Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats smell do you hate

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

sulphur thats been heated to the point where it becomes liquid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

sulphur thats been heated to the point where it becomes liquid

Oh of course, there had to be one who went scientific ! :P:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Spook80

Peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can't stand the smell of crusty protestalongs blocking main roads. They smell like lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A poo after a curry. Smells of curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fussyonion wrote: »
    A poo after a curry. Smells of curry.

Smells of curry, feels like fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

People who smell like they've been wearing the same pair of underwear for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'm sensitive to smells.

The smell of perfume, spray deodorants, air fresheners, cigarette smoke, alcohol, weird food like Chinese, Spanish, Asian, crisps, bleach, B.O., I'm sure there's more that I can't think of now, will give me a migraine, and have me vomiting in no time.

Buses can be a nightmare. You'll always find someone eating crisps. In fact, anywhere there's people, someone sat down beside me last week on a bench eating a spicy roll. I felt like getting sick.

I want a vogmask. They look cool.
    http://www.vogmask.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I'm sensitive to smells.

The smell of perfume, spray deodorants, air fresheners, cigarette smoke, alcohol, weird food like Chinese, Spanish, Asian, crisps, bleach, B.O., I'm sure there's more that I can't think of now, will give me a migraine, and have me vomiting in no time.

Buses can be a nightmare. You'll always find someone eating crisps. In fact, anywhere there's people, someone sat down beside me last week on a bench eating a spicy roll. I felt like getting sick.

Jees, you wouldn't want to be hanging around with me or our lot..:eek:
    I know this is AH but that's a rough allergy .. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chemicals ?

As a result of evolution we can smell a lot of the biologically active ones. Cats can't taste sweetness but we can experience the fruity smell of esters. Alcohols and ketones are fine. An d a good organic chemist can tell a lot of functional groups by what's left of their sense of smell.

But there's other things out there.

Pyridine. It's smelly but that's not the issue what makes it really bad is that it causes male sterility.

I don't like things like butyric acid (silage) but amines are worse Putrescine does smell putrid and no prizes for guessing if Cadaverine smells nice or not. The sickly sweet smells are worse than the pungent acrid ones.

Hydrogen Sulphide is the smell of rotten eggs. It's more poisonous than cyanide but the sneaky thing about it is that at high concentrations it you don't smell it anymore.

Ethyl Mercaptan - I've not had the pleasure but have worked with some similar compounds which smelt so vile you hat to put the air tight container inside another air tight container and there's still a hint of gas leak.

On a more personal note I don't like pickled onions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Oh of course, there had to be one who went scientific ! :P:D:D:D

I used to work with it in a steel workshop, attaching a type of brake disc to a hub for some large machinery, not very scientific really!!

was just told 'here you go, do this, and then do that with it when it's hot'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I once tried to clean something with ammonia, not realising the usual product was 10% or something like that and the one i had was pure. Opening the bottle was like being kicked in the face by a mule! Took a few minutes to get back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Beans !!
    Beans are the devil's work and smell like it. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

They would also come in handy if one wants to dress up as a Mortal Kombat character.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Parmesan cheese. Tastes lovely with pasta but on its own it smells like vomit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Waste gear oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

So my daughter thought it was a good Idea to warm up a Croissant in the Microwave this morning and walk away and leave it on full blast for a couple of minutes and burnt the be jaysys out of it - my god it stinks had the windows and door open all morning and candles lit and I can still smell it and its rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Oooh I would have to say the smell that I hate the most would have to beeeeee.

Fresh cat poo
    ****s nasty
    I don't like cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

If your not sure that sliced chicken in the fridge is still okay to eat, the only way to know is to smell it, a nostril full of rotting chicken is the worst for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 richardjack67

Cigarette smoke....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Farting Turkeys

Junkie sweat, they smell like burning tyres mixed with cheesy fish. Stand next to one in the luas and you'll know all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TGBlinds Awnings Shutters

for me its Farting Turkeys!

Sorry ..... I just couldn't resist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Girls in doggy style who don't wipe/clean their asses and vagina properly, this is more common than you'd imagine

Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Boiled egg white. Weird, I know.

Oh, but rotten egg really tops the lot. My last collie had a bad habit of stealing eggs out of the hen house and burying them. Dug one up one day and brought it in and as she placed it carefully at my feet, it broke (exploded) and she promptly puked over it and ran. That was fun to clean up :eek::eek: I was having to breathe through my mouth for hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I love the variety of smells that have been listed - everything from the relatively benign to the fairly extreme. I reckon that as western civilisation has evolved we are becoming less tolerant of everyday smells. Reading accounts of the Middle Ages gives some idea what life was like without deodorant, washing or basic hygiene. Churches had to use large amounts of incense just to mask the strench emanating from large crowds of unwashed and very smelly people. Similarly towns had open sewers and industries such as tanning and butchery whose effluent flowed freely in rivers and streams with the occasional bloated rotting carcass thrown in for good measure. Make bovril etc sound perfectly enticing ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The smell of stale drink when you pass a pub early in the morning, or worse the puke on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

The smell of burnt hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I used to work with it in a steel workshop, attaching a type of brake disc to a hub for some large machinery, not very scientific really!!

was just told 'here you go, do this, and then do that with it when it's hot'

Its called Hydrogen Sulfide and it does stink like rotten eggs :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Mostly the smell of bull$hit. :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

copper money, I hate even touching the stuff because the smell it leaves on your hands is ****ing disgusting, if there was a vote to abolish all copper money I'd be at the start of the queue on polling day

Advertisement