Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're not getting it, if there is even a sniff of anarchy (e.g. fighting with Gardaí) or if people think they are walking behind a Sinn Fein banner, they will abandon the protests which would be a disaster.

Still rolling out that line, Last nights had absolutely NOTHING to do with the nationwide movement.

Whats more is , you know that already but are just being Daily Mail about it.

Im pretty confident you have no affiliation to any of the marches organised and appear to just be on the sideline jeering at people who have taken part in them. Calling them Shinners Eirigi and all the other lefty names that suits.

Someone who was involved with them would admit how peaceful they are and were and how their are faces their from all walks of life.

You are just being sensationalist.

IF and WHAT and ANARCHY and JESUS GOD

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

listermint wrote: »
    Still rolling out that line, Last nights had absolutely NOTHING to do with the nationwide movement.

Whats more is , you know that already but are just being Daily Mail about it.

Im pretty confident you have no affiliation to any of the marches organised and appear to just be on the sideline jeering at people who have taken part in them. Calling them Shinners Eirigi and all the other lefty names that suits.

Someone who was involved with them would admit how peaceful they are and were and how their are faces their from all walks of life.

You are just being sensationalist.

IF and WHAT and ANARCHY and JESUS GOD

I took part in protests,the most anti-social element was the weather.

I would see the country go to rat **** for a spell just to see an end to this bolloxx
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I totally understand where you are coming from . Maybe it's time to burn and turn (not literally ),Let it all collapse on itself and maybe from the ashes something good could be allowed to develop and grow if you know what I mean

Please, what a load of nonsense.

let the country be ruined over a few hundred euro of a water charge, some people really need to take a look at themselves.
    We have another bubble in the making now in the tech sector

And long may it continue creating jobs and improving the conditions and pay of those who spent years in university qualifying in many different science, engineering and IT fields. Sure lets artificially prevent people getting jobs and pay rises just out of begrudgery :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Looks like the mask(no pun intended) is beginning to slip for the prime movers and shakers behind these water protests.

Gullible people are being played for fools by hard-left anarchists.

Luckily for the rest of society, there's nothing more stupid that a hard-leftie - guaranteed to shoot themselves in the foot eventually.

let the country be ruined over a few hundred euro of a water charge, some people really need to take a look at themselves.

Yes people are annoyed about a few Hundred Euro.

I really applaud how you have downplayed the fundamental things that are going on at the root of Irish Politics.

I suppose your one of the lads who would give Charlie a pat on the back and give him Kudos for not getting caught.

Poor effort Nox. I expected more.

• Advertisement

Looks like the mask(no pun intended) is beginning to slip for the prime movers and shakers behind these water protests.

Gullible people are being played for fools by hard-left anarchists.

Luckily for the rest of society, there's nothing more stupid that a hard-leftie - guaranteed to shoot themselves in the foot eventually.

Correct, there was 150,000 outside Clontarf Garda Station. That mask fell right off. :rolleyes: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

150k (modest estimate) took to the streets on Saturday, not as much as a piece of litter dropped, or a dirty look thrown.

100 people marched on a Garda station last night, and a minority of them (don't have a clue how many tbh, haven't seen a video yet) were rowdy.

Govt supporters will obviously hang on to that tiny minority of eejits to tar the rest (including the million plus who didn't even return a form)

Business as usual from high horse brigade.

The protests will go on, hopefully the fringe elements stay at home though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

So explain to me this, Where in the hell is this Anarchy going to come from when both previous marches have had nothing of the sort. And you are comparing a group who have nothing to do with the actual nationwide marches and marched to some Garda Station in Dublin.

Look I get it but when you see headlines like below, you know the government will look for any opportunity to tar the protests and put people off.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/leo-varadkar-slams-sinister-fringe-to-water-protests-30723122.html
    Minster for Health Leo Varadkar has criticised a "sinister fringe" to the water charge protests and has called on Sinn Fein and the Austerity Alliance to condemn the ugly scenes which marred protests yesterday.

I will go to the next protest for sure, the last one inspired me. But ignore the SF/AAA element at your peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

The protests will go on, hopefully the fringe elements stay at home though.

The normal decent people need to make them stay at home! They need to be told to feck off.

Yes people are annoyed about a few Hundred Euro.

I really applaud how you have downplayed the fundamental things that are going on at the root of Irish Politics.

I suppose your one of the lads who would give Charlie a pat on the back and give him Kudos for not getting caught.

Poor effort Nox. I expected more.

I have said numerous times that I am not necessarily in favour of water charges but I'm not in favour of a lot of other taxes and charges either many of which affect me far far more than water charges ever will. At least water charges are going to directly supply me with water. I'd much rather knock 200 euro of my car tax or a further reduction in income taxes than cancellation of water charges.

But no matter how much the water charge irks and annoys people, suggesting that its worth letting the country go to "ruin" what will be a relatively small amount of money every year in the grand scheme of things is total and utter nonsense and if you cant see that then I cant do much for you.

• Advertisement

I have said numerous times that I am not necessarily in favour of water charges but I'm not in favour of a lot of other taxes and charges either many of which affect me far far more than water charges ever will. At least water charges are going to directly supply me with water. I'd much rather knock 200 euro of my car tax or a further reduction in income taxes than cancellation of water charges.

But no matter how much the water charge irks and annoys people, suggesting that its worth letting the country go to "ruin" what will be a relatively small amount of money every year in the grand scheme of things is total and utter nonsense and if you cant see that then I cant do much for you.

no the problem here is you are hanging on single words out of some people. When its plain as day most are unhappy about how this whole thing was handled.

Any smart Government would have come out with full blown advertising campaign as to how we need to introduce a charge.

We will use some of the National Pension reserve fund to go out there and FIX the network for YOU and get the ball rolling. (creating and stimulating jobs) Once we have hit some fixed targets of repair we introduce modest charging for all.

And we create a Small Dynamic Central Team to coordinate the current councils on best practice and insuring that they are drawing down and using the allocated funds from the Charge which is ring fenced.

Now I didnt do Politics 101 in Uni but do you think that would have flown with the majority and actually worked on two fronts.

Creating jobs and pushing perception that we are moving in the right direction.

I mean who is in charge in Labour and FG, they are clearly a bunch of utter morons.

To start off with.

I dare anyone to argue with above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

The normal decent people need to make them stay at home! They need to be told to feck off.

Exactly, if I were at a protest and I realised that SF and the AAA were there organising things I would simply turn around and head home. The protests should be about the public being upset and annoyed about these charges, they shouldn't be hijacked by any political party trying to win votes. The more they turn up at protests with banners etc the more people they will drive away from the protests.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Exactly, if I were at a protest and I realised that SF and the AAA were there organising things I would simply turn around and head home. The protests should be about the public being upset and annoyed about these charges, they shouldn't be hijacked by any political party trying to win votes. The more they turn up at protests with banners etc the more people they will drive away from the protests.

Ive read your posts. You havent been to one.

You are sidelining an incident at a Garda Station as something to do with the grass roots community organised nationwide marches.

Your mask fell off around the corner, I can pop around and get it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I have said numerous times that I am not necessarily in favour of water charges but I'm not in favour of a lot of other taxes and charges either many of which affect me far far more than water charges ever will.

The overall issue is little to do with water charges.

Or in other words,water charges are a side effect of a much bigger issue.

The Irish Times piece on here,gives an example,to some extent,of what these issues are.

There are a small minority,at this juncture,that still cannot grasp,or who do not want to grasp...

The fact that the the protests and anger amongst the public at large,is related to many other tangible issues.

These issues have all been listed here before.

With the HHC resignation process, people had to pay €100 to register to be fleeced by the Govt.

They've changed tactics now though it seems.
    Four €25 payments over a year

The cost of water charges is to be offset by a 100 euro social welfare payment to every household in Ireland.

According to the Irish Independent, the payment will be made over the course of a year in four 25 euro payments to everyone who registers with Irish Water.
    http://www.todayfm.com/mobile/index.php?id=11677

Unconfirmed reports suggest all monies will be inside small brown envelopes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Ive read your posts. You havent been to one.

You are sidelining an incident at a Garda Station as something to do with the grass roots community organised nationwide marches.

Your mask fell off around the corner, I can pop around and get it for you.

Yeah please do go get it??? Whatever that means. You may want to read my post again and try to grasp a better understanding of it. Here let me give you a little hand reading the simple bit of text. I said

The part highlighted in bold above pretty much explains everything, in particular the use of the word IF, you see that isn't me saying I was at any protests as you seem to claim that is me saying if I were at a protest do you understand this now?

Also, I would be delighted if you could highlight the part where I mentioned anything (now anything at all) about an incident at a Garda Station. I have read my post again a couple of times now and cant find any reference to a Garda Station in it. You seem to have found a reference in it so if you could be so kind as to quote my post and highlight said reference that'd be great.

To start off with.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

let the country be ruined over a few hundred euro of a water charge, some people really need to take a look at themselves

And long may it continue creating jobs and improving the conditions and pay of those who spent years in university qualifying in many different science, engineering and IT fields. Sure lets artificially prevent people getting jobs and pay rises just out of begrudgery :rolleyes:.

please do I really have to explain that its the political system and its present form that we are referring too and not the ruining of the country , But I suppose that would not make your little post look or sound as good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

You're not getting it, if there is even a sniff of anarchy (e.g. fighting with Gardaí) or if people think they are walking behind a Sinn Fein banner, they will abandon the protests which would be a disaster.

Thats an assumption.

There have been sporadic incidents reported since the protests began.

And the media gave them full coverage.

However the public anger and protests have increased in volume,and numbers.

It is safe to say,that the media in general,have now copped the public mood.

The protests were and are the catalysts.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Reading a post in personal issues a couple of days ago of a working dad who could barely survive supporting his daughter, putting a roof over their heads. Living on food vouchers from the SVP, never had a night out in 6 years.

That would break your heart reading that. I'm sure there's more struggling families out there.

And they expect people to come up with money they don't have ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Heres my take at this point on the IW situation:

In theory i CAN afford to pay for water. It would be a massive struggle and my already frugal life style will get even more so and would probably involve an all ready glowing credit card but I could do it. Perhaps my 4 days camping on Achill which constitutes a family holiday wold have to go but I could do this....
    But i wont because , perhaps as a result of being the youngest of a large family I have this over whelming sense of fair play. I have a compulsion to see justice done, i HATE the thought of people simply getting away with things. I have always been prepared to suffer just to satisfy this compulsion.
    I honestly would prefer to see the entire IW AND political system collapse and to see things get worse here financially just to see fair play.
    Denis O'Brien, Hubert Kearns, John Tierney, Coleman Shanley, the 6 figure salaries, the expenses, the back handers, the cronyism, it drives me nuts, possibly from a childish level (Youngest of a large family again!!)
    I would see the country go to rat **** for a spell just to see an end to this bolloxx

Best post on this thread.

This country need to break properly before we can fix it, it's rotten to the core.

Link?

A link to the future?

Look at motor tax....... Even the little / low emission based engines that had lower tax bands to entice people to buy them, and and (predictably) shot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

A link to the future?

Look at motor tax....... Even the little / low emission based engines that had lower tax bands to entice people to buy them, and and (predictably) shot up.

I think he actually wants a link to that already not disputed fact that the charges will be there to cover the cost of IW, which we were told by Enda would be a rise of what 4%.

So if he cant take Endas word that the charges would go up dramatically once they have the ball rolling i dont know what he wants.

And history indicated that no efficiency will ever be made, it will just be increase after increase to 'cover' the costs of the staff and whatever new cost needs covering under IW.

A link to the future?

Exactly a link to the future which you obviously cant provide so how can you be so sure. Of course there me be small increases, few percent here and there over the years but you can be sure it wont be anything significant.

Look at the end of the day as I said if there were no water charges all the better but I can see the logic (everyone pays, ring fenced for water etc etc) in their introduction especially when coupled with reduced income taxes, especially as it will cost taxpayers more if they pay it in tax rather than a charge due to subsiding those who pay no tax.

It will be irrelevant to me anyway in a few years as I will most likely be living in my home area where compulsory water charges have been in place for years and they wont be going away so to be honest I think its only fair the rest of the country should pay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

It will be irrelevant to me anyway in a few years as I will most likely be living in my home area where compulsory water charges have been in place for years and they wont be going away so to be honest I think its only fair the rest of the country should pay too.

The rest of the country have been paying as long as they were paying tax.

Daith wrote: »
    The rest of the country have been paying as long as they were paying tax.

Last time I checked everyone in my area was paying a water charge and paying tax... and tax has now been reduced to compensate for the water charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Last time I checked everyone in my area was paying a water charge and paying tax... and tax has now been reduced to compensate for the water charge.

That wasn't your point.

"I think its only fair the rest of the country should pay too."

However Enda said that tax should raise by 4% instead of Irish Water. Did taxes decrease by 4% then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement