Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Daith wrote: »
    To be honest my main problem is that when people say no and "It's my vote I can do what I want" I understand that but a small part of me just wants to know why? I've never been in a situation where someone decides whether I should be equal to them.

You get upset because people called you an imbecile? I get upset when people decide I shouldn't be equal to them.

Every referendum is about the opportunity to change the way we currently enjoy life in Ireland. By far the vast majority of people who vote never express their reasons for voting the way they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The cheek of you!
    No-one owes you any reason or answer for theirvoting decision.

Besides, how you can say you'll vote for something you haven't even read yet is somewhat worrisome.

He never said anyone owes him a reason. He questioned someone. That's kinda what you do on a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

The cheek of you!
    No-one owes you any reason or answer for theirvoting decision.

The cheek of me asking why someone would vote no to mean being equal. Yeah the bloody cheek. I just asked why that's it. Didn't do anything more than that.
    Besides, how you can say you'll vote for something you haven't even read yet is somewhat worrisome.

That person said they'd vote no based on something they haven't read either.

Every referendum is about the opportunity to change the way we currently enjoy life in Ireland. By far the vast majority of people who vote never express their reasons for voting the way they do.

I never said they had to but just I'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jesus said he without sin throw the first stone.

So what parts of the bible should be believed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1123heavy wrote: »
    What is all this 'I want to be an equal citizen' nonsense. We don't live in 1950's USA, EVERYONE here is equal. Equal in that everyone is currently afforded the same rights of only being able to formally marry a member of the opposite gender, it isn't a case of gay marriage only allowed for some for people to be crying inequality !?!?!

That's semantics. It's not about marrying someone of the opposite gender, it's about being able to marry the person that you love, and for all relationships to be treated as equal in the eyes of the State. Not being able to marry the person you love simply because they're the same gender as you means your relationship is considered to be less worthy of legal and social recognition, and that is not equality.

A woman and a man fall in love, they can get married.
    A woman and another woman fall in love, they can't get married.

Isn't that a right being denied due to gender & sexuality? How is that equal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anyone able to tell me any statistics of the success rates of long term marriage In gay men? Does it not double the chance of tomcating?

i will be voting. always do.
    one of my kids could be gay. one of my future grandchildren. i'm looking after their futures/their happiness.
    sometimes you need to think outside the box.

Exactly. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

Penn wrote: »
    Exactly. A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

I'm going to borrow that line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

That's a lovely phrase :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Gotta laugh at the 'I was on the fence but the 'vote yes' side has made up my mind' and 'attitude of the 'yes' side is its own worst enemy' argument.

Who are you kidding with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'll vote if Wood Quay process my form to change my constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm looking forward to voting yes.

If the no vote wins, it will be seriously embarrassing for the country.

Daith wrote: »
    I'm going to borrow that line!
    That's a lovely phrase :)

Would love to take credit but old Greek proverb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What is all this 'I want to be an equal citizen' nonsense. We don't live in 1950's USA, EVERYONE here is equal. Equal in that everyone is currently afforded the same rights of only being able to formally marry a member of the opposite gender, it isn't a case of gay marriage only allowed for some for people to be crying inequality !?!?!

That was clever. Almost looked like a valid point! Well played, sir. Well played indeed!

Would love to take credit but old Greek proverb :)

They invented gayness!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

If Jesus were alive today he would definitely be voting yes.
    Look at the facts of a 33 year old man in the middle east at that time with no wife, family or children.
    Not only would he be voting yes he'd be doing it wearing flashing neon pom poms.

If it's alright for Jesus then it's alright for me.
    Everybody dance now.

If Jesus were alive today he would definitely be voting yes.
    Look at the facts of a 33 year old man in the middle east at that time with no wife, family or children.
    Not only would he be voting yes he'd be doing it wearing flashing neon pom poms.

If it's alright for Jesus then it's alright for me.
    Everybody dance now.

Jesus had two Dads too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'll be voting yes. Pretty disgraceful it's taken this long though (20+ years).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

I will be voting and I will be voting yes. Doesn't affect me directly right now but that doesn't matter.

I want to live in a country that treats people fairly and equally, it's not often you get a chance to have your say and I would urge everyone, no matter how you feel about the subject, to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I wish I could vote in this - I would certainly vote in favour of same sex marriage equality.
    I'm an Irish resident but not an Irish citizen so I cannot vote in a referendum.

Even though I am straight and the outcome of the referendum would not have a direct impact on my life right now it would impact people I care about and could impact my future children. I wish I could vote in this and it saddens me that some people who may in fact support it would not vote out of apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Simply put - this is about re-defining marriage in Ireland.

I'm not in favour of that - I'll be voting no

However I'm not against changing my mind (i'm not gung -ho on the NO side ) so i come here to hear other opinions and find out that I'm now an imbecile.

Nice one - that'll learn me.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What is all this 'I want to be an equal citizen' nonsense. We don't live in 1950's USA, EVERYONE here is equal.!

That's not true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

However I'm not against changing my mind (i'm not gung -ho on the NO said) so i come here to hear other opinions and find out that I'm now an imbecile.

I don't get the whole "redefining marriage" argument and I say that as someone married. What will a YES vote mean for my marriage? Nothing so where is the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Add a poll perhaps???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think it is in May.

I won't because it does not affect me. If they get it passed fair play but I doubt i'm in a minority when I say I have little interest in it.

Do you not have gay friends or family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Willfarman wrote: »
    Normal is just a setting on the dishwasher lad! But now animals falling in love? Holy jasus you were going well...

I was talking about sexual preference in animals, not 'love'. But considering that love is as much a biological process as a romantic one, you'd find it very hard to argue that there is no equivilent of love in any non human animal

It's about defining who can marry in our constitution for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

However I'm not against changing my mind (i'm not gung -ho on the NO side ) so i come here to hear other opinions and find out that I'm now an imbecile.

The charge rape within marraige redefined marriage - are you against that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I'll be voting in favour of it, not because it has a huge impact on my life, but because quite simply its the right thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement