Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

That tug on the suit jacket by Chalky... After so long watching those characters it's really the small details like that which give a scene that punch to the gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Best spisode of the season so far but a fairly gutting one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

NOOOO!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Great episode, Narcisse was the possible highlight for me. Undeneath the mannerly pretense is a horribly bitter and twisted man, Wright does so well in the role.

I really wasn't paying attention. What happened between Chalky and Narcisse? I thought Chalky was going to work for him then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I thought Chalky was going to work for him then...

Ah, the innocence of youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I really wasn't paying attention. What happened between Chalky and Narcisse? I thought Chalky was going to work for him then...

It was a bit too subtle for me as well - Chalky somehow arrived at the conclusion that Narcisse would let Daughter go back on stage if Chalky agreed to work for Narcisse. Daughter understood the same thing as soon as Chalky mentioned something about a bargain. Chalky and Narcisse both understood that Narcisse was going to kill Chalky anyway. A lot of mind reading going on, unless I missed a couple of lines of crucial dialogue.

It was a bit too subtle for me as well - Chalky somehow arrived at the conclusion that Narcisse would let Daughter go back on stage if Chalky agreed to work for Narcisse. Daughter understood the same thing as soon as Chalky mentioned something about a bargain. Chalky and Narcisse both understood that Narcisse was going to kill Chalky anyway. A lot of mind reading going on, unless I missed a couple of lines of crucial dialogue.

Subtlety was definitely lost on me. I was so tired that I missed half the dialogue. I'll have to watch it again. Chalky working for him didn't make any sense at all anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Chalky always let himself get talked around. I was hoping for something more out of character. He did it so N wouldn't have power over her anymore. Wouldn't killing him have gone a way toward that. There were still the goons outside the door but all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I believed initially that Narcisse was genuine in wanting Chalky to work with him. But when you think about it, Narcisse already has the muscle, and while Chalky has brains, in Narcisse's mind, there's only one mind needed to control things: his. Thus, he had no need for Chalky.

You have to remember too that it had gotten deeply personal between both men last season, and hated each other equally. Co-existing was never on the table, using hindsight of course.

It just shows how much of a horrible fcuk Narcisse is, as he knew he had Chalky by the balls the second he spotted him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

There were still the goons outside the door but all the same.

If Chalky killed Narcisse, the goons wouldn't just kill him, they may have killed his daughter and granddaughter as well. If it was just suicide he would have killed him and gone down in a blaze of glory, but with his family there he had to get them out safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Wha "daughter and granddaughter",
    I think you mean old lover and daughter

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That was awesome.

Chalky went out a hero allowing the daughter and his child to be liberated.
    Van Alden letting out his bottled up rage at Al before being dis-eyed was brilliant to see.

I think some of the questions about why Gillian is being maintained are answered now, we got to meet the younger her (him) in this episode. I believe the flashbacks are leading up to when Nucky took some sort of big step to get into a position of power, and it involves her.
    And the show will end up having some sort of juxtaposition of this in the final scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I don't want this to end! Plenty of bloodshed in the final 2 episodes I'd imagine.

That was a disappointing end to Van Alden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think some of the questions about why Gillian is being maintained are answered now, we got to meet the younger her (him) in this episode. I believe the flashbacks are leading up to when Nucky took some sort of big step to get into a position of power, and it involves her.
    The Commodore is a paedophile. Under orders Nucky brought the 13 year old Gillian to his boss who raped her. This is how Jimmy Darmody, who Nucky murdered, was conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nuckys wife is really really irritating in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Nuckys wife is really really irritating in it

She's only in a scene for about 2 minutes in the last episode. I thought she was okay, played her part well?

In fact the more I think of it she kind of reminds me of his lover Billie Kent from season 3. Maybe she reminded him of his wife?

She's only in a scene for about 2 minutes in the last episode. I thought she was okay, played her part well?

Was more the previous week, she just irritated/grates me for some reason and was very uppity and entitled. Its not the actress, more the part they have her play.

Really shaping up to be an action packed two episodes. Any one know what the point fo the Nucky (old) scenes this week were?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Commodore is a paedophile. Under orders Nucky brought the 13 year old Gillian to his boss who raped her. This is how Jimmy Darmody, who Nucky murdered, was conceived.

Yep, aware of that, I just suspect there is something else in the relationship between Nucky and Gillian that we dont know of, that will be something tied to the ending of the show......this is all just guesswork and speculation

• Advertisement

Yep, aware of that, I just suspect there is something else in the relationship between Nucky and Gillian that we dont know of, that will be something tied to the ending of the show......this is all just guesswork and speculation

Could he be Jimmy real father?

Could he be Jimmy real father?

Nah, dont think so. I think it's more a case of Nucky is winding down is business, and is reflecting on how he got recognised by the Commodore. In a recent flashback he is talking to Mable about how he doesn't even address Nucky. I'm sure bringing Gillian to the Commodore, and something else, had a big impact on him being reconised and make his jump from Deputy Sherrif.

There are some similarities to the other young guy that found Nucky has working for him that was refusing to take the money, to Nucky's own past.

So I'm guessing that Gillian will have some sort of impact....perhaps giving her to Luciano or something of that nature.

Nah, dont think so. I think it's more a case of Nucky is winding down is business, and is reflecting on how he got recognised by the Commodore. In a recent flashback he is talking to Mable about how he doesn't even address Nucky. I'm sure bringing Gillian to the Commodore, and something else, had a big impact on him being reconised and make his jump from Deputy Sherrif.

There are some similarities to the other young guy that found Nucky has working for him that was refusing to take the money, to Nucky's own past.

So I'm guessing that Gillian will have some sort of impact....perhaps giving her to Luciano or something of that nature.

I had forgotten about them getting together actually, good point. What Lucky would want with Gillian, I dont know however

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reece289

Nucky's wife and child dying will be important, maybe the stage where he gave up Gillian?

Huge now. Perhaps the fact we knew what happening to capone and lucky removed some of the top level stuff we saw and felt with the wire and the Sopranos. Certainly coming home now through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Someone here said the young lad will be Jimmy's kid. I think that's most likely at this stage. I think he might pop Nucky and then they'll tie it in with Gillian. Sins of the past and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Someone here said the young lad will be Jimmy's kid. I think that's most likely at this stage. I think he might pop Nucky and then they'll tie it in with Gillian. Sins of the past and all that.
    Ah ffs that's a kind of thing that should be spoilered.

Ah ffs that's a kind of thing that should be spoilered.

Why its all speculation? Good speculation at that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why its all speculation? Good speculation at that...
    Exactly. I only want to hear bad speculation that has no chance of being accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There is speculation and then there is "speculation".

You know the type, read up on spoilers and then "guess" the outcome. It's rampant in the Game of Thrones forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Kirby wrote: »
    You know the type, read up on spoilers and then "guess" the outcome. It's rampant in the Game of Thrones forum.

There's a book for that. Where are they going to get Boardwalk Empire spoilers? Sure, they can get spoiled on historical figures like Capone, but central characters like Nucky are so heavily fictionaliized that even if they are loosely based on someone their story has diverged far too much at this point for history to tell us how things will go.

Advertisement