Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick or treaters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Hitchens

c'mon, they're kids ffs....................we all did it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

We had trick or treater's last week for some reason. And the week before. Weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I wish I was going trick or treating. :( All them sweeties. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Me girlfriend bought stuff to give out to any of them that knock ill leave her to it! :pac:

Theres about twenty Indian kids living next door balls of bread soaked in chilli powder should do them!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ElleEm wrote: »
    We usually don't answer the door, but this year we moved, so said we would start a new tradition by being friendly and nice and give sweets to strange kids.... but I think we are gonna chicken out and just keep the lights off!

Why? They don't bite! Did you not go trick or treating as a kid yourself?

'Tis only one night a year folks. Embrace the madness! I love seeing the little blighters all dressed up in their costumes, hands out, all excited about receiving a few sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If they don't come to your door you could always drive around looking for them. Just pull up alongside and offer them sweets out through the window of your car.

Make sure you do it in a white van :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

nomnomnomnom....so anyway

Only 24 hours until the hoards of little brats come calling for their free food. *doorbell every 30 seconds*

Any novel suggestions as to the best way to handle the mobs of starving street children? Making their evening as unbearable as they do for us perhaps.

:cool:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's once a year. Don't be such a grinch and give them a few sweets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Just put on Clerical garb ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Why? They don't bite! Did you not go trick or treating as a kid yourself?

I didn't do it as a kid, but my boyfriend did. I never know what to say at the door. Do you ask them about their costume or say they look good/ scary? I know it sounds stupid but I have never done it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Only get about four max. End up eating the food myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I didn't do it as a kid, but my boyfriend did. I never know what to say at the door. Do you ask them about their costume or say they look good/ scary? I know it sounds stupid but I have never done it!

Don't be shy they're only pucas. Just say here you go guys and offer the bag/bowl, you don't have to make small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I always leave my husband to answer the door. Two years ago he was running low on sweets and a gang of kids knocked the door. He did a quick head count and divvied out what was left - only he missed one tiny little girl who was at the back of the gang. I heard her scream "HE WOULDN'T GIVE ME SWEEEEETS" and crying as she ran back down the driveway.

We didn't get a single knock last year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah, you can compliment their costumes and just say 'Happy Halloween' while popping the sweets in their bags. Or just say nothing and hand over the loot....that's all they're really interested in ;)

Not apples, oranges or monkey nuts, though. God, I hated getting fruit and nuts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Whispered wrote: »
    I always leave my husband to answer the door. Two years ago he was running low on sweets and a gang of kids knocked the door. He did a quick head count and divvied out what was left - only he missed one tiny little girl who was at the back of the gang. I heard her scream "HE WOULDN'T GIVE ME SWEEEEETS" and crying as she ran back down the driveway.

We didn't get a single knock last year. :o

No wonder Oireland has "the Entoitled generation"

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

ah the great thing about living in an apartment building.... no T-r-Ts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

SMJSF wrote: »
    ah the great thing about living in an apartment building.... no T-r-Ts :)

Challenge accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Don't be a miserable git, just give them some free crisps/sweets. Nobody likes 'that guy' who doesn't answer the door at Halloween.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Challenge accepted.

Definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Birneybau wrote: »
    :confused:

Eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I'll be handing out chocolates, sweets and toothbrushes but I hope my neighbour doesn't freak out like last time because of the costumes everyone wore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Just buy oranges and peanuts. Or every better is loose digestive biscuits(got these a few times). I guarantee no one will bother calling the next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We've had two groups calling trick or treating so far this evening, chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The joys of apartment living!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Are school sponsored walks on at the moment? I just had two girls knock at the door looking for sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Eating.

I got that. It just seemed you were implying that you eat kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

nomnomnomnom....so anyway

Only 24 hours until the hoards of little brats come calling for their free food. *doorbell every 30 seconds*

Any novel suggestions as to the best way to handle the mobs of starving street children? Making their evening as unbearable as they do for us perhaps.

Get a dog

It works at keeping the kids away. We keep the dog inside but found out that the kids don't like coming to our place because of the dog. That's okay though, cause we don't like them calling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Theres about twenty Indian kids living next door balls of bread soaked in chilli powder should do them!!.

Good idea. You could also give potatoes to the Irish children.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

lertsnim wrote: »
    Good idea. You could also give potatoes to the Irish children.

You'll still need sweets for the americans though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Dress up like Jimmy Savile? Give them a flash of the old todger?

Advertisement