Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Jasmine Palace do a lovely all you can eat buffet 12-2pm at weekends. They have some non Chinese food too. Very tasty Chinese dishes though. Even some vegetarian choices.

Kaya Thai restaurant on O'Connell Street is my new favourite place to Eat! The food is yummy and they have a good lunch time menu. Lots of food on the dish and good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't I read somewhere on here that the Jasmine stop doing the buffet recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

bazz26 wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere on here that the Jasmine stop doing the buffet recently?

Its not running anymore - that posters information is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Didn't realise the buffet had stopped... pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Went to Brimstone for the first time on Saturday Night after the Mayo match.

Must say the food and service were absolutely fantastic.

Think it was 29.95 for for a four course meal including Starter, Sorbet, Main and Dessert. Great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

I eat out for 3 courses at least once a week. Sometimes twice.

My wife and I always end up back at chocolat. Food and value for money is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Chocolat last Sunday with wife's family, nothing to write home about everything was fine and Good value

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Best Chinese around lads we've been going to zweton in raheen we go takeaway the other day and it was horrible the rice was almost crunchy and the sauce was like water

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so its not the best chinese around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had Sunday lunch yesterday in Russell's bar, Fr. Russell Road, Dooradoyle.

Great service, ample food portions and served piping hot - exactly as I like it.
    Roast beef was delicious. I often eat there and I can safely say they do, imho, the best pub lunches anywhere in Limerick.

Now if only Tipp. had scored that last crucial point, my day would have been perfect. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Reading about Russells there has reminded me that we've eaten in Collins's (is that how you write it?) in Dooradoyle a few times recently and I have to say that for pub grub it is outstanding. It would rival most of the supposed fine dining spots in Limerick. Fabulous for kids as well and the baby bowl is possibly the best I've ever tasted, it would make a fine meal in itself. The confit duck that I had the last time I was there was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so its not the best chinese around :confused:

What I meant to say was what's the best Chinese?? Need somewhere new

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Did the buffet in the Peony Court the other day - first time in years. Great variety and value, €10.

But why do they put celery in all the dishes ? Never got that ... doesn't seem to suit chinese food IMO.

Still - was yummy meal ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Got a takeaway from that new Japanese Place on Catherine St. The staff were very nice and friendly and the food was tasty enough but very overpriced imo. You're talking around E15 for a feed. It's not somewhere I'll be getting a casual take away from any time soon. Although I can see myself going there for a meal in there. They have done up the place beautifully.

Unfortunately, I can't see the place doing too well. It's not the greatest area for a Japanese restaurant imo and I honestly don't think there's room for another one as the one on O'Connell St has an excellent reputation.

magma69 wrote: »
    Got a takeaway from that new Japanese Place on Catherine St. The staff were very nice and friendly and the food was tasty enough but very overpriced imo. You're talking around E15 for a feed. It's not somewhere I'll be getting a casual take away from any time soon. Although I can see myself going there for a meal in there. They have done up the place beautifully.

Unfortunately, I can't see the place doing too well. It's not the greatest area for a Japanese restaurant imo and I honestly don't think there's room for another one as the one on O'Connell St has an excellent reputation.

I absolutely love Japanese food and Taikichi is indeed an excellent restaurant so I'd be quite biased but I think that if Limerick can support (wild guess) 30 crappy and identical Chinese restaurants then we can only hope that two good Japanese joints can keep their heads above water. Good luck to them and I look forward to checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Buffet coming back to Jasmine. They posted it up on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

magma69 wrote: »

I had a chicken curry from there and it was exceptional IMO. A bit pricey bit I would prefer to pay the 12-15 quid and really enjoy than pay a tenner and be disappointed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Went to Akasaka on Catherine St last night and I must say I was delighted with it.
    We had a fairly large selection of Sushi, Gyoza, Norimaki, Yakatori, and Katsu and it was all of very good quality.

I eat a lot of Japanese(Usually at home :( ) or in Galway/Dublin and while I have eaten in Taikichi(And I will again) and will second the consensus that it is a very good spot....
    Akasaka currently beats it for me on a value for money basis.
    The vast majority of their menu is very competitively priced against their local competition(Not as cheap as a Chinese but cheaper than Taikichi).
    I hope this spot gains the custom it deserves and indeed that Limerick can support the customer base that 2 quality Nipponese restaurants deserve

banie01 wrote: »
    Went to Akasaka on Catherine St last night and I must say I was delighted with it.
    We had a fairly large selection of Sushi, Gyoza, Norimaki, Yakatori, and Katsu and it was all of very good quality.

I eat a lot of Japanese(Usually at home :( ) or in Galway/Dublin and while I have eaten in Taikichi(And I will again) and will second the consensus that it is a very good spot....
    Akasaka currently beats it for me on a value for money basis.
    The vast majority of their menu is very competitively priced against their local competition(Not as cheap as a Chinese but cheaper than Taikichi).
    I hope this spot gains the custom it deserves and indeed that Limerick can support the customer base that 2 quality Nipponese restaurants deserve

Its a pity they dont offer as many veggie options as their rivals in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Parchment wrote: »
    Its a pity they dont offer as many veggie options as their rivals in the city.

Can't argue with that, more options would be welcome but for myself vegetarian wouldn't be a dealbreaker.
    That said their Veg tempura was lovely but a limited range of veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Can anyone recommend a good Indian in town? Haven't found a replacement for Shimla Thurles since I've moved up. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Can anyone recommend a good Indian in town? Haven't found a replacement for Shimla Thurles since I've moved up. :/

Poppadoms down near the market is lovely. Not the most exciting looking place, but lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mogul Emperor at the corner of Henry Street/Sarsfield Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Any buffets? Can't beat an Indian buffet.

In and off topic I guess... But I saw the lovely people from Bon Appetit creperie In The market were closed this weekend as they were getting married! Congrats to them- their crepes are delicious and they are a pleasure to talk to.

Parchment wrote: »
    In and off topic I guess... But I saw the lovely people from Bin Appetit creperie In The market were closed this weekend as they were getting married! Congrats to them- their crepes are delicious and they are a pleasure to talk to.

Kasha and Sebastian, congratulations to them, both lovely people and great with the kids when we pay our regular trips to them, excellent pancakes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

The buffet started back in Jasmine last Sunday €20 and is on Friday and Saturday €15 this week.

Peony Court is €10 Monday to Friday and €15 on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Spice of India on O'Connell street, every bit as good as Shimla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Mogul for Indian in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I love the pizza from four seasons at the groody centre! :D

Advertisement