Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

ricero wrote: »
    ... favourite character ?

Van Alden without a doubt made the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Actually just realised the biggest problem I had with the last season was Mickey Doyle's cheap and pointless death, he deserved better.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Van Alden in the iron scene is one of my favorite scenes of all time he was my fav.

Ye, that was great, honourable mention to Harrows killing spree in season 3 but my favourite scene in the whole thing was the meeting at Nuckys on New Years eve in the basement where he informs everybody he will be dealing with Rothstein exclusively, so funny :D. Well actually maybe not my favourite but very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

At the end of season 4, Wasn't narcisse set up as an informant for the FBI? Not one mention of it in the final season though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

iMuse wrote: »
    At the end of season 4, Wasn't narcisse set up as an informant for the FBI? Not one mention of it in the final season though

Have to think that was shot when they thought they were getting at least a full final season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I really like these videos, especially the one of van Alden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Ye, that was great, honourable mention to Harrows killing spree in season 3 but my favourite scene in the whole thing was the meeting at Nuckys on New Years eve in the basement where he informs everybody he will be dealing with Rothstein exclusively, so funny :D. Well actually maybe not my favourite but very entertaining

EVERYBODY GOT GUNS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

iMuse wrote: »

A lot of people were. He was a puppet master. It falls in line with historical narrative so it was at least some flavour of the time, hardly something to complain about.
    Who knows that it wouldn't have gone elsewhere though. Would you have wanted time given to it? I think the best route was taken to the shows conclusion tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The beginning of the end for Nucky, in hindsight (at least in the world of this show). Had he not gotten over-confident in his spot then as kingpin, it may not have led to the likes of Luciano and Lansky growing agitated and more ambitious as a result. They were all happy families back then, happy to suck it up because Nucky had all the cards. He, unfortunately for himself, realised this too and tried to make his life easier at a price.

Chalky and Harrow were both fantastically complex and fleshed out characters, but Rosetti is one of the most enthralling presences I've ever seen on television. He'd have to be my favourite. Though Capone was fantastically played too, and they did a great job bringing Luciano full circle. Gah, why do I have to pick?!?!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

fave characters:
    Meyer Lanksy - most deserving of the gangsters. always kept calm and always played his cards right. when he did get too greedy, he learned fast and was able to get out of it. made the right friends and rose far above his 'station'

Al Capone - played perfectly. from psycho to showman within a second and so naturally too. knew he couldnt reel himself in, remember the implications with his son when he let off a blank beside Jimmy. very complex

Van Alden - probably the best performance by an actor on the show imo. absolutely rich background and a lot of strings to his bow. probably deserved better in the end but that was part of the character, the suddenness of how things happen to him.

Harrow - amazing and really shows how a series can grow a character. he was meant to be killed off in series 2 but grew to be integral to so many peoples lives. best story imo

• Advertisement

BMMachine wrote: »
    fave characters:
    Meyer Lanksy - most deserving of the gangsters. always kept calm and always played his cards right. when he did get too greedy, he learned fast and was able to get out of it. made the right friends and rose far above his 'station'

Al Capone - played perfectly. from psycho to showman within a second and so naturally too. knew he couldnt reel himself in, remember the implications with his son when he let off a blank beside Jimmy. very complex

Van Alden - probably the best performance by an actor on the show imo. absolutely rich background and a lot of strings to his bow. probably deserved better in the end but that was part of the character, the suddenness of how things happen to him.

Harrow - amazing and really shows how a series can grow a character. he was meant to be killed off in series 2 but grew to be integral to so many peoples lives. best story imo

I thought lansky was like a bugsy Malone character, not the best. I thought
    lucky was better.

I agree with the others entirely though, I though jim darmody was brilliant too. My favourites would be chalky white, van alden, nucky and I loved Rothstein, I thought he was superb!!

Did anyone like ely??? I thought he was a very tragic figure, I liked him
    You could see him dead in months having drank all the money and gambled the rest.

I'm sure gonna miss them dancers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

My favourite character easily is Richard Harrow. I absolutely loved his story, and threw in a few badass moments too. Hands down it's Harrow.

Van Alden comes 2nd. Almost every scene was interesting or perversely hilarious. That man had a temper :pac:

Im no dunsky but that tent with the girl from the future and the whole TV thing threw me or went over me. What was that about??? The one on the boardwalk?

im all ears...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

rusty cole wrote: »
    Im no dunsky but that tent with the girl from the future and the whole TV thing threw me or went over me. What was that about??? The one on the boardwalk?

im all ears...

It was explained in one of them inside the episode features on the boardwalk youtube page. Was just to illustrate that his time has gone now. They're moving into a new age

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭squonk

The tent thing was why I ended up disappointed. For me, when I saw it, I immediately felt that it was a pointer towards Nucky's future. Here he was with a big bag of money and, while I thought it was a little contrived, it said to me that he'd get out of there OK and I thought it signaled that he'd continue to invest and be successful or end up getting involved in technology in some way. Then the next minute he gets shot. Rather silly IMHO.

Shane St. wrote: »
    It was explained in one of them inside the episode features on the boardwalk youtube page. Was just to illustrate that his time has gone now. They're moving into a new age

ah collio thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just hit me there that Richard did so much for Tommy to keep him on the straight and narrow and look where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just hit me there that Richard did so much for Tommy to keep him on the straight and narrow and look where we are

I found that sad alright. Surprised Tommy had any contact with Gillian considering her conviction and incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lucky and Lansky weren't explained clearly enough to someone who didn't know the mob history. The show read best if you went straight for wikipedia when they appeared on the scene c. season 2. Lansky was not Lucky's sidekick. If anything, he was the brains behind the mob. Lucky was junior partner with the required Sicilian connections. Bugsy was portrayed accurately as a loudmouth with grand visions. They were childhood pals who clanned together to beat up the bullies on their street. Literally. Then one street became the next and next thing you know - the world seems so small.
    Nucky could have walked away a la Joe Kennedy with some bent stock market dealings or died. A coin was flipped and the fictional character died.
    If it makes anyone feel better, there is a directors cut in my head where Nucky makes it to Cuba, invests in real estate and dies happily before Castro spoils the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Best female character

Boardwalk Empire - Billy Kent's Cinema Audition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Would a branch off series...let's call it, say, American Empire...have merit?!

I think Boardwalk Empire, for all it's good, suffered from the people making decisions behind the scenes...

I think a continuation of the story of the NY mob documenting Luciano and Lansky through the eyes of a fictional character during the 30's/40's/50's (Godfather timeframe) would be successful if they can maybe hire Vince Gilligan and his writing crew (Breaking Bad) and David Fincher (House of Cards director).

They could potentially start prior to the ending of BE and showcase the Castellammare War and show the death or Rothstein before jumping ahead to post-Nucky etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

squonk wrote: »
    The tent thing was why I ended up disappointed. For me, when I saw it, I immediately felt that it was a pointer towards Nucky's future. Here he was with a big bag of money and, while I thought it was a little contrived, it said to me that he'd get out of there OK and I thought it signaled that he'd continue to invest and be successful or end up getting involved in technology in some way. Then the next minute he gets shot. Rather silly IMHO.

I think it was meant to show Nucky's future. The woman told him the inside of the tent is a vision of things to come. Nucky steps inside but it's pitch black and as he says himself, "I don't see anything." The look of confusion on his face when he see the television just highlights how the world has changed and he is no longer a part of it.

I enjoyed the finale, I thought it was a satisfying end. I'll miss BE a lot, it was probably my favorite show of the past 5 years. For a show with such memorable characters, great writing and many tension filled moments, it is a pity more people never watched it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not getting all the hate for the lack of stories for the NY and other mobs forming, the show is Boardwalk Empire, it's about Atlantic City and it's leader, Nucky, any stories should all be tied to him somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Best female character

Boardwalk Empire - Billy Kent's Cinema Audition

Season 3 really had some of the best characters of the series like Billie Kent, Gyp, Owen etc

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm not getting all the hate for the lack of stories for the NY and other mobs forming, the show is Boardwalk Empire, it's about Atlantic City and it's leader, Nucky, any stories should all be tied to him somehow.

I think it's the people who just want to see tommy guns and explosions, Michael Bay fans, ya know. No idea how anyone could watch the show to its conclusion and not actually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭squonk

I think it's the people who just want to see tommy guns and explosions, Michael Bay fans, ya know. No idea how anyone could watch the show to its conclusion and not actually get it.

I think you definitely have it wrong. I like my Michael Bay stuff and I get tht from The Last Ship. There's no danger of a plot deeper than a micron there. The problem with BE was that the interesting stuff started to happen in NY and elsewhere. Atlantic City turned into a backwater in terms of what was going on in the wider view. Add to that meandering characters like Margaret and Gillian in later seasons and it didn't help matters.

squonk wrote: »
    I think you definitely have it wrong. I like my Michael Bay stuff and I get tht from The Last Ship. There's no danger of a plot deeper than a micron there. The problem with BE was that the interesting stuff started to happen in NY and elsewhere. Atlantic City turned into a backwater in terms of what was going on in the wider view. Add to that meandering characters like Margaret and Gillian in later seasons and it didn't help matters.

The show wasn't about great events, it was about specific people.

As others have said plenty of times the show was centered around Atlantic City and Nucky. It was set in interesting times with lots of historical context but complaining that it didn't focus on New York is going too far. You just wanted a different show entirely. That's not what this was.
    It did what it did very well and with a great cast of characters, and I'm glad the show focused on them instead of veering into the big mob scene wholesale, which would have been jumping the shark.

The Michael Bay comment was obviously tongue in cheek, but maybe some documentaries on the 5 families or something would have been more close to home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

ricero wrote: »
    So since its all over who would you all rank as your favourite character ? Mine would be harrow followed closely by nucky and van alden

I loved Bugsy in it this season. What absolute nutcase that guy was. But overall Lucky & Capone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Am I correct in saying that rather than expose a paedophile ring, Nucky in fact chose to facilitate it in order to further his career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

K4t wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that rather than expose a paedophile ring, Nucky in fact chose to facilitate it in order to further his career?

Thats about it i guess

Advertisement