Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Voting Yes, of course. Only imbeciles aren't voting, or voting no.

there is actually not a single valid reason for voting no on this issue, or not voting at all.

"It doesn't affect me" is not a valid reason.

have always voted and will be this time. Was on the fence with this one at the moment but this sort of attitude from one side of the debate really pi..e. me off and would help me make my mind up very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'll be voting 'Yes'.

However I feel the motion will be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Daith wrote: »
    Yes and people are allowed to have opinions about other peoples opinions. That's a free society.

But do you not see the irony of being for something, but having an attitude that actually works against what you want?
    By judging people you are more likely to be making them more likely to reject what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Links please.

I'll be voting no BTW. And no I'm not homophobic just because I have an opinion on the subject.

Unless you can provide valid reasons for voting no then yes you are homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

RobertKK wrote: »
    By judging people you are more likely to be making them more likely to reject what you want.

Yes you're right. The Catholic Church judges people all the time and that's why I reject them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Links please.

I'll be voting no BTW. And no I'm not homophobic just because I have an opinion on the subject.

Here's a link to a story about a gay bull

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/benjy-the-gay-bull-saved-by-simpsons-cocreator-sam-simon-has-found-love-in-his-new-home-9925659.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

1123heavy wrote: »
    I shall be voting NO. They can do whatever they like but 'marriage' itself was made to be a sign of a bonding between a man and a woman, not a man and a man or two women. I'm also not liking the bully boy tactics and people putting pressure on everyone else to vote their way by name calling. I have a right to vote whatever way I want and I should not and will not accept abuse from anybody for it.

Genuinely curious but where was the rule set down?

If two consenting adults have decided that they love each other and want to spent the rest of their lives together who are any of us to tell them they are wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Well I always feel i should be Ireland's dictator. Democracy just doesn't work. Ya just cannot trust the public to make the right choice. They kept puttin in Charlie and Bertie. They wouldn't abolish the Seanad. I want to be a Dictator for the dick takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes. I'd like to be an equal citizen

efb wrote: »
    Yes. I'd like to be an equal citizen

Quiet you. You live in a Republic. Equality is voted on.
    The Irish Republic is entitled to, and hereby claims, the allegiance of every Irishman and Irishwoman. The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and all of its parts, cherishing all of the children of the nation equally and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

are you voting no? Tell me why, and if there are actual reasons other than "Because God says so" and "it doesn't affect me" then I might change my mind, but as it is, the "no" side ARE imbeciles.

There is absolutely zero reason for anyone to note no on this issue, none.

Forget what the vote is about for a minute. One poster announced that anyone voting no would be an imbecile. That's the type of comment that gets people, myself included, sufficiently annoyed to consider voting the opposite way to what they originally intended. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and cast their vote accordingly.

To many, gay marriage would have an adverse effect on marriage. I, personally, will be voting yes and hope it gets passed

Yes you're right. The Catholic Church judges people all the time and that's why I reject them.

The church would argue that God judges, and the word of God in the bible on homosexuality is against same sex relationships, whether that is in Levicticus, Sodom and Gomorrah or in one of the letters of St Peter.

You have a right to accept or reject based on what you believe.

Forget what the vote is about for a minute. One poster announced that anyone voting no would be an imbecile. That's the type of comment that gets people, myself included, sufficiently annoyed to consider voting the opposite way to what they originally intended. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and cast their vote accordingly.

To many, gay marriage would have an adverse effect on marriage. I, personally, will be voting yes and hope it gets passed

How? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

What is all this 'I want to be an equal citizen' nonsense. We don't live in 1950's USA, EVERYONE here is equal. Equal in that everyone is currently afforded the same rights of only being able to formally marry a member of the opposite gender, it isn't a case of gay marriage only allowed for some for people to be crying inequality !?!?!

The church would argue that God judges, and the word of God in the bible on homosexuality is against same sex relationships, whether that is in Levicticus, Sodom and Gomorrah or in one of the letters of St Peter.

You have a right to accept or reject based on what you believe.

The bible also states that women who are not virgins should be stoned to death, The bible says a lot of stupid things.

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and cast their vote accordingly.

To be honest my main problem is that when people say no and "It's my vote I can do what I want" I understand that but a small part of me just wants to know why? I've never been in a situation where someone decides whether I should be equal to them.

You get upset because people called you an imbecile? I get upset when people decide I shouldn't be equal to them.

What is all this 'I want to be an equal citizen' nonsense. We don't live in 1950's USA, EVERYONE here is equal. Equal in that everyone is currently afforded the same rights of only being able to formally marry a member of the opposite gender, it isn't a case of gay marriage only allowed for some for people to be crying inequality !?!?!

No I'm not equal. I can't marry another person of the same sexuality as I am. Straight people can marry people of the same sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

How? :confused:

I said 'to many', not to me. Those who feel it will, have being posting their thoughts earlier in this thread

The bible also states that women who are not virgins should be stoned to death, The bible says a lot of stupid things.

Jesus said he without sin throw the first stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Haven't missed a vote since I turned 18, won't miss this one. I'll be voting yes.

Lots of people I know, including religious people, and even a few homophobic relatives, are voting yes, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I shall be voting NO. They can do whatever they like but 'marriage' itself was made to be a sign of a bonding between a man and a woman, not a man and a man or two women. I'm also not liking the bully boy tactics and people putting pressure on everyone else to vote their way by name calling. I have a right to vote whatever way I want and I should not and will not accept abuse from anybody for it.

You see I don't understand this argument. If you don't believe that that two people of the same sex should get married that is your right then don't marry someone of the same sex and leave it at that.

It's not going to effect "marriage" at all, if the referendum was to force the various churches to accept same sex marriages then I could see the point but I don't see how letting two people just get married in a civil ceremony makes your or my marriage any less real. Like, of course it doesn't.

same sex marriages are happening every day and none of us have burst into flames or my wife hasn't decided to leave me, if it's all just about protecting "marriage" surely the damage is done. Like there are people getting married over in Scotland right now so does it matter if they are getting married a few hundred miles closer to home ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Daith, not one person on this isle can marry someone of the same gender, we are therefore equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I will be voting in favour of SSM because its the right thing to do. I have some gay family members who are directly affected by the marriage ban but that's by the by. I would still vote Yes even if I didn't know anyone who could benefit. I have a little boy and I hope that when he gets older SSM is legal and normal and that we look back on all this debate and scaremongering and wonder what was we were ever afraid of. I want to be able to say to him that I was part of the generation that made it legal and set an example to the rest of the world that we are a country that respects all our people regardless of sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Grayson wrote: »

Yes, but not really an avid reader of the parochial newspapers. But from speaking to actual people who would be considered god botherers I genuinely don't know anyone who would be in the no camp (no pun intended). Similarly the CC is against sex before marriage, but don't know anyone who agrees with it. Are they hypocrites for not leaving the church? Possibly. But to each their own.

Marry the person they have formed a lifetime relationship with

Daith, not one person on this isle can marry someone of the same gender, we are therefore equal.

Only one group can marry someone of the same sexuality therefore we are not equal.

Marry their life partner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What's your reason so?

The cheek of you!
    No-one owes you any reason or answer for theirvoting decision.

Besides, how you can say you'll vote for something you haven't even read yet is somewhat worrisome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i will be voting. always do.
    one of my kids could be gay. one of my future grandchildren. i'm looking after their futures/their happiness.
    sometimes you need to think outside the box.

• Advertisement

Jesus said he without sin throw the first stone.

Love one another as I has I loved you.

Give unto Cesear what is Ceasears

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement