Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'll be voting no. Way off the chart to be considered normal behaviour.

Explain please.

FWIW I think this will get a massive turnout and the results will be a resounding yes for gay marriage. I don't think there is a person in Ireland who does not know a gay friend or have a gay relative. To even consider for one second depriving them of happiness is imo despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The biggest threat to this referendum being passed comes from people on the yes side.
    You see it on this thread, name calling and those who see a yes vote as being an anti religion or anti Catholic church vote.

People can vote how they want, no one has been appointed to judge anyone who votes either yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anyone tell me if I can I vote on this from Aus?

And yes, if I can vote on this I will. Quite interested to see what the final count will be.
    No. You can't.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I think it is in May.

I won't because it does not affect me. If they get it passed fair play but I doubt i'm in a minority when I say I have little interest in it.

I think this apathy might be the biggest risk to the referendum and also the appeal of giving the government a harmless (in my view) kicking.

Anyone feel the same way about it? I just could not be bothered. I think it will be like the children's referendum. Very low turnout.

"This doesn't affect me so I won't bother voting."

Welcome to today's self centred modern culture people... I mean feck democracy, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭secman

I too was a dinosaur...... when my daughter came out.... well human nature in me won and i very quickly wised up and realised how backward and futile my feelings on the subject were. Live and let live.... have a beautiful happy grandson now..... pure tonic he is.. he deserves both mammies to have equal rights .
    If this leopard can change his spots believe me anyone can....... just saying......

Obviously voting YES

• Advertisement

Mod

This is an emotive topic, and these topics usually descend into a snipey bitchfest. Let's try to avoid that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please convey that opinion in a non aggressive manner. Please do not use inflammatory phrasing e.g. "anyone who votes yes/no/doesn't vote/ is xxxxx". It won't get us anywhere and will get users banned.

If you want to change someones opinion (on either side of the debate) then shouting at them or namecalling is not the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Damn straight I'll be casting my vote. It's embarrassing that such an inequality exists in what is supposed to be a modern society.

Also, the apathy is quite scary. A substantial portion Irish public who actually exercise their vote are elderly bible bashers. While younger people may think the question at hand is a no-brainer, I think there may be some surprise by how close this could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think it is in May.

I won't because it does not affect me. If they get it passed fair play but I doubt i'm in a minority when I say I have little interest in it.

I think this apathy might be the biggest risk to the referendum and also the appeal of giving the government a harmless (in my view) kicking.

Anyone feel the same way about it? I just could not be bothered. I think it will be like the children's referendum. Very low turnout.

If it was in the constitution that black people couldn't get married and there was a referendum to change that, would you still not vote 'because it doesn't affect you'?

(I'm only presuming that you're not black because you are a frog)

A society that allows discrimination reflects badly on all of us. Enlightened voters should vote for a society that protects the rights of minorities.

....aaaww

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Absolutely yes I'll vote, and vote yes. Two people loving each other and wanting to be happy together can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

RobertKK wrote: »
    People can vote how they want, no one has been appointed to judge anyone who votes either yes or no.

People can vote however they want and people can be judged on how they vote. Same as anything.
    You see it on this thread, name calling and those who see a yes vote as being an anti religion or anti Catholic church vote

The Catholic Church are campaigning for No. Voting for yes would be voting against the Catholic Church though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I will. It doesn't affect me either but it doesn't have to for me to understand why it's so vitally important to vote and vote yes.

There's no logical reason to vote no or to not vote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

frankeee wrote: »
    The referendum is in Ireland right? Not Alabama

You've been to ireland yeah?

http://www.kilkennyjournal.ie/index.php/news/item/1232-paedophiles-set-to-pose-as-gays-to-marry-and-adopt-kids

Daith wrote: »
    Voting for yes would be voting against the Catholic Church though.

Plenty of practicing catholics will be voting yes. We really shouldnt be stereotyping them and dismissing them.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I'll wait to see the wording of the referendum before I decide which way to vote

Plenty of practicing catholics will be voting yes. We really shouldnt be stereotyping them and dismissing them.

I'm not, however the Catholic Church as an organisation has made it's stance. It will have no problem saying "If you're a good Catholic vote no"

Grayson wrote: »

This is not the opinion of the vast majority of Irish people.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Il be voting and I will be voting No. I can't see why the gays should have the life orielly, they should be tied down like the rest of us. Or is it yes I have to vote to ensure that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Willfarman wrote: »
    Il be voting and I will be voting No. I can't see why the gays should have the life orielly, they should be tied down like the rest of us.

then you should be voting yes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'm not, however the Catholic Church as an organisation has made it's stance. It will have no problem saying "If you're a good Catholic vote no"

They'll do no end of damage to their organisation if they take that stance. People aren't as mindlessly devoted as they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Willfarman wrote: »
    Il be voting and I will be voting No. I can't see why the gays should have the life orielly, they should be tied down like the rest of us.

So you mean you will vote yes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All the polling in the last number of years have indicated majority support for giving equal rights to gay people. It's getting to the stage where holding homophobic views is such a minority position that it's no longer considered 'normal behaviour'

It used to be 'normal' that a father could 'marry off' his teenage daughters to increase his own power and influence and the daughters had little or no say in the matter. (it still is in some parts of the world)

Is it 'normal' for someone to strongly believe that women should not be allowed to vote? Or that schools should be allowed to beat children, or that a King is there by divine right...

There is absolutely nothing abnormal about two people of the same sex falling in love. It happens in many species of animal, it has happened in humans for as far back as we have reliable records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Normal is just a setting on the dishwasher lad! But now animals falling in love? Holy jasus you were going well...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People can vote however they want and people can be judged on how they vote. Same as anything.

The Catholic Church are campaigning for No. Voting for yes would be voting against the Catholic Church though.

In a civilised society, name calling is not a valid reason to vote yes or no. It just antagonises and make the person more set in their ways, that is why judging a person is not constructive. You are voting on an issue, not the voter.

The Catholic Church can campaign no if it wants, one is not voting on the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Luckily most Catholics nowadays are the mindless sheep people would like them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I shall be voting NO. They can do whatever they like but 'marriage' itself was made to be a sign of a bonding between a man and a woman, not a man and a man or two women. I'm also not liking the bully boy tactics and people putting pressure on everyone else to vote their way by name calling. I have a right to vote whatever way I want and I should not and will not accept abuse from anybody for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

bop1977 wrote: »
    I probably won't due to just not caring either way about the issue.
    Errrrrm...
    bop1977 wrote: »
    I don't think that a protest vote will apply as most people likely to vote will either, vote with their bigoted prehistoric views or vote with a bit of cop on and pass it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Akrasia wrote: »
    . It happens in many species of animal,

Links please.

I'll be voting no BTW. And no I'm not homophobic just because I have an opinion on the subject.

The Catholic Church cab campaign no if it wants, do we not live in a free society?

Yes and people are allowed to have opinions about other peoples opinions. That's a free society.

• Advertisement

I'll be voting no BTW. And no I'm not homophobic just because I have an opinion on the subject.

What's your reason so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement