Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

A bit of a piss take. He makes some ok points but ruins them with idiotic comments

That's a ridiculous argument and why be so personal? His actual playing ability is irrelevant to the point he made and as for the comments on the wages they earn and the players resting on the field :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It seems to me he is looking down his nose and dismissing the preparation of the GAA players so thats why i take exception to his ridiculous comments. The intercounty players havent the same luxury to rest that Stephen Hunt does. They have to do their daytime job and then make a journey to training. The pitches they train on arent a fraction as good. Nowhere to hide on a hurling field

And some of the modern day soccer players dont exert themselves on the field. Look at Ozil or Balotelli for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Eamonn O Hara ‏@EamonnOHara8 2h2 hours ago
    Just read @stephenhunt1010 comments on #sindo, disappointed at ur portrayal of co players in general when ur issues seem to be with brolly!!
    0 replies 2 retweets 14 favorites
    Reply Retweet2 Favorite14
    More
    HoganStand GAA ‏@hoganstandgaa 2h2 hours ago
    Colm Boyle-ing over Hunt's put-down of GAA players: Mayo's Colm Boyle has reacted angrily to Stephen Hunt... http://bit.ly/1w7eWOZ #gaa
    0 replies 4 retweets 10 favorites
    Reply Retweet4 Favorite10
    More
    Related Searches: #itfc
    SportsJOE.ie ‏@SportsJOEdotie 2h2 hours ago
    Stephen Hunt might have accidentally pissed off every GAA player http://bit.ly/1z5d6Mg
    Embedded image permalink
    0 replies 3 retweets 5 favorites
    Reply Retweet3 Favorite5
    More
    Liam O h'Anfaidh ‏@Hinph6 3h3 hours ago
    Must be hard work just lying about doing f*ck all? Poorly constructed argument @stephenhunt1010. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=228375
    0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite
    Reply Retweet Favorite1
    More
    Colm Coughlan ‏@colmcoughlan 3h3 hours ago
    Advice for Stephen Hunt; Better to keep your mouth shut & let people think you're an idiot that to open it & remove all doubt!
    0 replies 1 retweet 3 favorites
    Reply Retweet1 Favorite3
    More
    Alan Nestor ‏@nesspuss 3h3 hours ago
    Stephen Hunt is some clown! Wonder if he'd know anything about commitment when he was working 9-5 or more & trying to fit in training! #ham
    0 replies 7 retweets 25 favorites
    Reply Retweet7 Favorite25
    More
    JOE.ie ‏@JOEdotie 3h3 hours ago
    Mayo's Colm Boyle has taken exception to Stephen Hunt's comments about GAA players http://bit.ly/1FIeqc7
    Embedded image permalink
    0 replies 12 retweets 18 favorites
    Reply Retweet12 Favorite18
    More
    Dick Clerkin ‏@dickclerkin8 3h3 hours ago
    Someone should remind Stephen Hunt in today's @TheSundayIndo that when he is so busy resting we are busy working!
    0 replies 54 retweets 114 favorites
    Reply Retweet54 Favorite114
    More
    Liam O h'Anfaidh ‏@Hinph6 4h4 hours ago
    Wouldn't mind trying out whatever Stephen Hunt is smoking. Seems like good gear.
    0 replies 2 retweets 3 favorites
    Reply Retweet2 Favorite3
    More
    Balls.ie ‏@ballsdotie 6h6 hours ago
    Stephen Hunt's Unpopular Opinion About GAA Players' Commitment http://blls.ie/1vCGGrY
    Embedded image permalink
    0 replies 4 retweets 6 favorites
    Reply Retweet4 Favorite6
    More
    Conor Sheridan ‏@ConorSheridan 6h6 hours ago
    Outrageous statements from Stephen Hunt. Would like to see him training 5 days a week as well as working full time. http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/stephen-hunt-might-have-accidentally-offended-every-gaa-player/4192
    Expand 0 replies 0 retweets 10 favorites
    Reply Retweet Favorite10
    More
    SportsJOE.ie ‏@SportsJOEdotie 6h6 hours ago
    Stephen Hunt might have accidentally offended every GAA player http://bit.ly/1z5d6Mg
    Embedded image permalink
    0 replies 3 retweets 4 favorites
    Reply Retweet3 Favorite4
    More
    Kevin Brennan ‏@kevinbrennan52 7h7 hours ago
    @nialloc90 @stephenhunt1010 Very harsh. Why didn't you say it to his face?
    Embedded image permalink
    0 replies 2 retweets 2 favorites
    Reply Retweet2 Favorite2
    More
    Colm Boyle ‏@colmboyle 7h7 hours ago
    So Stephen hunt reckons gaa players wouldn't have the mental strenght for soccer because its all about training and resting #whataclown
    0 replies 332 retweets 402 favorites
    Reply Retweet332 Favorite402
    More
    Cahir Healy ‏@CahirHealy 8h8 hours ago
    Stephen Hunt is right. Sure I barely have the mental strength to watch a full soccer match. Never mind do all the training
    0 replies 9 retweets 31 favorites
    Reply Retweet9 Favorite31
    More
    Kevin Brennan ‏@kevinbrennan52 8h8 hours ago
    @stephenhunt1010 It's hard for GAA players to show a "commitment to rest" as they have to commit to education, work or both. Terrible piece.

One of the true greats of Tipperary hurling has retired today. All the best wishes to Eoin Kelly. It will take one hell of a player to match him in the future. One of the few positives of being a Tipperary fan over the years has been to witness Eoin in his pomp who was quite simply out of this world.

Thanks for everything Eoin

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Eoin Kelly will always be a legend of Tipperary hurling, for 5 or 6 years he was our only forward and carried the hopes of the county on his back.
    Its such a shame he wasn't coming on to the scene now, he deserved more than what he won.
    Thanks for the memories Eoin, was our pleasure to watch you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Sad to see another legend of the game retire, Eoin was always a joy to watch, even for a Kilkenny man. Best of luck to him.

A serious serious competitor. No matter what sport he played he had an unsatible desire to lead, and to win. Hopefully Eoin can offer something to Tipperary hurling in a coaching capacity in the future. With O'Shea stepping down after 2015, it could be a good opportunity to bring Eoin into the setup in order to get him drilled on the cut and thrust of management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

A true Legend of the blue and gold,best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A serious serious competitor. No matter what sport he played he had an unsatible desire to lead, and to win. Hopefully Eoin can offer something to Tipperary hurling in a coaching capacity in the future. With O'Shea stepping down after 2015, it could be a good opportunity to bring Eoin into the setup in order to get him drilled on the cut and thrust of management.
    I echo your sentiments on all but getting Eoin into management so soon. If he was to become part of coaching team at inter county level surely it would be better to see what he is like coaching a club side first? Don't put him in at top level first.

Eoin Kelly was born five days after John O'Brien, Eoin Kelly retires from inter-county hurling five days after John O'Brien

Eoin Kelly, DJ Carey and Paul Flynn - the best inside forwards I've seen (Joe Deane is unlucky here...) - Maybe Seamus Callinan might have a hope here if reproduces four more seasons close to what he did last year

half forward line - Ben O'Connor, Shefflin, Tommy Dunne (Jamsie O'Connor didn't score enough goals- Martin Story and JOhnny Dooley were fantastic too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

First time I saw Kelly he was playing for Kierans and I was never as sickened to hear he was from Tipp.

A class act who carried Tipp during the 00's and I'd imagine we don't know the half of his back/ hamstring troubles. Gave everything to the cause.

I know Henry and Tommy gets a hell of a lot of plaudits - deservedly so - but for me, this man was the best of the Kilkenny bunch - magnificent wing back then went and solved their full back problems -

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-legend-jj-delaney-announces-his-retirement-from-intercounty-hurling-30801290.html

I echo your sentiments on all but getting Eoin into management so soon. If he was to become part of coaching team at inter county level surely it would be better to see what he is like coaching a club side first? Don't put him in at top level first.

From the point of view that Eoin is familiar with the preparation of an intercounty team and is a born leader then i would suggest that he could adapt quickly to a county set up but perhaps working his way up would be a better option for now.

I know Henry and Tommy gets a hell of a lot of plaudits - deservedly so - but for me, this man was the best of the Kilkenny bunch - magnificent wing back then went and solved their full back problems -

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-legend-jj-delaney-announces-his-retirement-from-intercounty-hurling-30801290.html

Agreed 100% ET. For me he was the best. He excelled in two very different positions in the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

From the point of view that Eoin is familiar with the preparation of an intercounty team and is a born leader then i would suggest that he could adapt quickly to a county set up but perhaps working his way up would be a better option for now.
    He is familiar from the playing side but why not see what he's like as a coach first? If he's any good bring him up to inter county level and if he isn't he isn't.

• Advertisement

He is familiar from the playing side but why not see what he's like as a coach first? If he's any good bring him up to inter county level and if he isn't he isn't.

True. I think Eoin would be ideally suited to coaching personally. As for personality type he fits the bill perfectly. Great leadership qualities, determined to win, Popular in the dressing room. Tactical and coaching knowledge yet to be established but id have faith there that he can go on and be a good coach if he chooses to be.

Skoda are gone as our sponsors by the way. Was actually announced Thursday or Friday evening.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/tipp-looking-for-sponsor-after-skoda-deal-finishes-30797438.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Skoda are gone as our sponsors by the way. Was actually announced Thursday or Friday evening.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/tipp-looking-for-sponsor-after-skoda-deal-finishes-30797438.html

Probably a good thing in monetary terms. With the footballers becoming more and more competitive the sponsor has better exposure opportunities. We should be looking to hit the €1.5m mark at least.

Probably a good thing in monetary terms. With the footballers becoming more and more competitive the sponsor has better exposure opportunities. We should be looking to hit the €1.5m mark at least.

Here's hoping we get a hefty sum but what we get will depend on any recent success and population.

Russian Oligarch would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Agreed 100% ET. For me he was the best. He excelled in two very different positions in the backline.

Couldn't agree with ye there lads...
    When young lads are pucking about in kilkenny, I imagine most of them wanna be Henry shefflin, Richie hogan, etc.... Dunno if too many wanna be jj or Jackie.

Not saying jj wasn't great, but I think when you think of real stars of hurling, and maybe it's the "glory" thing but I'd have higher regard for the "constructiveness" , creativity and pure genius of shefflin and eoin.

I think et put eoin on a par with a few others but while it's completely subjective there's nobody close to his sheer greatness bar shefflin. And callinan most certainly never will.

It's such a pity that when his teammates finally became a force in 2009 eoin was past his best. Jesus we'd have been completely humiliated only for him during the 00's. They were baren enough despite his best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Russian Oligarch would be nice...

Fly Emirates

Russian oligarchs tend to fall foul of Putin or their wives;)

digzy wrote: »
    When young lads are pucking about in kilkenny, I imagine most of them wanna be Henry shefflin, Richie hogan, etc.... Dunno if too many wanna be jj or Jackie.

Not saying jj wasn't great, but I think when you think of real stars of hurling, and maybe it's the "glory" thing but I'd have higher regard for the "constructiveness" , creativity and pure genius of shefflin and eoin.

I think et put eoin on a par with a few others but while it's completely subjective there's nobody close to his sheer greatness bar shefflin. And callinan most certainly never will.

It's such a pity that when his teammates finally became a force in 2009 eoin was past his best. Jesus we'd have been completely humiliated only for him during the 00's. They were baren enough despite his best efforts.

I agree with you 100% on the superstar thing. For example, Tipp were a rock at the back in 2010 but Larry who touched the ball a total of 6 times during the match was the name on everyones lips.

But im a firm believer in the old american adage, defense always wins and attack decides by how much. At the end of the day, backs do what they have to do to get the ball away from the area whereas forwards love being on the ball. I would say though that Delaney was the bedrock of many superb Kilkenny performances over the years.

Fly Emirates

Russian oligarchs tend to fall foul of Putin or their wives;)

Maybe Usmanov will come on board since he isnt getting a word in at Arsenal

• Advertisement

The game that stands out for me the most was Tipp v Waterford in 2004. Waterford were on a high having thrashed Clare by 19 pts the previous game and Dan had scored another goal in this match on the banks of the lee. They were 8 points ahead and it only looked like it could get worse, but our EK was having none of it and gave an arc de triumph. We actually could have won that game only for a last minute winner by Paul O'Brien but in all reality, if Tipp were missing Eoin Kelly that day we would have been humiliated beyond belief.

Advertisement