Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick or treaters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

ALiasEX wrote: »
    You'll still need sweets for the americans though.

Or toy guns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have 40 little bags of mixed sweets (lollies and jellies etc) but I don't know how many to hand out to each trick-or-treater.
    If I give one each, I'll probably be left with lots of bags, and if I give out too many, I'll have none left for the other trick-or-treaters.
    I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be left with any...they're horrible sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'm excited!! I lived in the countryside, no street lights, no paths etc. so we never got any trick or treaters. Then my boyfriend's place was on one of those estates where all the kids have grown up, so none there either! Now, we live in an apartment block with kids on either side...I can't wait! Going out to the shop soon to buy lots of sweets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Don't know what to expact myself at home as the mother allways does up bags for the kids and last year and I am not sure but the year before that was also very quite with kids calling. Where I live they call early anyway so everyone is before 7pm.

So I will be playing the waiting game myself this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With the austerity are we talking cut bin bags and cheap masks this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 the phantom worker

Step 1: shove wooden stick into full, raw onion. Coat in melted chocolate and leave to set in the fridge.

Step 2: When they little buggers call around, nonchalantly pop it in their bag/bucket and say "enjoy your chocolate apple".

Step 3: Go to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

With the austerity are we talking cut bin bags and cheap masks this year?

Can't beat the classic binbag look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Maybe dont answer the door?

I wouldn't advise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wouldn't advise that.

I've never encountered any problems when I don't answer the door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I really want to relax tonight,, worn out after a busy week, plus my cat is scared of the doorbell :o. I'm taking the battery out of the doorbell and am going to put my feet up with a few beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I can never escape the trick or treaters. Get 25-30 easily. We have a mini jack russell my sister dresses up every year to take on a walk to her friends, the kids love seeing her so always knock until the get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I love the children coming round, I have carved a turnip same as we did when we were children the only thing is the tea light inside it wont stay lit as it a bit windy out on the porch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This is always a good evening for a nice meal out, get home about 10, everyone's sodded off at that point. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have 40 little bags of mixed sweets (lollies and jellies etc) but I don't know how many to hand out to each trick-or-treater.
    If I give one each, I'll probably be left with lots of bags, and if I give out too many, I'll have none left for the other trick-or-treaters.
    I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be left with any...they're horrible sweets.

One bag each

If you've any left over keep them for next year's kids :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Old lady where we grew up used to shout 'trick' and throw rotten fruit at us when we called to her door. She was mad as a bat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am working until 9ish, then coming back home, putting on my pope costume and off to halloween party. Hopefully I will be able to dodge all the kids during the little time I will be still at home tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've never encountered any problems when I don't answer the door

We have yet to meet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

nomnomnomnom....so anyway

Only 24 hours until the hoards of little brats come calling for their free food. *doorbell every 30 seconds*

Any novel suggestions as to the best way to handle the mobs of starving street children? Making their evening as unbearable as they do for us perhaps.

:cool:

The nerve of these children, doing things that we all did when we were their ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Always felt sorry for the poor sh!ts that came to our house. We're all students living in a 70% student estate....the other 30% have kids getting pot noodles, pizza sauces and leftover cans :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do you bring your kids trick or treating?

I'm 18 now so just go to a party or something, hate Halloween. I miss it from when I was a kid.

Had one caller all ready, it's a bit early to atart, but the weather isn't looking great here so hopefully feck all come so there is plenty of leftovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was never allowed by my parent to go trick and treating. I wouldn't be home very long this evening and will not be answering the door when I am there as I don't want to be running up and down the stairs to answer the door while getting ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I'm watching tv "testing" the sweets for the trick or treaters later... Can never be too careful after all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'll be home soon and I, too, will be testing the sweets. Hopefully, it'll be awful weather all evening so I can fully test them.

The giving sweets job always falls on me. I'm not too keen on it, I never know what to say to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I don't see any problem with it tbh, I always went around as a kid and my mam always loved when kids called (long after I'd grown out of it).

I don't get why some people are such sad sacks about it- cheapo euro shop sweets are all anyone gets anyway. It's all over by 7pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Every one on AH love urban myths, I heard this one last year, a small expensive housing estate happened to be built within walking distance of a large estate of social housing,... so one year a bunch of children call to one of the big expensive houses and the occupants having no sweets ect give them money, now the amount varies form 20 to 50 euro depending on who is telling the story, word gets round and this brings swarms of children in to the estate and there is nearly a riot, the next year the residents committee in the large expensive houses hire security gauds to keep the children from the social housing from coming in to the estate on Halloween night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

mariaalice wrote: »
    Every one on AH love urban myths, I heard this one last year, a small expensive housing estate happened to be built within walking distance of a large estate of social housing,... so one year a bunch of children call to one of the big expensive houses and the occupants having no sweets ect give them money, now the amount varies form 20 to 50 euro depending on who is telling the story, word gets round and this bring swarm of children in to the estate and there is nearly a riot, the next year the residents committee in the large expensive houses hire security gauds to keep the children from the social housing from coming in to the estate on Halloween night.

Ahh there are always rumours, nobody would be stupid enough to give away cash to everyone, especially the more well off. From collecting door-to-door for charity, it's actually the people in social housing who give more money to strangers,the more well off seem to be more sceptical about who they give money to(probably how they got rich in the first place :rolleyes: )

And there was always the rumour that some creep gave our chewing gum with blades in them....never stopped us... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I don't see any problem with it tbh, I always went around as a kid and my mam always loved when kids called (long after I'd grown out of it).

I don't get why some people are such sad sacks about it- cheapo euro shop sweets are all anyone gets anyway. It's all over by 7pm!

Especially when you consider how much money is spent in household overs Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't answer the door any night of the year so I won't do it for Halloween, especially so I can hear some crap poem over and over again.

Just spent 15 euro buying sweets in lidl for trick n treaters. I have made up 24 little bags (clingfilm wraps to be precise).

Well, the doorbell has just rang for the first of many times tonight and there were seven ankle biters outside. SEVEN!!!

I'm down to 17 clingfilm wraps already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Just spent 15 euro buying sweets in lidl for trick n treaters. I have made up 24 little bags (clingfilm wraps to be precise).

Well, the doorbell has just rang for the first of many times tonight and there were seven ankle biters outside. SEVEN!!!

I'm down to 17 clingfilm wraps already.

turn the lights off and hide

Advertisement