Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Technofobe wrote: »
    RTE 1 is the default startup channel
    Did the sat stations work
    and did you try retune to your local saorview transmitter ?
    Cheers

Of the four images I tried one worked but wouldn't get rid of non free to Air. Two froze on opening channel and one wouldn't go beyond 0% searching when trying to return saorview but had satellite fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Of the four images I tried one worked but wouldn't get rid of non free to Air. Two froze on opening channel and one wouldn't go beyond 0% searching when trying to return saorview but had satellite fine
    Was not your day
    I have a completley default hyper4 from pkteam site with nothing at all done to it rather than a back up from another system
    Let me know if you want it and I can post it here but you have probably had enough for 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Balmed out,
    What I found was when you first load an image if the channel it starts on cant be viewed the box will be slow reacting to presses of the remote.
    I usually try BBC1 or some of them because the saorview ones could be on a different transmitter on the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JORY

Balmed Out wrote: »

I have the same issues as you describe, with two new AA2+ boxes - terrestrial tune issue 0% with most images.
    However all images work perfectly on my AA box.

The only image that I found to work successfully so far as regards to terrestrial tune on the two new AA2+ boxes is Open A TV 4.2.

Does anybody know if there has been some internal hardware/ firmware changes in new AA2+ boxes that is causing the terrestrial tune issue in most Enigma 2 images?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

seeems to be a new update hyperion 4 image on pkteam website as its up and running again.many new bug fixes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

seeems to be a new update hyperion 4 image on pkteam website as its up and running again.many new bug fixes

Not for the aa2/sab/gmt boxes though as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Just purchased this set with enigma preloaded
    Please say it'll just work from the box?

An awful lot of v technical stuff here on this thread Im finding scary since I decided to purchase one.........heres hoping I wont regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

youngblood wrote: »

An awful lot of v technical stuff here on this thread Im finding scary since I decided to purchase one.........heres hoping I wont regret it!

Look, if you just use the box in Spark and nothing else it is a great box and worth every penny. A lot of posts complaining about enigma2 not working with this image and that image is giving the Amiko a bad name. I use enigma2 and it works fine for me and if you just want to watch tv Spark is great too. Picture quality is excellent and you have three tuners so you watch satellite and record satellite and you record terrestrial and watch satellite! I love the box.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Cheers for that, great to know
    Box is coming with Enigma2 preloaded-Should I ask them just to leave it at Spark???
    This image and that image is what scares me!
    Should I purchase wifi dongle? Cable won't reach back of box

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Box is coming with Enigma2 preloaded-Should I ask them just to leave it at Spark???

its dual boot you can switch between the 2

wifi dongles work fine with a strong signal or buy a longer ethernet cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 JORY

I would recommend home plugs (twin sets), 200mbps.
    Connect one plug beside your router and the other plug beside the sat box, the plugs transmits and receives Ethernet over your ac power line.

Simple install - just push a button on each plug to pair.

A TP-Link Twin set costs €30 approx., the kit comes with two home plugs and two cat5e cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

JORY wrote: »
    I have the same issues as you describe, with two new AA2+ boxes - terrestrial tune issue 0% with most images.
    However all images work perfectly on my AA box.

The only image that I found to work successfully so far as regards to terrestrial tune on the two new AA2+ boxes is Open A TV 4.2.

Does anybody know if there has been some internal hardware/ firmware changes in new AA2+ boxes that is causing the terrestrial tune issue in most Enigma 2 images?

Went back to an open atv 4.2 and got that going so wasnt me doing something wrong at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

Bit of a noob question. How difficult is it to set up an image from a default image? Does it take long? I am considering doing it.

Q1. Am I going to have to box off an evening to do?

Q2. After flashing the image, are the main steps retuning and installing epg, bouqets and other desired plugins?

Q3. Is there a lot of FTP'ing files?

Q4. Is the whole process more pain than its worth?

Any help/advise much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

topper1978 wrote: »
    How difficult is it to set up an image from a default image? Does it take long?

I admire your initiative to learn how to set up your own image. Anyone who does this is far better able to fix their box when something goes wrong.

If you are new to the process however then there is little chance you will get an image set up from scratch with all the plugins working in one evening. Especially since there isn't a step by step guide that covers everything.

You could install the default image, get the box on your network and clear all the junk channels that may be stored in it then scan your own Sat and Saorview channels. Then load those channels into DreamBoxEdit to create your own bouquets and save it back to your box. Then you could learn how picons work and you could use Rats Bouquets and Picons to help you. Use FileZilla to browse the directory structure of your image to get a feel for what goes where.

If you get that far in one night that would be good going.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone got an issue with streaming from fresh pots open atv image working? Is default port 8001? I can't see where it is I n this image
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 coughlt

Had some issues on my first out of the box experience running the OPEN ATV image. Played around with a few images before settling on Hyperion 4. This IMO is an excellent image for the Alien2. Its wife and kids solid! Go with Hyperion 4 and you'll forget you ever owned a sly box....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Hi Guys,
    Is it possible to use 2x amiko alien boxes and 1xNAS to store all recordings (from both boxes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

hi guys have 2 of these wonderfull boxes.how many could a household have.wifi is a steady 30mbps even with 2 boxes on and tablets laptops etc.thinking of getting 1 for another bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

hi guys have 2 of these wonderfull boxes.how many could a household have.wifi is a steady 30mbps even with 2 boxes on and tablets laptops etc.thinking of getting 1 for another bedroom

You might be limited by the number of outputs on your LNB.

I can't comment on the wifi end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone got an issue with streaming from fresh pots open atv image working? Is default port 8001? I can't see where it is I n this image
    Thanks

Bump: anyone? I can stream to my phone but cannot get raspberry pi to connect.worked on hyp4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

coughlt wrote: »
    Had some issues on my first out of the box experience running the OPEN ATV image. Played around with a few images before settling on Hyperion 4. This IMO is an excellent image for the Alien2. Its wife and kids solid! Go with Hyperion 4 and you'll forget you ever owned a sly box....

Have you got a link to that image? I got a box last week with enigma on it, and I find it a bit unwieldy (and I'm the kind of guy that messes around with custom roms on android and dabbles with raspberry pi!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 coughlt

Mr E wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that image? I got a box last week with enigma on it, and I find it a bit unwieldy (and I'm the kind of guy that messes around with custom roms on android and dabbles with raspberry pi!)

File resource link
    dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACtiW-BDsbi0cckTxIzJEJJa

Specific Hyperion 4 Link
    dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACHc0q5CHWL1_VmcgM0YMaEa/Hyperion%204%20%20Backup%20Sep%202014?dl=0

You should try all the images. Hyperion might not suit you. Its fine for what I need and its stable. Found open ATV to be good but not 'house' friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nyquistic

Has anybody had a problem whereby the box no longer responds to remote control? This happened after a crash in OpenATV and even booting back into Spark doesn't help -- it seems like a hardware error. I tested the remote control handset itself and it works perfectly on another box.

I wonder is there some way to completely reset the front panel controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I post this just in the interest of helping someone else with this issue.

When I started using Enigma I had many hangs and tried multiple images (mostly hyperion4 based). The hang/freeze/crash would always happen when I was trying to forward through adds. The box was still alive and I could telnet to it and login, but I had to reboot.

Now, I've been crash free for about 6 weeks with the same image, and the issue reminds me of the joke about telling the doctor that it hurts when I do this, to which the answer is, stop doing that.

I had found the number pad 30sec/1min/5min forwards very useful, and my usual method was pause... then click number. I've now stopped that. I only use the numbers when the box is playing, never when paused. Since I started doing this I've had no crashes, so I have to conclude this was the reason, possibly with some other unknown factor related to me. Maybe other people were not doing the pause/forward.

Anyhow, there you go.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

coughlt wrote: »
    File resource link
    dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACtiW-BDsbi0cckTxIzJEJJa

Specific Hyperion 4 Link
    dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACHc0q5CHWL1_VmcgM0YMaEa/Hyperion%204%20%20Backup%20Sep%202014?dl=0

You should try all the images. Hyperion might not suit you. Its fine for what I need and its stable. Found open ATV to be good but not 'house' friendly!

Is this an image from someone on here or elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

A thread about who is using what image would be handy, since so many are giving bother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

A thread about who is using what image would be handy, since so many are giving bother.

i thought the Machine knows everything !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Last night my Alien2 triple lost picture.

After rebooting it is now stuck on 00:00 boot and goes no further.

Can't even switch back to Spark.

Any pointers on how to fix this ?

Thanks

A

EDIT: Tried it again a little while ago and it came on to 00:00 boot. I continued to hold the power buttton while it was powering up and it came back to life. Baffling .... but ok ! it's working again.

Could it be that the USB hard drive was disconected ?
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Here is my latest backup for anyone interested. After installation make sure you hdd or usb stick is formated in EXT3

It has all the usuals including ondemand with tv3 and rte player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmc4vt3i8xqm6mh/back_of_e2%20%28Laptop%27s%20conflicted%20copy%202014-11-06%29.zip?dl=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

givecredit wrote: »
    Here is my latest backup for anyone interested. After installation make sure you hdd or usb stick is formated in EXT3

It has all the usuals including ondemand with tv3 and rte player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmc4vt3i8xqm6mh/back_of_e2%20%28Laptop%27s%20conflicted%20copy%202014-11-06%29.zip?dl=0

What image is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement