground and not Cheltenham. I'd be more than happy to dutch the two Wylie horses for the Gold Cup after today, both 20/1.

Silvinianco: Doubts re Cheltenham, 3/1 too short.

Road to Riches: Hugely exciting and has to be respected but has never ran at Cheltenham before and while he rallied well today, would still have worries about the extra distance and the hill, given current price.

Lord Windermere: Today was irrelevant to his GC chances as will undoubtedly improve for extra distance and better ground come March but still don't think he's classy enough to go back-to-back.

Holywell: I know Jonjo likes to hold them back but has done absolutely nothing this season to show he's a serious contender, or earn his current price.

Bobs Worth: I know he flopped fto last season too but looks gone at the game to me and set to join the rest of Henderson's patients in visiting the increasingly-busy horse shrink.

Boston Bob: He's as slow as Christmas but I honestly believe he travels (slightly) better on good ground. Better ground, trip and hill should see him outrun current odds come March.

Many Clouds: Sherwood says he will look after him for rest of season and think he wants proper soft ground.

On His Own: Like 2014 GC running, he raced very prominently today but again stayed on bravely after the last. His price is big given he's sure to turn up, fitness allowing, and seems just as good as last season for a race which may be just as weak.

Carlingford Lough: Highly encouraging first run back and there's definitely worse antepost bets at 33/1. Having backed him for the RSA last season though, I think he may be a horse that always shows his best in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Silviniaco conti will not win the gold cup,why.I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 arsenalfh

What about Champagne Fever? Loves it at Cheltenham, bred to get 3m+ and I actually thought he ran a great race for a first try over 3m in the King George. He's definitely got more improvement in him at this trip as they're trying to change his running style as well. We all know Ricci wants a GC horse and Champagne Fever is all he got.

arsenalfh wrote: »
    What about Champagne Fever? Loves it at Cheltenham, bred to get 3m+ and I actually thought he ran a great race for a first try over 3m in the King George. He's definitely got more improvement in him at this trip as they're trying to change his running style as well. We all know Ricci wants a GC horse and Champagne Fever is all he got.

I'm sure you know now that he will not stay 3 miles.kempton is soft .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Strange what happened to Bobs Worth. It seemed to me Geraghty was very content to allow him to lose lengths in the back straight. Obviously the usual squeezing him to get interested wasn't on the cards today.

Whether or not he wins the GC is another question but that today was little more than a race course gallop. I wouldn't write him off on the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

jimjamcos wrote:
    Carlingford Lough: Highly encouraging first run back and there's definitely worse antepost bets at 33/1. Having backed him for the RSA last season though, I think he may be a horse that always shows his best in Ireland.

excellent synopsis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sting60 wrote: »
    Silviniaco conti will not win the gold cup,why.I know.

3/1 for the gc is imo one of the worst value ante post prices of all time
    bob w no 20/1 shot if that run is ignored but my own gut is that he won't be back winning or getting close to a gc

on his own at 20s bout the best looking ew bet imo but will probably not
    go off much shorter anyway 16s Im guessing

corny wrote: »
    Strange what happened to Bobs Worth. It seemed to me Geraghty was very content to allow him to lose lengths in the back straight. Obviously the usual squeezing him to get interested wasn't on the cards today.

Whether or not he wins the GC is another question but that today was little more than a race course gallop. I wouldn't write him off on the back of it.

strange was all the feckin money for it and for it to run like that

Idiots utd,watch the best stayers on shocking ground .3 mile stayer big time
    .will win gold cup,you have to to stay.

the fly tomorrow lads?

might take the 4/5 available now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

mailburner wrote: »
    strange was all the feckin money for it and for it to run like that

Ran near enough the same race in the Betfair last year and was backed then too.

Henderson keeps saying March is the be all and end all. I was thinking he was talking through his arse but with this horse its probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

mailburner wrote: »
    the fly tomorrow lads?

might take the 4/5 available now

Backed him last time. Not so sure about tomorrow.

Then again I think we all know Jezki's main target isnt really tomorrow either....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

arsenalfh wrote: »

Ryanair or Champion Chase for him, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

My Selection tomorrow, 4 folds

LADY BUTTON
    MICK JAZZ
    PARLOUR GAMES
    THE FLY
    SHANAHANS TURN / THE TULLOW TANK

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Ryanair or Champion Chase for him, I reckon.

