Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Am I Evil? wrote: »

Also.. Dim Sum is now closed :(

You Dim Sum, you lose some.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just had our first Chinese takeaway since dim sum closed, went to Fusion. Not over impressed, food was quite bland.

Any suggestions where else to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just had our first Chinese takeaway since dim sum closed, went to Fusion. Not over impressed, food was quite bland.

It's not Chinese it's Thai but you should try Kaya on O'Connell street. Really nice food.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

There isn't a decent Chinese takeaway in Limerick at the moment. Jasmine isn't too bad for a sit down meal, peony is rated by some but it's bog standard in my opinion. For Asian take away at the moment I wouldn't look past Aroi, Taikichi or Kaya. All newbies but all top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

angeldaisy wrote: »

Chinese Palace in Roxboro is lovely and great value too
    There isn't a decent Chinese takeaway in Limerick at the moment. Jasmine isn't too bad for a sit down meal, peony is rated by some but it's bog standard in my opinion. For Asian take away at the moment I wouldn't look past Aroi, Taikichi or Kaya. All newbies but all top class.

Chinese Palace in Roxboro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

Gingerlilys on Mulgrave street and mixed spice on Davis street are my two main ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Get takeaway from ze we ton in Raheen often enough, never a complaint.

Recently went to the one in Castletroy and it was also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Totally agree - all the chinese places in Limerick are msg-laden and just generic. I would love an authentic Chinese place to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

is there anywhere that does all you can eat buffet in Limerick city

Peony as mentioned above and Pizza Hut are the only 2 I know of. Jasmine Palace stopped doing it for now but it might return.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Whereabouts is Kaya on O'COnnell Street, is that beside Marco Polo?

I went to a lovely chinese/thai/vietnamese restaurant in France, nothing expensive or fancy now, but food was out of this world and so tasty. The spring rolls weren't filo pastry, they were served in lettuce leaves. I couldn't get over how healthy everything was and was told by my french friends that they would consider that a normal chinese. What kind of food are we getting here if thats the case and why is all our stuff loaded with msg/sugar/salt?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whereabouts is Kaya on O'COnnell Street, is that beside Marco Polo?

Kaya is further down O'Connell Street on the same block as the Chicken Hut.

Taikichi is the Japanese restaurant near Marco Polo.

I never knew there was a Pizza Hut buffet ! I can't find any details on their irish website. Does anyone have info on it? Price, what's on offer or when it's on? ... Is it any good !!

Parchment wrote: »
    I never knew there was a Pizza Hut buffet ! I can't find any details on their irish website. Does anyone have info on it? Price, what's on offer or when it's on? ... Is it any good !!

It used to be €10 mon-fri up till 3pm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I absolutely despise Pizza Hut pizza and to be honest it doesn't take an all you can eat style savagery to fill me up of bread and cheese with fizzy drinks. In saying that it must be some peoples cup of tea as it's hugely popular worldwide.
    The pizzas are ready made and you help yourself to slices etc, deep pan mostly but a little bit of variety. You also have access to the salad bar and I think you pay a little extra to serve yourself a whippy style ice cream (very popular with kids)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The pizzas are ready made and you help yourself to slices etc, deep pan mostly but a little bit of variety.

Aw, I remember having to work a few buffet shifts there before I left the place a few years ago! It can be the most boring part of the roster, especially on rainy lunchtimes in September.

The pizzas are freshly made every 20 minutes or so (the chefs have them on timers to make sure they're not left out too long) and more frequently when there's high demand. The pizzas with green handles are the vegetarian options. You'd usually get standard choices (BBQ chicken, pepperoni, ham and mushroom/pineapple) but sometimes they'll put on other toppings if it's quiet and you ask nicely.

An File wrote: »
    Aw, I remember having to work a few buffet shifts there before I left the place a few years ago! It can be the most boring part of the roster, especially on rainy lunchtimes in September.

The pizzas are freshly made every 20 minutes or so (the chefs have them on timers to make sure they're not left out too long) and more frequently when there's high demand. The pizzas with green handles are the vegetarian options. You'd usually get standard choices (BBQ chicken, pepperoni, ham and mushroom/pineapple) but sometimes they'll put on other toppings if it's quiet and you ask nicely.

I have always found Pizza Hut great for accommodating dietary needs- they will happily omit cheese from pizzas etc.

I have always found Pizza Hut great for accommodating dietary needs- they will happily omit cheese from pizzas etc.

Yeah, that's true. They made the effort to introduce gluten free bases shortly before I left as well. Probably other changes since then too!

Mon-Fri 12ish until 3pm. 9.99 per person and for that you get as much pizza and salad you want. They have the more popular types and I felt was worth it. Not amazing that I'm rushing to go back but if I wanted food and one was near by I would go in. For 3 euro you get a soft drink and refills. (This isnt exclusive to the buffet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I have a feeling I may have asked this question here before but... Is there anywhere in Limerick that does tapas??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I always found the Hong Kong in William Street pretty good for a takeaway tbh. Kaya and Aroi are really good, haven't gotten around to trying Taikichi yet.

I went to the Bella Italia on Thomas Street on Saturday with the nephew and I was quite impressed. It was the first time I was there in twenty years. I got a lovely Beef Canneloni with side salad. and the Nephew got Lasagne with garlic bread. The bill was just over €20 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Peony as mentioned above and Pizza Hut are the only 2 I know of. Jasmine Palace stopped doing it for now but it might return.

I think that the chinese beside the Castletroy park hotel does a buffet?

Also the chinese in the complex where the groody bar is/was also used to buffet.

Not sure if either are still going.

893bet wrote: »
    I think that the chinese beside the Castletroy park hotel does a buffet?

Also the chinese in the complex where the groody bar is/was also used to buffet.

Not sure if either are still going.

ah yes, Jumbo or something I think its called. Mixed reviews for it from what I remember.

ah yes, Jumbo or something I think its called. Mixed reviews for it from what I remember.

I think its called Chungs - i passed recently and they had a big sign about a buffet and that they dont use MSG - i wonder is it any good?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think its called Chungs - i passed recently and they had a big sign about a buffet and that they dont use MSG - i wonder is it any good?!

It's very good actually, not the best I've had but still very good.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    It's very good actually, not the best I've had but still very good.

interesting! the buffet might be worth a go so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Chinese ob raheem roundabout advertising buffet on Sundays on limerick post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hi! I'm going to be visiting Limerick City in 2 weeks and I'm looking for a buffet. Anywhere in the city would be fine and the castletroy area! It doesn't matter what type of food. And could someone recommend something to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Hi! I'm going to be visiting Limerick City in 2 weeks and I'm looking for a buffet. Anywhere in the city would be fine and the castletroy area! It doesn't matter what type of food. And could someone recommend something to eat?

Chungs in Castletroy do a chinese buffet. There are others in this thread talking about it but it's good food and they don't use MSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

gotasmoke wrote: »
    Chungs in Castletroy do a chinese buffet. There are others in this thread talking about it but it's good food and they don't use MSG.

Where is Chungs? Is that the one beside Castletroy Park Hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

vkid wrote: »
    Where is Chungs? Is that the one beside Castletroy Park Hotel?

It is. Upstairs from Delish.

Advertisement