Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I see no reason to see the speculation as disingenuous, in fact the show has basically telegraphed it. The actor playing the kid has a striking resemblance to Michael Pitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Nucky, Eli, Jimmy, The Commodore etc. are all completely fictional. If any or all turn into the sugar plum fairy its fair game.
    Luciano and Capone are predetermined. Its why I knew Van Alden was dead once his hands reached Capone's throat.
    I do think that with the amount being left out of this season - there may be a follow-up. Luciano and Lansky are menacing shadows in the background. They've gone from carriers of bags to their rightful place in history as the makers of the rules. Capone's rise from senior thug to Chicago overlord hasn't been documented. The death of Rothstein ? I'm thinking (hoping) there might be a parallel show on the foundation and rise of the modern US Mafia in development somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'm thinking (hoping) there might be a parallel show on the foundation and rise of the modern US Mafia in development somewhere.

Was done a long time ago, brilliant show. Would love to get my hands on it somewhere but no luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gangster_Chronicles
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081867/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

I don't have any more knowledge than you guys, just pure guessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Roanmore wrote: »
    Was done a long time ago, brilliant show. Would love to get my hands on it somewhere but no luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gangster_Chronicles
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081867/

The immortal Robert Davi - one man you don't need to meet in a dark alley. Still a drama-doc from 1981 isn't what I was thinking of. But definitely along the lines of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Nucky, Eli, Jimmy, The Commodore etc. are all completely fictional.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/boardwalkempire.php

Well, not completely, they have historical inspirations, but the plot of Boardwalk Empire is fiction, it doesn't accurately follow the real life details of those inspirations. It's different enough that anything could happen to Nucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

series 3 of this was epic...with gyp rosetti...in hindsight it set expectations too high for whats come since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I said before that I didn't think much of Season 3, or for Gyp as a villain. Good character and played well, but he was just a psycho and not very bright. How easy he and his crew was disposed of in the end empathises that.

That being said, S3 is probably home to the best scenes such as Owen in a box, Nucky not knowing whether he was being transported to a sanctuary or his death by Chalky and Richard's one man wrecking crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I said before that I didn't think much of Season 3, or for Gyp as a villain. Good character and played well, but he was just a psycho and not very bright. How easy he and his crew was disposed of in the end empathises that.

That being said, S3 is probably home to the best scenes such as Owen in a box, Nucky not knowing whether he was being transported to a sanctuary or his death by Chalky and Richard's one man wrecking crew.

All why Season 3 was epic! :) Plus it took Capone and a gang war to bring him down in the end. Season 3 was definitely the highlight of this show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    All why Season 3 was epic! :) Plus it took Capone and a gang war to bring him down in the end. Season 3 was definitely the highlight of this show

Agreed, Season 3 was probably the peak of the show for me and then it fell away sharply in Season 4. In retrospect the whole Chalky storyline proved to be a boring, most of the time he was on screen throughout the series he just sat there brooding saying nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

very difficult to understand some of the dialect involving Chalky again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Finally caught up on the last two weeks episodes, amazing television is all i can say, the whole thing is building to a what will hopefully be a superb ending, to think people were whining about it being poor is just ridiculous, tv will be far poorer when its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Last weeks episode was fantastic, really looking forward to episode 7. Although my fears of it being rushed to fit into 8 episodes were confirmed, Van Alden's and Chalkies death felt very rushed, especially Van Alden's. His story has been a slow burn for 5 seasons and I was really enjoying his and Eli's double act, it was a bit of light relief in a very dark show. It just felt so sudden after 5 seasons of a build up - I really didn't see it coming.

Did he attack Capone as a suicide mission to save Eli and the undercover fed and to ensure Caline went down? Or was it more of a spur of the moment thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

ncmc wrote: »
    Van Alden's and Chalkies death felt very rushed, especially Van Alden's.

Did he attack Capone as a suicide mission to save Eli and the undercover fed and to ensure Caline went down? Or was it more of a spur of the moment thing?

There's never going to be a build up to a violent death, the surprise will always feel rushed, especially with a character you like and are rooting for. I'd say he just flipped, knew he was dead anyway, and tried to take Capone with him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I don't understand Chalkys death, maybe it was so the mother and daughter wouldnt be harmed but even that was really weak, he should have gone out fighting.

Thargor wrote: »
    I don't understand Chalkys death, maybe it was so the mother and daughter wouldnt be harmed but even that was really weak, he should have gone out fighting.

That was my feeling too. After all Chalkie went through, he went out like a lamb in the end. But maybe that was Chalkies redemption, he saved daughter and her child and in a way that redeemed him for having a part in his own daughters death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

That was my feeling too. After all Chalkie went through, he went out like a lamb in the end. But maybe that was Chalkies redemption, he saved daughter and her child and in a way that redeemed him for having a part in his own daughters death.

I know it isn't directly stated, but didn't the little girl say her mother loved her father, but she had to leave him, suggesting that the little girl is, in fact, Chalky's daughter? I know the mother previously denied it, but the story the little girl told suggests otherwise. Perhaps when Chalky realised this he saw a moment to save them both and make up for the death of his other daughter.

I think it was pretty obvious from the minute he walked into the suite and they showed the girl on the sofa that she was his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Why was he calling the mother daughter when she wasn't in fact his daughter but the singer he apparently knocked up last season .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That was (for some reason) her name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Chalky didn't go out like a lamb at all, he went out in the most heroic way possible...sure he could of went in and killed Narcisse and been blown away by his goons, but instead he sacrificed his vengeance in order to give Daughter and his daughter a chance of a better life.

Can't get more selfless than that imo

But it doesn't make sense, Narcisse wasnt going to let her go, he was obsessed with her and chalky knew that.

Why was he calling the mother daughter when she wasn't in fact his daughter but the singer he apparently knocked up last season .

Narcisse called her daughter, even though she wasn't his daughter. It came out in the last season that she had witnessed Narcisse kill her mother when she was a child and he then raised her. I'm not sure if it was ever made clear whether they had a sexual relationship or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

naughtb4 wrote: »
    That was (for some reason) her name

Narcissis killed her mother before he knew her name and she went by the name 'daughter' as it was what he referred to her as. Really twisted abuse story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That was some song :p
    Another one bites the dust in less than glorious circumstances though (Micky)
    And, despite it all, I actually feel sorry for Gillian after that letter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another superb episode, it really is in top notch form as a show, the acting from the younger Nucky is flawless to the point of creepy. Luciano and Lansky are excellent playing off each other, the one liners and nods and winks are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Did I miss something or did they skip the part where Luciano went to war against Maranzano, and the episode somehow started with the fight already in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just found out young Nucky is played by Young Masbath from Sleepy Hollow. It is great casting.

1 episode left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Mickey was always gonna go from talking too much LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,140 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Episode 6: Was Eli meant to get whacked by the FED on the orders of Capone and Capone's brother? That scene where the FED an Eli leave the building was odd. Also, was the bag that the FED was carrying the ledgers?

Advertisement