Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats smell do you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Was at a theatre tonight, there was an unbelievable bang of makeral and knob cheese from the lady beside me, fùcking pad wearer, Jesus sort it out!!

At the theatre , you say .
    A night of culture , no less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Chunners wrote: »
    copper money, I hate even touching the stuff because the smell it leaves on your hands is ****ing disgusting, if there was a vote to abolish all copper money I'd be at the start of the queue on polling day

I hate all change. Actually, to be honest I hate cash altogether. Touching notes and coins that could've been touched by thousands of people who never wash their hands, dropped on the floor etc. Paying by cards handier than carrying cash, saves room in peoples wallets and purses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Chemicals ?

As a result of evolution we can smell a lot of the biologically active ones. Cats can't taste sweetness but we can experience the fruity smell of esters. Alcohols and ketones are fine. An d a good organic chemist can tell a lot of functional groups by what's left of their sense of smell.

But there's other things out there.

Pyridine. It's smelly but that's not the issue what makes it really bad is that it causes male sterility.

I don't like things like butyric acid (silage) but amines are worse Putrescine does smell putrid and no prizes for guessing if Cadaverine smells nice or not. The sickly sweet smells are worse than the pungent acrid ones.

Hydrogen Sulphide is the smell of rotten eggs. It's more poisonous than cyanide but the sneaky thing about it is that at high concentrations it you don't smell it anymore.

Ethyl Mercaptan - I've not had the pleasure but have worked with some similar compounds which smelt so vile you hat to put the air tight container inside another air tight container and there's still a hint of gas leak.

On a more personal note I don't like pickled onions.

Used to work with Pyridine and Hydrogen Sulphide, hated the smell of both of them. And the fact both are highly flammable and fairly nasty.
    pyridine was the type of smell that stuck with you for the rest of the day too :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Urine
    Feces
    Rotten vag
    Armpits

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ectoplasm .... shudders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

people smelling heavily of garlic. uurrgh.

the smell that comes out of the SUBWAY sandwich stores. they smell all the same but the worst was in nyc, I went into a shop just to grab a coffee, the smell was so thick and heavy I could hardly breathe..had to turn around and leave instantly, otherwise I think I would have puked in the place...horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

the smell of fish on moores street on a warm day. jayus it would knock you for 6

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stevowhelo1

- Rotten Potatoes
    - The smell of arse when you're on a bus from someone who probably hasn't showered for weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

tara73 wrote: »
    people smelling heavily of garlic. uurrgh.

the smell that comes out of the SUBWAY sandwich stores. they smell all the same but the worst was in nyc, I went into a shop just to grab a coffee, the smell was so thick and heavy I could hardly breathe..had to turn around and leave instantly, otherwise I think I would have puked in the place...horrible experience.

I may as well have written this myself. I have to hold my breath passing subway shops and leave the room if the missus is cooking garlic bread or chicken kievs or the like!

Has to be the 2 worst food smells by a country mile!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Subway shops smell fcuking awful. What the hell is causing that rancid smell???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have no idea - but apparently that's their appeal - I just can't grasp it, it literally smells worse than shít!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have a somewhat unusual sense of smell insofar as, for historical reasons, I am completely immune to the smell of pig-excrement, and sometimes even find it quite pleasant, depending on the humour. However, I dislike the pervasive smell in pet-shops and veterinary surgeries a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Cucumbers,
    I can smell them Bast*rds a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Patchouli oil.

Burning hair.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Used to work with Pyridine and Hydrogen Sulphide, hated the smell of both of them. And the fact both are highly flammable and fairly nasty.
    pyridine was the type of smell that stuck with you for the rest of the day too :(

Many, many years ago I used a chemical called Pyrrolidine in college which has quite a specific smell.

"Pyrrolidine, is a colourless liquid that is miscible with water and most organic solvents with a characteristic semen-like odor."

It was very funny when using it to watch the reactions of any of the female students when they got a whiff of it. The more innocent girls didn't react at all whereas the more "knowing" girls would stop and look around or try and gauge what's going on. The lads in the class made a mental note of these girls.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

The worst thing I have ever smelt is a billy goat. Absolutely appalling, sickening stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

This is gonna be unpopular I think, but the smell of Marks and Spencer's makes me want to puke. Most people I know love it but it just smells like diabetes to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Mushy peas.

Boiled or scrambled eggs.

Coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

XsApollo wrote: »
    Cucumbers,
    I can smell them Bast*rds a mile off.

That would be the worst superpower ever.

What can you do?

Oh I can smell cucumbers from a mile away.

This is gonna be unpopular I think, but the smell of Marks and Spencer's makes me want to puke. Most people I know love it but it just smells like diabetes to me.

This reminds me of a girl I met a few months ago who was diabetic. She smelt horrible, a really sickly sweet stench.

Another foul smell is my sister's bed. It stinks horribly of all the farts and onion sweat trapped inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Catsh1t,nothin is worse than catsh1t especially if you step on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

People with fart breath. You know the ones, it's like they've been using dog shít for toothpaste.

hhaaaaahaa best one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Patchouli oil.

Burning hair.

:(

Was gonna say that. Awful awful smell !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

This reminds me of a girl I met a few months ago who was diabetic. She smelt horrible, a really sickly sweet stench.

Another foul smell is my sister's bed. It stinks horribly of all the farts and onion sweat trapped inside it.

Can I have her number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Has to be meat out of date ugh was working one day and someone left chicken fillets out of the cold dept i smelled it well it was stuck up my nose all day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When someone sprays air freshener in the toilet after they have intoxicated the place.

When I was at school, my science teacher had the most awful breath I've ever smelt. It was like something had died in there, her breath honestly smelt like a rotting corpse mixed with dog poo. She used to stand over the pupils during lessons, talking at each child individually over our shoulders, breathing in our faces. Eventually it became so unbearable that my best friend and decided to let her know her breath was bad, in case she hadn't realised. We got a travel-sized toothpaste and travel-sized mouthwash, wrapped them up, wrote the teacher's name on the package and left it in the lab for her. For the next few days her breath was slightly minty, but then she just went back to her bad ways again.

• Advertisement

Can I have her number?

which one?

Advertisement