Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

MrStuffins wrote: »

This should be great for fighters going forward! 20% off apparel sales going to them, getting paid for wearing Reebok etc.

I wonder what the base pay will be for an unranked fighter from July 2015...

Although current sponsors will be looking to pay less now considering there will be no official "UFC" airtime of there products. They are going to have to branch out into different advertising mediums. Will probably move towards the endorsement type of deal rather than sponsorship going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thats going to put alot of MMA clothing companies out of business imo, I know theres all sorts of other organisations were fighters can wear there gear but nothing compares to the UFC as it is promotionally. It has its pros and cons obviously but meh it doesnt effect me so im not fussed atall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Josh Koscheck v Jake Ellenberger fighting at UFC 184. Great card for that so far.

Weidman v Belfort, Rousey v Zingano, Bigfoot v Mir, Ronaldo Souza v Yoel Romero and now Koscheck v Ellenberger.

Best looking card of 2015 yet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Josh Koscheck v Jake Ellenberger fighting at UFC 184. Great card for that so far.

Weidman v Belfort, Rousey v Zingano, Bigfoot v Mir, Ronaldo Souza v Yoel Romero and now Koscheck v Ellenberger.

Best looking card of 2015 yet imo.

Looks almost too good. Any of those last 3 fights would usually headline a fight night card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Kos Vs Ellenberger could a P45 match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Kos maybe , i thought jake only signed a new contract ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Does the Reebok deal seem relatively small to anyone else? A six year deal for 560 fighters at $70 million dollars overall. It seems small for exclusive advertising rights during fight week and in the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thinking about UFC fighters is all well and good, but surely a lot of apparel companies sponsor up and coming fighters with the possibility of them fighting in the UFC in mind? Getting in there before they reach the big stage? That won't be the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does the Reebok deal seem relatively small to anyone else? A six year deal for 560 fighters at $70 million dollars overall. It seems small for exclusive advertising rights during fight week and in the octagon.
    Have official figures been released yet?
    I only heard 8-figures per year.
    In terms of annual broadcast hours, and viewership the UFC is quite a way behind other mainstream sports.

$72 million works out at $24k per fight, average. Or 250-300k per card. Hardly record breaking, but still a decent splash of cash from Reebok.
    I think the quiet, low ranked, up and comers are doing a lot better out of this. The higher ranked guys will be looking at more and more out-of-octagon deals.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Thinking about UFC fighters is all well and good, but surely a lot of apparel companies sponsor up and coming fighters with the possibility of them fighting in the UFC in mind? Getting in there before they reach the big stage?
    Sponsorship outside of the UFC is terrible really. Basically I don't think the bolded bit happens, at least not in a "Getting in before the big stage" kinda of way. Any sponsors that fighters outside can secure is probably just fight by fight and no apparel companies are giving out deals to lock themselves in once a fighter is UFC signed. Perfect example is McGregor. His UFC signing was always imminent after the 145 title. He had no sponsors for his 155 title fight, was wearing part of Bad Boy vale tudo shorts, but I imagine they were just shorts he owned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Thought Cockcheck retired already?

Anyway don't see why that fight is news.

Two of them have completely lost it. The last six fights or so involving those guys have been shocking

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Have official figures been released yet?
    I only heard 8-figures per year.
    In terms of annual broadcast hours, and viewership the UFC is quite a way behind other mainstream sports.

Just saw the figures discussed in this article which are speculative, but probably close to the correct figure.
    http://fw.to/2XObugV

24k per event isn't that large though. If you consider each fighter from the undercard up will be wearing Reebok during fight week, in interviews and then in the Octagon, that's not a lot to pay. For example the adverts on the octagon or that Mike Goldberg announces during fights certainly cost more than 24k per event. According to Forbes, the UFC is the tenth largest sports brand in the world. Even given a discount for a consistent payment over 6 years, 24k per event seems incredibly low. Especially for a sports brand that stages events globally and has continued to grow year on year in different markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Was also convinced Kos retired. Pretty sure Dana mentioned it in the post fight presser after the Woodley fight.

I remeber those halycon days when the likes of Mark Coleman ran out into the ring in a pair or Reebok runners in Pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the deal will help the ufc more then fighters in my opinion, but it was probably made with that in mind, It's also going to damage mma clothing companies. There's just no plus to this

the deal will help the ufc more then fighters in my opinion, but it was probably made with that in mind, It's also going to damage mma clothing companies. There's just no plus to this

The consistency of income is the big plus that baited the UFC I'd imagine. How many fighters, especially emerging ones, often struggle to get enough sponsors etc. It's a guaranteed income with an established brand for 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Anyone know what time our time is the Invicta Event on Fight Pass on Friday and if it can be watched straight away the next day as perhaps staying up for that and UFC the following night might not be on the cards :rolleyes:

Anyone know what time our time is the Invicta Event on Fight Pass on Friday and if it can be watched straight away the next day as perhaps staying up for that and UFC the following night might not be on the cards :rolleyes:

3am Saturday morning our time. I know events can be watched on jailbroken devices the next day on fightpass, but legitimately I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

24k per event isn't that large though.

