Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Can anyone on the No side advance an argument for voting No that doesn't involve either being told what to do by the Church/Bible, or isn't simply homophobia or fear of something different to their lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

floggg wrote: »
    Actually, originally it was a property transaction between a man and the father(s) of the one or more labourers/sex slaves purchased by the man.

Many many different definitions of marriage through the ages. List here. I wonder which one he's referring to?

Can anyone on the No side advance an argument for voting No that doesn't involve either being told what to do by the Church/Bible, or isn't simply homophobia or fear of something different to their lifestyle?

Divilment.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Does anyone actual have any peer reviewed and proper studies that SSCs are worse parents than hetro couples?

The main 'issue' some have over gay couples adopting or having kids is that they would be bullied because of it. Tbh kids get bullied for a lot less i.e weight, glasses, intelligence, etc and this is before you could include race, religion or ethnic status. I don't think anyone can give a proper reason as to why SSCs couples can't marry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

1123heavy wrote: »
    I despair to think of what'll be next, people wanting laws passed to marry sheep ? cars ? ... TV's ? I certainly wouldn't put it past you people.

Yeah, a bit like when they gave the vote to women. Within less than a year, two Ford Fiestas and a golden retriever turned up at a polling station, demanding the right to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

I personally don't believe the sexual act between SSC's is natural. Nothing to do with God. Man and woman were created so they could procreate by sharing themselves. Its at odds with nature for same sex couples to make love imo.

Call me what you want but thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

I shall be voting yes. I see the choice to get married to be between the two people involved and no one else.

Zemuppet wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can give a proper reason as to why SSCs couples can't marry.

1. Because it's icky.
    2. God says no.
    3. Unspecified reason, yet to be articulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

golfball37 wrote: »
    I personally don't believe the sexual act between SSC's is natural. Nothing to do with God. Man and woman were created so they could procreate by sharing themselves. Its at odds with nature for same sex couples to make love imo.

If man and woman were made to procreate, does that mean I'm an unnatural person because I, as a straight woman, am infertile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The main 'issue' some have over gay couples adopting or having kids is that they would be bullied because of it. Tbh kids get bullied for a lot less i.e weight, glasses, intelligence, etc and this is before you could include race, religion or ethnic status. I don't think anyone can give a proper reason as to why SSCs couples can't marry.

It's the main reason why I'm against ginger speccy couples getting married. Disregarding the no souls thing, the bullying and abuse the kids will receive is too terrible to contemplate. Sadly, my campaign to stop gingers marrying is falling on deaf ears. It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Ginge!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Endacl - if you think i'm talking **** then you go stand on O'connel street, set up a little table and talk to the public about it. You will soon find out you're talking absolute crap as you try justifying two mothers to a happy normal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Man and woman were "Created" but it's nothing to do with God? Who "created" them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So sex shouldn't be enjoyable?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I am still registered to vote in my old Dublin constituency - tempted to fly home to cast a YES vote :pac:

I'm getting married in late May to a wonderful man. I am a bi woman, it makes no sense to me that the presence or absence of twig and berries on my partner has such a drastic effect on how our relationship is recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why are there gay animals as well as humans?
    I think God could have done some better beta testing before he released us all into the wild.
    It's at odds with nature to post on the interwebz. Lo, here we all are the world hasn't stopped turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I despair to think of what'll be next, people wanting laws passed to marry sheep ? cars ? ... TV's ? I certainly wouldn't put it past you people.

And men will want to marry their brothers right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Endacl - if you think i'm talking **** then you go stand on O'connel street, set up a little table and talk to the public about it. You will soon find out you're talking absolute crap as you try justifying two mothers to a happy normal family.

I come from a happy, two parent household. All of my adult family members are voting yes. No justification needed. Common sense will win out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

I live abroad now and I would consider flying so that I could vote in favour of marriage equality.

Irish mammie are great. Imagine how amazing TWO Irish mammies would be. You'd have a non stop supply of flat seven up and toast when you're sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Not going to call you anything, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. When you say 'man and woman were created' do you mean you think they were created by God though?

If not and you mean we evolved to be like we are, why are some of us not straight?

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And men will want to marry their brothers right?

And cats will marry dogs. Where will it end?!

I don't normally vote! But I think for the lads I can make an exception!
    ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Who cares?

Are you that worried about 'natural'?

Have you ever used contraception? That's not natural.

Have you got an issue with contraception too?

Also - this vote has nothing to do with gay sex. Lads are going to continue to shag lads and girls are going to continue to shag girls no matter what the result of this vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Daith wrote: »
    I love the fact the Yes side have to be so careful with words because "I'm def going to vote no now" but throwing around words like child abuse is like yeah ok.

We get called bullies for calling out prejudice.

The no side spread lies, demean and insult us, and utterly disrespect out relationships and call for legal discrimination against us. And yet somehow they are apparently the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Daith

floggg wrote: »
    We get called bullies for calling out prejudice.

The no side spread lies, demean and insult us, and utterly disrespect out relationships and call for legal discrimination against us. And yet somehow they are apparently the victims.

Only homophobes can use the word homophobic
    Its at odds with nature for same sex couples to make love imo.

Yet gay people still exist. We aren't born in a lab. So nature must be allowing homosexuals to exist for how many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You can be uncomfortable with the idea of gay sex while at the same time being cognisant of their rights. There are lots of things I don't agree with but I wouldn't stop other people doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

kylith wrote: »
    Good Catholics may vote no, but good people will vote yes.

So if I vote no that would make me a bad person.......not a great fan of water charges so have the unreasonable label also.

I wonder how many negative labels I could accumulate by the end of December.

Re Yes or No.......it is an individual's choice and labelling one side or the other doesn't help matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

lazygal wrote: »
    Irish mammie are great. Imagine how amazing TWO Irish mammies would be. You'd have a non stop supply of flat seven up and toast when you're sick.

Society would fall apart as a generation becomes incapable of doing anything for themselves because of having double the Irish mammy effect forced on them by the gay agenda. 'Tis too horrible…

Annoy the public on O'Connell Street? Oh. You're one of those...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

So we have gotten to the stage at which people think it is perfectly normal and reasonable to have 2 mothers or 2 fathers !?!?!?!?!?!? I despair !

Due to a child's very nature, they need both a father AND a mother to carry out the upbringing, they each bring two different thigs to the child's development that no other combination of SSC could bring. I can go on all day about how the mother and father's roll differs and how they are both equally important. What you people who support all this carry on want is to change nature, well we are humans and our needs for a proper upbringing won't change whether you like it or not !

I have nothing personal against gay people, my manager at work is gay and i know of other gays in and around college. I do not support homosexuality, however I do put up with it for the sake of society.

You can have all the wonderful modern ideas in the world, but we are humans and need a mother and a father.

Anything which proves this apparent need?

And which contradicts the ever increasing body of research saying children raised by same sex parents do just as well as those raised by opposite sex parents.

There has been same sex adoption for years now in many jurisdictions. If it was proving harmful tobyhe child, we would have pretty firm evidence of that by now.

We don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement