Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Possibly stupid question: Capone hasn't been put out of the picture yet right? I might have missed the starting headlines thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

walshb wrote: »
    Episode 6: Was Eli meant to get whacked by the FED on the orders of Capone and Capone's brother? That scene where the FED an Eli leave the building was odd. Also, was the bag that the FED was carrying the ledgers?

Yes but the fed would not have done it cos he's a fed. And yes ironically Capone gave them to him to take them somewhere safe.

Possibly stupid question: Capone hasn't been put out of the picture yet right? I might have missed the starting headlines thing.

No but soon

Its all a bit meh for me to be honest one episode left and I should be excited to see some sort of climax but I just not bothered. The other seasons were way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked this week's episode though it's all looking a bit rushed at this point. Something just doesn't sit right with me though. We have a show that 4 whole seasons show how Nucky is top dog in Atlantic City and goes to great lengths to ensure the status quo then, flash forward a few years, the mob kidnap his nephew and he's pretty much "OK, take it all". It was just too clean. I know he was outgunned but if that was the direction they wanted to go in then I'd have preferred they started later on and used the 4 seasons to get to the point where goes from top dog to finally getting pushed out.

Sorry to see Mickey go <insert silly smirky laugh>. Poor Gillian, she had a pretty terrible life really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes but the fed would not have done it cos he's a fed. And yes ironically Capone gave them to him to take them somewhere safe.

Thanks. I was certain this was the case but it just happened so smoothly I thought that maybe I missed something. Anyone else feel that subtitles would be real helpful this season. I am finding a lot of the dialogue very sketchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

squonk wrote: »
    I liked this week's episode though it's all looking a bit rushed at this point. Something just doesn't sit right with me though. We have a show that 4 whole seasons show how Nucky is top dog in Atlantic City and goes to great lengths to ensure the status quo then, flash forward a few years, the mob kidnap his nephew and he's pretty much "OK, take it all". It was just too clean. I know he was outgunned but if that was the direction they wanted to go in then I'd have preferred they started later on and used the 4 seasons to get to the point where goes from top dog to finally getting pushed out.

Sorry to see Mickey go <insert silly smirky laugh>. Poor Gillian, she had a pretty terrible life really.

Yes, I thought the same, unless he planned to give it all away (had prepared to give it up). I always over think Boardwalk, mostly because everything had a consequence in most of the earlier season (not this one it seems). What is the Mayflower he is buying into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yes, I thought the same, unless he planned to give it all away (had prepared to give it up). I always over think Boardwalk, mostly because everything had a consequence in most of the earlier season (not this one it seems). What is the Mayflower he is buying into?

I thought he just realised he's done. He can't fight the whole mob and even though in the past he could cut a deal he knows they wont deal with someone who is not Italian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought he had all his money put into the stock exchange so giving away his criminal pieces wouldn't have a massive impact on him, I might be reading too much into it, but he finished his bottle of Bacardi at the start of the episode and told the boy at the end to take away all the booze, considering he had exclusive rights to Bacardi I figured he was giving that away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I thought he just realised he's done. He can't fight the whole mob and even though in the past he could cut a deal he knows they wont deal with someone who is not Italian.

Fair enough but what was the point of the show then? Starting out it was based on the life of a bootlegger in prohibition times who gets to the top of his game through being smart and ruthless but who's also a pretty good guy when he can be.

Fast forward a few years and the series is now about the rise of the mob. The main character of the series then just rolls over when presented with mob pressure. Now all that's left is a few loose ends from his life to tie up after the mob have killed off the main players from his crew and the rest are on shaky ground.

I'd prefer if they'd sat down day one and planned 2 shows.

Show 1: Boardwalk Empire. The rise of a bootlegger from lackey to top dog. Along the way he starts to encounter the changes in the Italian gangsters he's working with, seeing them go from disparate street gangs to more organized criminals who you could still forge alliances with.

Show 2: Mafia Empire. A show with a primary focus on one of two future Mafia kingpins. Early on we get to see how they are building for countrywide domination, pushing out local kingpins, among them our old friend Nucky Thompson who, after a few bits of ducking and diving, gets shoved out towards the end of the first season, along with his crew. Basically what's happening now. They could then take the show onwards into the 30's and maybe 40's too if they wanted.

If they'd decided on this approach day 1 then I think we'd be in the midst of something that was epic. Now all we've got is Boardwalk Empire which I think we'll look back on as a show having many fine points but which, ultimately, was a failure due to not having the time or space to really fulfill it's premise, resulting in a very chaotic and rushed end which seems less than fulfilling.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but what was the point of the show then? Starting out it was based on the life of a bootlegger in prohibition times who gets to the top of his game through being smart and ruthless but who's also a pretty good guy when he can be.

Fast forward a few years and the series is now about the rise of the mob. The main character of the series then just rolls over when presented with mob pressure. Now all that's left is a few loose ends from his life to tie up after the mob have killed off the main players from his crew and the rest are on shaky ground.

Show 1: Boardwalk Empire. The rise of a bootlegger from lackey to top dog. Along the way he starts to encounter the changes in the Italian gangsters he's working with, seeing them go from disparate street gangs to more organized criminals who you could still forge alliances with.

Show 2: Mafia Empire. A show with a primary focus on one of two future Mafia kingpins. Early on we get to see how they are building for countrywide domination, pushing out local kingpins, among them our old friend Nucky Thompson who, after a few bits of ducking and diving, gets shoved out towards the end of the first season, along with his crew. Basically what's happening now. They could then take the show onwards into the 30's and maybe 40's too if they wanted.

If they'd decided on this approach day 1 then I think we'd be in the midst of something that was epic. Now all we've got is Boardwalk Empire which I think we'll look back on as a show having many fine points but which, ultimately, was a failure due to not having the time or space to really fulfill it's premise, resulting in a very chaotic and rushed end which seems less than fulfilling.

Its based on true events so I think they are sticking with dates people die etc as well as adding a few details and characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Great episode! The Gillian aspect was a real kick in the teeth there at the end. I'm enjoying this a lot. With regard to Nucky giving up Atlantic City, he's clearly leaving a sinking ship, even if he rues having to do so.

The whole season is focusing on a shift toward legitimacy and organization, criminal and otherwise. The times have changed and he knows it. He was aiming for legitimacy himself with the Bacardi deal and you could see him trying to adapt to an emerging order. I think he'll do pretty well with Margarets help.

I'm still inclined to think that the kid is Jimmy's, he may not be, but then he has some of the focus on screen and there isn't an ounce of fat in these episodes.

I have a terrible feeling Gillian is going to be lobotomized before any intervention by Nucky can take place. Whether he'll live or die is difficult to call now. Really a lot could conceivably happen.

A well crafted story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Completely agree with this - great post.

The problem is, as you say, that the entire focus of the show shifted halfway through its run with the result being that the original story is being rushed with loose-ends and established characters being killed off (or otherwise given "closure") and the rise of the Mafia being cut short just as it's getting interesting.

I don't know if this is because of the historical constraints, the show being cancelled, or the portrayal of Capone and others being too good/popular with the fans but the net result is that both sides of the story are ending in a very unsatisfactory manner.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Its based on true events so I think they are sticking with dates people die etc as well as adding a few details and characters.

This is part of the problem IMO, If it was completely fictional the writers would have more freedom, Its no cocoincidence that its all the fictional characters being killed off. These are also the more likable personalities.

Somewhere along the way I lost nucky, I'm not sure if he was crowded out by all the other storylines or if maybe he's just not that interesting. I was hoping he would get the better of lucky and his douches just not that much.

PS: how did they f up the hostage switch so bad surely after so many years in the game they would have organised that a lot better.

This is part of the problem IMO, If it was completely fictional the writers would have more freedom, Its no cocoincidence that its all the fictional characters being killed off. These are also the more likable personalities.

Somewhere along the way I lost nucky, I'm not sure if he was crowded out by all the other storylines or if maybe he's just not that interesting. I was hoping he would get the better of lucky and his douches just not that much.

PS: how did they f up the hostage switch so bad surely after so many years in the game they would have organised that a lot better.

One thing the character is based on was that he always kept his word. Them screwing them over in the exchange might come back to bit them in the ass. He also just gave away the club before the meeting which was very odd. They could be building up to this:
    Clareman wrote: »
    I thought he had all his money put into the stock exchange so giving away his criminal pieces wouldn't have a massive impact on him, I might be reading too much into it, but he finished his bottle of Bacardi at the start of the episode and told the boy at the end to take away all the booze, considering he had exclusive rights to Bacardi I figured he was giving that away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its not just a bit of pressure, its the entire Mafia wanting him dead/gone. Hes fought off pressure plenty of times in the previous years. The show youre looking for is a 20s version of Sopranos. The show is about Nucky, hes the main character, it has shown his good side and his flawed bad side, this is what has led him to where we are now. Cant see how this is anything but superb tv.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The show is about Nucky, hes the main character, it has shown his good side and his flawed bad side, this is what has led him to where we are now. Cant see how this is anything but superb tv.
    Exactly. The show is called 'Boardwalk Empire' because it's about Nucky's boardwalk empire. It's not called 'Gangs', it's not 'Rise of the Mobsters', it's not 'Prohibition Wars', it's 'Boardwalk Empire'. The other criminals that have been brought in broaden it but ultimately they're there to show their actions and the like affect the world of Nucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It was always destined to end this way for Nucky. Since Luciano was introduced as a walk-on part way way back, the whole fate of Nucky was predetermined. This was what happened to minor potentates of the 1920s. They either got legitimate and out (like Joe Kennedy) or fell to the modern Mafia. Nucky was happy with Atlantic city Capone psychotic and careless with Chicago.
    Historical spoilers follow:
    Luciano / Lansky wanted it all. And they got it - Hoover went to his grave denying the existence of the Mafia (loyal servants will do that). Luciano codded his way out of a lengthy jail stretch into luxurious exile by negotiating an alliance between the Italian mob and the invading US troops in WW2. These guys planned big and the likes of Atlantic city was a crumb from the table as demonstrated in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

It really is a pity that this final season isn't 12 episodes, it just all seems a little rushed now to reach a conclusion, for example lansky and luciano have gone from being young criminals trying to make it to absolute kingpins in no time at all.

But anyway, there's defintley a sting in the tail yet and there's no way nucky is willing to give everything away so easily. He seems pretty down in the dumps now but I think he'll pull out some stroke yet.

The young kid I think has no significance to the story, he's just there to mirror young deputy nucky. We see the kid is willing to do anything for nucky to try get ahead, just like the young nucky was for the commodore. There's also parrallels in the way they turn down money they are offered. But we see nucky telling him to reject that lifestyle and get an honest job instead, mirroring his own regret at not doing this.

It's going to be a horrible scene next week when we see the young Gillian being brought to the commodore. Still can't wait for next week though, just to see how they wrap in all up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Next week I'm guessing ...yes the sacrifice of Gillian to the commodore (and with it Nucky's soul) and possibly her rescue. A cert is the first meeting of the Commission and the proposed creation of the five families. Nucky might be granted a retirement reprieve to Cuba to live happily ever after with Gillian but something makes me doubt this ends happily.
    A rewatch of the entire thing is already on the cards for the Xmas season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I think it's been superb so far. This show has always been about nucky with sprinklings of other characters that add colour to the show. Seeing as this final season is based 7 years after the finish of the previous season alot has changed. The character development of luciano and meyer needn't happen because it already has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Warm up until tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Really wish I knew the best way to watch this live.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Really wish I knew the best way to watch this live.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

well that was powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

That was absolutely brilliant, maybe a bit foreseen but nonetheless great tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The Darmodys, they have to be one of the most unfortunate families in fictional history. Hearing Tommy utter that loaded word 'me-ma' gave me chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What a great closing episode for a great show. Will badly miss this show, but look forward to watching it all again over the Christmas! The scene with Al and his son was a highlight, so powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great show, great finish, all tied up nicely !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Only one way it was going to end for Nucky, Could see it coming when the
    Kid
    appeared on the scene. Will miss the show

Advertisement