+1. Ran well in the King George but is just not near as effective over that kind of trip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Dr. Bre wrote: »

They'll be out with a thousand kettles before they call Leopardstown off!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Was rammed today! It will be on tomorrow

(i hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I love HF, always kept faith in him, but at the mooted prices today I don't think I can have a bet. Less than EVs is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

12.20 Leopardstown

Behemoth 14/1

Although the ground is a bit of concern, I'm keen on the chances of Paul Nolan's Behemoth who I think looks on a workable mark of 119 and unexposed over fences I'm hopeful he can land the tomorrow's opener at the final day of Leopardstown's Christmas meeting. Having won a P2P on debut, Behemoth having remained a Maiden in a Bumper and 7 hurdles outings under rules but he already seems a much better chaser and I think there is more to come from this 5 year old. Having ran a decent race when 3rd on his Chasing debut, he scored at the 2nd time of asking over the larger obstacles when making all to beat the decent enough Vexalco on decent ground at Tramore over 23f back in August and he ran an absolute belter just 8 days later pitched into a very hot Grade C handicap at Killarney when a very good 3rd. Off a mark of 120, Behemoth was largely prominent throughout the contest and he stuck on very well all the way to the line to finish an 8.5L beaten 3rd having been headed before 3 out. The form of that race looks very strong with the winner Pass The Hat being very narrowly beaten in the Kerry Grand National off 7lb higher mark on his next start whilst he was a fine 4th in big Ascot handicap off a 16lb higher mark on his next completed whilst the runner up Nearly Nama'd won on his next start to give the form a strong look. Behemoth fell early on on his next start in a handicap at the end of September before finishing picking up an injury on his last chase outing at the start of October (still a decent effort).

Since his last run over fences, Behemoth had a pipe opener about a month ago at Fairyhouse over hurdles when he was unusually held up but I'm hoping that run has put him spot on for this. Dropped 1lb to a mark of 119, Behemoth is now 1lb below the run of his terrific effort at Killarney which has his only completed handicap start thus far and I definitely think a reproduction of that effort can see him go very close. Additionally, given he is only a 5 year old who is unexposed over fences there could be a good bit more to come from him and I'm definitely hopeful of a big run tomorrow. Looking at the bare facts, Behemoth would definitely seem to favour decent ground but it should be noted that his runs in testing conditions were all over hurdles and his trainer feels he will handle testing ground better and better as he gains experience and strengthens up and, although it's definitely a concern, I'm hopeful he'll handle it. With this race over 2m5f, I definitely think its a positive that Behemoth has won over further as I'm sure it will become quite testing late on in this contest. Luke Dempsey takes a handy 4lb off in this contest and he's certainly a young jockey that I rate. Looking at the opposition, it seems very likely that Behemoth will be taken on for the lead by favourite On The Shannon which isn't necessarily ideal but Behmoth doesn't need an easy lead and I don't think it will ruin his chances. Trainer Paul Nolan registered his first win of Decemeber on Saturday (albeit with a 1/5 shot) which is a bit disconcerting but hopefully it's a sign that his horses are coming to form. Facing a much easier contest then he did at Killarney on his handicap debut, if putting in a similar effort to that then I'm confident Behemoth can go very close if handling the testing ground and hopefully he can land the opener in what looks a tricky enough contest.

2.00 Leopardstown

Like It A Lot 16/1

The other Paul Nolan horse on the card Like It A Lot also catches my eye on his handicap debut and off a mark of 114 I definitely think he's handicapped to win races. Having run a promising race when 3rd behind Black Hercules in a P2P, Like It A Lot ran a blinder on his rules debut in a decent Bumper at Galway when just failing to The Winkler by a nose. For one reason or another, this 5 year old blew out on his next two starts in Bumpers but he bounced right back to form with a blinding effort on his hurdling debut when he was probably unlucky not to win having made mess of the last over 2m at Cork back in March. The horse he failed to reel in by just a head that day Shamsikhan had already shown strong hurdles time prior to that having finished 2nd to smart winner Minella Foru and 4th behind 3 good horses in Is Love Alive, Emperor Of Exmoor and Thekingofconnemara and it was a terrific hurdling debut by Like It A Lot. Having run a bit disappointing upped to 22f on his next start in May (absent 5 months after), Like It A Lot bounced right back to form in first time cheekpieces when a never nearer 4L 4th behind the very promising Sheamus at Fairyhouse 2 months ago. That race looks very strong with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th all winning next time and it was a great effort by Like It A Lot. Oddly enough, Like It A Lot has ran twice in chases subsequently (fell at first once) but his well beaten 5th behind Don Poli doesn't look bad given the 4 horses in front of him are decent animals. Reverting back to hurdles today, I'm convinced this 5 year old is well handicapped off an opening mark of 114 and given he's owned by Barry Connell you'll be sure he's been primed for this. Having run well in testing conditions before, the ground holds no fear for Like It A Lot although, as before, Paul Nolan's form is a little worrying. The cheekpieces worn on his last run over hurdles, which were absent for both runs over fences, are reapplied today and I'm confident of a big run by Like It A Lot and hopefully he can land this decent pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You know things must be bad in England when Southwell is called off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

After the Missie ella let down the other day I'm hoping the dennis hogan affair can begin today at Limerick. And money would make you believe that it will.
    Zekyra was about to easily win the same race he runs in today off a lb higher and thepartysover is running below his las winning mark. Throw in highland lodge in newbury with his drop in class and 10pb claimer on board and you have the recipe for a 3000-1 treble :-)
    Wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

First race at Leop is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

First race at Leop is off.

I wonder is the Topaz Novice Chase in danger too, or are they hoping the sun will improve things before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

ste2010 wrote: »
    After the Missie ella let down the other day I'm hoping the dennis hogan affair can begin today at Limerick. And money would make you believe that it will.
    Zekyra was about to easily win the same race he runs in today off a lb higher and thepartysover is running below his las winning mark. Throw in highland lodge in newbury with his drop in class and 10pb claimer on board and you have the recipe for a 1490-1 treble :-)
    Wishful thinking

Funny, the three horses I looked at for today. Highland Lodge was the one I was really considering but I'd want a bigger price. Him and Our Father are probably the two most costly geldings to follow over fences at the minute. Though I do think Our Father would have won the race he was entered in at Donny today. For mental health reasons I'd be inclined to leave Highland Lodge. He is a horse that will tip you over a cliff

Edit: I thought Highland was 7/2. 2/1 in places this is a woeful price even if he wins by a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Funny, the three horses I looked at for today. Highland Lodge was the one I was really considering but I'd want a bigger price. Him and Our Father are probably the two most costly geldings to follow over fences at the minute. Though I do think Our Father would have won the race he was entered in at Donny today. For mental health reasons I'd be inclined to leave Highland Lodge. He is a horse that will tip you over a cliff

Edit: I thought Highland was 7/2. 2/1 in places this is a woeful price even if he wins by a distance

Yeh he was 7/2. I'd share the same feelings as you but the 10lb claim sealed the deal. The drop in class, ratings and claimer you'd think if he didn't win today he will be going to another trainer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

ste2010 wrote: »
    Yeh he was 7/2. I'd share the same feelings as you but the 10lb claim sealed the deal. The drop in class, ratings and claimer you'd think if he didn't win today he will be going to another trainer..

He was 5/1 opening price last night. At that price I'd rather be a place layer than a win backer though if he doesn't win today I'd be inclined to think he may never. He has turned into a pure hound and they always back him off the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Apache Stronghold to come on bundles for the return to a left handed track and the step up to 3... ground an obvious concern but 8/1 is generous for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

rossom wrote: »
    12.20 Leopardstown

Behemoth 14/1

Although the ground is a bit of concern, I'm keen on the chances of Paul Nolan's Behemoth who I think looks on a workable mark of 119 and unexposed over fences I'm hopeful he can land the tomorrow's opener at the final day of Leopardstown's Christmas meeting. Having won a P2P on debut, Behemoth having remained a Maiden in a Bumper and 7 hurdles outings under rules but he already seems a much better chaser and I think there is more to come from this 5 year old. Having ran a decent race when 3rd on his Chasing debut, he scored at the 2nd time of asking over the larger obstacles when making all to beat the decent enough Vexalco on decent ground at Tramore over 23f back in August and he ran an absolute belter just 8 days later pitched into a very hot Grade C handicap at Killarney when a very good 3rd. Off a mark of 120, Behemoth was largely prominent throughout the contest and he stuck on very well all the way to the line to finish an 8.5L beaten 3rd having been headed before 3 out. The form of that race looks very strong with the winner Pass The Hat being very narrowly beaten in the Kerry Grand National off 7lb higher mark on his next start whilst he was a fine 4th in big Ascot handicap off a 16lb higher mark on his next completed whilst the runner up Nearly Nama'd won on his next start to give the form a strong look. Behemoth fell early on on his next start in a handicap at the end of September before finishing picking up an injury on his last chase outing at the start of October (still a decent effort).

Since his last run over fences, Behemoth had a pipe opener about a month ago at Fairyhouse over hurdles when he was unusually held up but I'm hoping that run has put him spot on for this. Dropped 1lb to a mark of 119, Behemoth is now 1lb below the run of his terrific effort at Killarney which has his only completed handicap start thus far and I definitely think a reproduction of that effort can see him go very close. Additionally, given he is only a 5 year old who is unexposed over fences there could be a good bit more to come from him and I'm definitely hopeful of a big run tomorrow. Looking at the bare facts, Behemoth would definitely seem to favour decent ground but it should be noted that his runs in testing conditions were all over hurdles and his trainer feels he will handle testing ground better and better as he gains experience and strengthens up and, although it's definitely a concern, I'm hopeful he'll handle it. With this race over 2m5f, I definitely think its a positive that Behemoth has won over further as I'm sure it will become quite testing late on in this contest. Luke Dempsey takes a handy 4lb off in this contest and he's certainly a young jockey that I rate. Looking at the opposition, it seems very likely that Behemoth will be taken on for the lead by favourite On The Shannon which isn't necessarily ideal but Behmoth doesn't need an easy lead and I don't think it will ruin his chances. Trainer Paul Nolan registered his first win of Decemeber on Saturday (albeit with a 1/5 shot) which is a bit disconcerting but hopefully it's a sign that his horses are coming to form. Facing a much easier contest then he did at Killarney on his handicap debut, if putting in a similar effort to that then I'm confident Behemoth can go very close if handling the testing ground and hopefully he can land the opener in what looks a tricky enough contest.

2.00 Leopardstown

Like It A Lot 16/1

The other Paul Nolan horse on the card Like It A Lot also catches my eye on his handicap debut and off a mark of 114 I definitely think he's handicapped to win races. Having run a promising race when 3rd behind Black Hercules in a P2P, Like It A Lot ran a blinder on his rules debut in a decent Bumper at Galway when just failing to The Winkler by a nose. For one reason or another, this 5 year old blew out on his next two starts in Bumpers but he bounced right back to form with a blinding effort on his hurdling debut when he was probably unlucky not to win having made mess of the last over 2m at Cork back in March. The horse he failed to reel in by just a head that day Shamsikhan had already shown strong hurdles time prior to that having finished 2nd to smart winner Minella Foru and 4th behind 3 good horses in Is Love Alive, Emperor Of Exmoor and Thekingofconnemara and it was a terrific hurdling debut by Like It A Lot. Having run a bit disappointing upped to 22f on his next start in May (absent 5 months after), Like It A Lot bounced right back to form in first time cheekpieces when a never nearer 4L 4th behind the very promising Sheamus at Fairyhouse 2 months ago. That race looks very strong with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th all winning next time and it was a great effort by Like It A Lot. Oddly enough, Like It A Lot has ran twice in chases subsequently (fell at first once) but his well beaten 5th behind Don Poli doesn't look bad given the 4 horses in front of him are decent animals. Reverting back to hurdles today, I'm convinced this 5 year old is well handicapped off an opening mark of 114 and given he's owned by Barry Connell you'll be sure he's been primed for this. Having run well in testing conditions before, the ground holds no fear for Like It A Lot although, as before, Paul Nolan's form is a little worrying. The cheekpieces worn on his last run over hurdles, which were absent for both runs over fences, are reapplied today and I'm confident of a big run by Like It A Lot and hopefully he can land this decent pot.

12:20 race not going ahead as part of the chase course still frosted over. Changes to race order later on may be on the cards as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

RP repoting that first race now to be run at 4.05.

Advertisement