Mellor (assuming he's right) said 24k per fight, not per event.

24k per fight isn't bad, although considering that it will be weighted depending on fighter rank, We don't know what the exact split will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just saw the figures discussed in this article which are speculative, but probably close to the correct figure.
    http://fw.to/2XObugV

24k per event isn't that large though. If you consider each fighter from the undercard up will be wearing Reebok during fight week, in interviews and then in the Octagon, that's not a lot to pay. For example the adverts on the octagon or that Mike Goldberg announces during fights certainly cost more than 24k per event.
    The 24k was for each fight. I estimated per event at 250-300k. That sounds a lot better right? I imagine that's comparable with the feature PPV sponsors, although they are a lot more prominent and once off, so might be higher. And importantly, the Reebok deal applies to Fight Night, TUF finale cards and PPVs equally.
    According to Forbes, the UFC is the tenth largest sports brand in the world. Even given a discount for a consistent payment over 6 years, 24k per event seems incredibly low. Especially for a sports brand that stages events globally and has continued to grow year on year in different markets.
    Forbes ranked the UFC at 10th largest brand it's category (Businesses), not overall. Some of the big hitters in US sports are in other categories.
    They estimated that the NFL’s Superbowl is the most valuable event, and that one day event is worth more than an entire year for the UFC.
    The most valuable NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys, who have a total est. value twice that of the UFC. The UFC is worth around the same as an average NFL team, but there’s 32 teams in the whole league. The NFL-Reebok deal from 2002-2012 was $25 million per year.
    So if the UFC-Reebok deal is about 12 million per year now, its sound about right to me considering the size difference.
    Last year Nike made a massive new deal with the NFL, which is essentially what I think the UFC’s long term plan is here. For the next 6 years this deal won’t make them a penny, all the profits go to the fighters. Then in 2020 they strike a bigger deal with whoever and then they a share.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Mellor (assuming he's right) said 24k per fight, not per event.

24k per fight isn't bad, although considering that it will be weighted depending on fighter rank, We don't know what the exact split will be.

I misread that initially. In retrospect 300k, roughly, is actually a decent amount per event. I'll be gracious and say, f*ck you Mellor you're right.

• Advertisement

Just rewatched 166, man what an event. The main card was magical. Sanchez v Gil is defo up there with the best fights of all time.

Man, Joanne Calderwood is such a sweetheart

ASOT wrote: »
    Just rewatched 166, man what an event. The main card was magical. Sanchez v Gil is defo up there with the best fights of all time.

If you liked that, asot, then you'll love this onePride 21 Demolition - Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takay…: http://youtu.be/dapfW9AkfsQ

Anyone know why Cathal Pendred's wikipedia page isn't back?

I remember he had one but it was voted to take it down as he wasn't notable enough cause he wasn't in the UFC.

Now he's been on TUF and has had two UFC victories so you'd imagine it would be back up by now.

If you liked that, asot, then you'll love this onePride 21 Demolition - Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takay…: http://youtu.be/dapfW9AkfsQ

Cheers il give it a watch now!! Been watching all the old Pride events on Fight Pass there have been some absolute wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Anyone know why Cathal Pendred's wikipedia page isn't back?

I remember he had one but it was voted to take it down as he wasn't notable enough cause he wasn't in the UFC.

Now he's been on TUF and has had two UFC victories so you'd imagine it would be back up by now.

You have to have at least three fights in UFC, Bellator or Shooto I think. Four specific organisations. Joseph Duffy had a fairly extensive page on there too but they took it down.

Shame really, I often wonder what motivates these wikipedia deleters. Like when they deleted all the UFC event pages for a couple of years there. It's not as if these pages take up a giant amount of space and people went to the bother of making them.

In other news, Masvidal pulled out of the fight with Norman Parke and Gleison Tibau has stepped in. Decent replacement I think, if Parke is strong enough to push him up againt the cage for the first then Tibau could possibly wilt like he does. Interesting fight and I think Parke has a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Norman Parke has a new opponent for 180

Cung Le wants to be released, i doubt they will let him go hes 100% going to jump ship to Belator.

http://whoatv.com/cung-le-requests-a-release-saying-i-got-a-bad-taste-in-my-mouth-with-the-ufc/

Also fields signs with BAMMA, wish him all the best hes alot sounder than Pendred.

http://whoatv.com/chris-fields-signs-with-bamma/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

That Chris Fields Interview is over a year old i think.

• Advertisement

califano wrote: »
    That Chris Fields Interview is over a year old i think.

Well it does say

"Check out this Close Up Interview we did with Chris prior to him entering the TUF house."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement