Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick or treaters

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive only got 5 different types of cheese, beef jerky, pistachios and beer.

Unappreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had lots of callers tonight.

This one youngfella, about eight or nine, in a black hoody with a schoolbag on back-to-front, called. Gave him sweets.
    Ten minutes later, he returned with his hood on.
    I gave him sweets....not realising...and he took his hood down and said "Hah I called to you a few minutes ago and I got double sweets!"

He called back half an hour later and I told him to eff off.
    All in all, a successful evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Barely any fireworks going off this year too which is a surprise as I live in a big town with big housing estates, we also haven't been allowed bonfires here for years either so at this stage Halloween is dead here!

Is that Missouri or Kansas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

fussyonion wrote: »
    I had lots of callers tonight.

This one youngfella, about eight or nine, in a black hoody with a schoolbag on back-to-front, called. Gave him sweets.
    Ten minutes later, he returned with his hood on.
    I gave him sweets....not realising...and he took his hood down and said "Hah I called to you a few minutes ago and I got double sweets!"

He called back half an hour later and I told him to eff off.
    All in all, a successful evening!

Cursing at hungry children is a successful evening? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Anyone else noticed how much less there was this year? Even just 5 years ago the streets and estates would have packs of kids and parents walking door to door but this year the bell only rang 5 times.

Those little sh!ts don't want free sweets anymore? Out for the birds they'll go, so. Always wanted to see what crows are like with sugar rushes.

What next? Kids claiming Santa isn't real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sadly, you (and everyone else with the same idea) would have to get past the gated security. :p

My friend hated living there. She just couldn't keep up with the lifestyle. Her hubbys job paid for the rent on the house, but they had to pay for everything else. The pressure to keep up with the Jones was immense. She was thrilled when he was transferred to St Louis & they got to live where she could do a more normal Halloween.

I'm at the stage of reaching for the shotgun, three in the morning and still letting off fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Don't be like that.
    They are only children.
    You were once one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Don't be like that.
    They are only children.
    You were once one of them.

I'm not actually mad lol, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Noticed the reduced number of kids myself too.
    Years ago... up until maybe 6-8 years ago ... the door would be knocked on every 5 minutes between 5pm and 9pm.

Sorry if I come off as over-thinking this :P But I think it is all down to society changing. Like letting your son or daughter knock on a strangers door to recieve random candy. In todays world there is just an element of fear for parents. You can't blame them too. That's the messed up aspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not one this year, despite loads last year. And I had me strides on answerin the door last year too, so theres no real reason I can think of for being avoided this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Macavity. wrote: »
    They think you're a big pedo.

Hardly.

Medium sized at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Alot of kids are going to parties instead, in limerick all the tons of fun places are doing parties, kids go bonkers for three hours, load up on sweets, get face painted, fall asleep in car on way home or are so knackered theyll sit on couch and watch a mickey mouse Halloween film or frozen or whatever until they do. Job done!
    I prefer it this way, kids aren't chomping on bag loads of sweets, they are getting loads of exercise, out of the ****e weather, no worrying if some axehole is going to come at them with fireworks or eggs.
    Its what we did this year, no stress. We still got trick or treaters from 6pm till about 830pm but not a huge amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I live in a rural area where the houses are spaced out. I know my neighbours who have kids, bring them in to the estates in town, miles away. Boy, am I grateful for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

We only got four groups last night, maybe twelve kids in total. I didn't get home until close to 6.30, maybe the younger kids go out earlier than that? It had been dark for quite a while at that stage. Also the fact that it was cold and raining obviously didn't help. We've a load of little goody-bags here and nothing to do with them.

Honestly I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with my own son doing trick-or-treating when he's old enough (even though I used to love it as a child!) whatdoicare's plan sounds perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Alot of kids are going to parties instead, in limerick all the tons of fun places are doing parties, kids go bonkers for three hours, load up on sweets, get face painted, fall asleep in car on way home or are so knackered theyll sit on couch and watch a mickey mouse Halloween film or frozen or whatever until they do. Job done!
    I prefer it this way, kids aren't chomping on bag loads of sweets, they are getting loads of exercise, out of the ****e weather, no worrying if some axehole is going to come at them with fireworks or eggs.
    Its what we did this year, no stress. We still got trick or treaters from 6pm till about 830pm but not a huge amount.

We had both last night. The kids started arriving at 5.30 until 7ish, earlier than usual as there was a big kids event on from 6 til late, so they went trick or treating and then went to the party/disco. I've never seen so many cars parked out the front. Really lazy on the part of the parents to be driving them around the estates for sweets and then driving them to an event. Part of the fun when we were kids was going trick or treating with your friends.:)

Advertisement