Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭

I think it is in May.

I won't because it does not affect me. If they get it passed fair play but I doubt i'm in a minority when I say I have little interest in it.

I think this apathy might be the biggest risk to the referendum and also the appeal of giving the government a harmless (in my view) kicking.

Anyone feel the same way about it? I just could not be bothered. I think it will be like the children's referendum. Very low turnout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I will, doesn't affect me but that won't stop people feeling the need to prevent it so might as well counteract another person who it won't affect.

Will happen eventually, no point making the country look backward for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

depends if I'm near my polling station that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭bop1977

I probably won't due to just not caring either way about the issue.

I don't think that a protest vote will apply as most people likely to vote will either, vote with their bigoted prehistoric views or vote with a bit of cop on and pass it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Even if I didn't care one bit, if I didn't have a little boy who could be gay and one day want to get married, if I didn't know people who deserve a chance to do something that would make them so happy and all it would cost me is an half hour of my time to tick a box.

Even after all that I would still urge people to vote in favor of it simply to ensure those people for whatever bat**** crazy reason are against gay marriage don't get their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'll be voting for 2 reasons.
    1. I've voted every time I've had a chance since I turned 18.
    2. Anything to piss off the god botherer's.(I'll be voting to allow gay marriage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Of course it affects you. You live in a country where a substantial proportion of the population is denied the perfectly reasonable right to have their commitment to a partner recognised in law. This referendum could change that, and you would be living in a country that, in this regard at least, respected all of its citizens equally. That is important, and as an Irish adult with a vote, you have a duty to consider the question in a referendum of what sort of society you wish to live in.

In past times, a vote to extend suffrage to women would not have 'affected' me. But it would have affected many I care
    about, and the wider society we all live in.

Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Civil rights affect us all. I'll be voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also. That'd be 'marriage equality referendum', not 'gay marriage'.

It's about extending a right, not creating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it is in May.

I won't because it does not affect me. If they get it passed fair play but I doubt i'm in a minority when I say I have little interest in it.

I think this apathy might be the biggest risk to the referendum and also the appeal of giving the government a harmless (in my view) kicking.

Anyone feel the same way about it? I just could not be bothered. I think it will be like the children's referendum. Very low turnout.

Doesn;t stop a lot of people from voting against it, sadly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Apathy is the reason most of these civil rights things don't come to pass.
    The people who believe in, live and let live, are so easy going, that going out of their way to vote isn't for them.

You will find usually that its the hard, passionate people, one way or the other, that will make sure they vote.
    So, in this case, the extremely passionate for, will vote, and the extremely passionate against will vote. Whereas, the in between, who believe people should be married if they want, no matter what their sexuality, won't bother, because to them, its not important.

Basically, the people who think, yea, let them marry, no skin off my nose, won't really go out of their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Anyone tell me if I can I vote on this from Aus?

And yes, if I can vote on this I will. Quite interested to see what the final count will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Will vote yes.

Why should two people who love each other not marry?

How does it effect anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Voting yes.

People should have the same basic rights to marry regardless of sexual persuasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I'll vote yes.

<insert post about how tolerant I am>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

For anyone who says "it won't affect me" do you not know any gay people? Do you know that all your family are straight and any child your family has, your friends have, your neighbours have will be straight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I think it is in May.

What happens if you ever have children and one of them is gay, or one you your siblings children or someone you care about in the future, your apathy may lend a hand in denying these people the same rights as the rest of society

As another poster said, use your vote, if only to cancel out another vote that might stop this referendum from passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'll be voting yes.

In doing so I'll be trying to convince myself that I'm an all round good guy and not getting a huge pleasure from sticking it to the RCC.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

A couple of other referendums are being tacked on including one to allow 16 year olds vote but nothing dramatic enough to get people out.
    I think it will be defeated because the no lobby will be organised and are people who would vote as a matter of course.
    However if the gay lobby campaign on a positive platform rather than shouting "homophobe" every time someone disagrees then they might be successful.
    The actor who plays Mrs Browns neighbor was featured on Nationwide with her partner and for some reason they went down very well with some of the dinosaurs already mentioned in this thread. If I were in charge of the yes campaign I would engage them more and Pantybliss less. Just sayin.
    Voting yes myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I haven't missed a vote since I turned 18, and I'm not going to start now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'll vote yes, fortunately not to cool to vote on stuff like this like the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Voting Yes, of course. Only imbeciles aren't voting, or voting no.

there is actually not a single valid reason for voting no on this issue, or not voting at all.

"It doesn't affect me" is not a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I'll be voting no. Way off the chart to be considered normal behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sharing of tax credits for all!

Isn't that why couples get married? :p

I have some holidays planned for next year and have been hoping that the referendum isn't held during those holidays because I would be choosing to stay in Ireland to vote. Thankfully I seem to have avoided that.

I will be voting yes. It may not affect me directly now, but it may affect someone who I care about in the future and it certainly affects people that others care about right now.

I was asked by a ten year old yesterday when the date was announced "why do they have to have a vote for this, why can't it just be the way it is". I explained about our constitution and the requirement to vote to change it. Her response "yes, but why was it ever against the law, it doesn't make any sense"

We could learn a lot by listening to children's uncomplicated views a little more often.

Voting Yes, of course. Only imbeciles aren't voting, or voting no.

there is actually not a single valid reason for voting no on this issue, or not voting at all.

"It doesn't affect me" is not a valid reason.

So this is typical of the attitude and approach that will result in the referendum being defeated.
    If you disagree with me your an imbecile.
    Not good folks

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I will be voting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

ken wrote: »
    I'll be voting for 2 reasons.
    1. I've voted every time I've had a chance since I turned 18.
    2. Anything to piss off the god botherer's.(I'll be voting to allow gay marriage).

The referendum is in Ireland right? Not Alabama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    So this is typical of the attitude and approach that will result in the referendum being defeated.
    If you disagree with me your an imbecile.
    Not good folks

are you voting no? Tell me why, and if there are actual reasons other than "Because God says so" and "it doesn't affect me" then I might change my mind, but as it is, the "no" side ARE imbeciles.

There is absolutely zero reason for anyone to note no on this issue, none.

are you voting no? Tell me why, and if there are actual reasons other than "Because God says so" and "it doesn't affect me" then I might change my mind, but as it is, the "no" side ARE imbeciles.

There is absolutely zero reason for anyone to note no on this issue, none.

Read my original post. It's not a very long thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I think it is in May.

People didn't understand the people's referendum and nor can children vote.
    No matter how badly phrased it is the marriage equality referendum question should be clearcut enough
    How would voting or not voting in it give the government a kicking?

Those that it does affect will all vote in favour and I expect a reasonable number of supporters besides.
    Low turnout wouldn't mean it won't get passed
    It depends on whether those opposed to it are organised and willing to vote in numbers.
    It will be interesting to see whether there will be a letter from the bishops or influence from the church to their congregation
    I think even quite religious people might just abstain from voting and choose not to get involved but it there is an organised campaign maybe that would change

Has the specific date been set? Things like day of the week will have an influence - particularly for the student vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement