Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thanks lads. :)

I am back and indeed won't be able to do anything soon. The pain is terrible, so I don't even try to get into a car. It's a huge effort to get into Ms jou's spacious touran (she was my driver to and from hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I wasn't trolling, what are you on about?

Ha ha ha good one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Didn't know where else to post this but there is a nice socket set in aldi today for 50 euro.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-23-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/95-piece-wrench-and-socket-set/

Changed my oil and filter after 6315 miles from the last change.

looked fairly clean on the stick

K5DgZd4.jpg?1

but fairly dirty when out

ARcZqtY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That doesn't look too dirty tbh. It looks a golden color which is normal.

• Advertisement

it wasn't black but tbh i'd rather change it a little early than a little late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

nd wrote: »
    it wasn't black but tbh i'd rather change it a little early than a little late.
    You're right too. It's nice to keep fresh oil in the engine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Did the "infamous" E46 hedgehog/FSU resistor (Part No. 64116923204) today. A fuppin backstard of a job but not quite as bad as I read online prior to starting it.

The blower resistor fails and the fan will periodically stay running on a low setting, draining the battery. It also affects the "strength" that the fan operates at.

Main problem is a single torx screw which is buried in an extremely awkward to access spot.

SLJRwLBl.jpg?1sseog9Ll.jpg

Easiest way I found to get at it was to lie across the door sill and use the combination of the camera & light on my phone to help me guide the torx driver onto the screw. Still took about 30 mins to get that one screw out. :mad:

UUVx7Ynl.jpg Fejzl5cl.jpg

After that, undo the stepper motor, cable tie it out of the way. The part that took me the longest was actually getting the old FSU out.

Not a nice job but there was a lot of satisfaction in turning on the blower and having a nice strong gust in the car! Definitely recommend OEM (€115.55) if you are planning on doing this, spurious parts are known to fail and it definitely isn't a job you want to do multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Not a nice job but there was a lot of satisfaction in turning on the blower and having a nice strong gust in the car! Definitely recommend OEM (€115.55) if you are planning on doing this, spurious parts are known to fail and it definitely isn't a job you want to do multiple times.

Well done it is a pain of a job alright, being a big guy myself, it is even worse.
    Done a few so far and I hate that job.
    The thing is about the FSU you could have bought the BEHR one, about 65 euros, still original, but half price.
    But you are right many other brands fails rather quickly or don't even work properly, such as Bilstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

bmstuff wrote: »
    Well done it is a pain of a job alright, being a big guy myself, it is even worse.
    Done a few so far and I hate that job.
    The thing is about the FSU you could have bought the BEHR one, about 65 euros, still original, but half price.
    But you are right many other brands fails rather quickly or don't even work properly, such as Bilstein.

I can't imagine how awkward it is for a bigger guy to do it alrite. I was contemplating taking out the driver seat at one stage to get more room. Pretty sure one of last times I was over, you mentioned that you were getting ready to do one on an M3 and it was a sh!t job. Pity on the price of the part but I just wanted to get it done asap as I've come down to a dead battery twice this week and Joe Duffy is local-ish.

The saving grace was the light & camera on the phone. I could see exactly where the screw was and guide the driver without having to spend too long contorted in the wheel well. You probably have your own procedure nailed down but would recommend giving it a try next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Fitted refurbished set of TTE Aero alloys to the guzzler

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Total overhaul on the front last night.
    All arms, drop links and arb bushes.
    Tight as you like now. Rears next Saturday!

326415.jpg

Hardwired dash camera to 2008 BMW e92 today.
    Had to modify the original plug to add new wires, as it it 5v output, then connected the new wires to a fuse tap installed in the fuse panel.
    Turns out real nice in my opinion and comes on and off with the engine running or not.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How much was camera would love something like that as its quite well hidden better then any i have bought.

only got 1 not expensive records for 30sec then that's it no buttons work on it so was well and truly shafted.

How much was camera would love something like that as its quite well hidden better then any i have bought.

only got 1 not expensive records for 30sec then that's it no buttons work on it so was well and truly shafted.

I think the owner bought it on eBay.co.uk for about 70-80 euros. Seems to have a high resolution. Decent piece of kit apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nice job but looks a bit bulky.~How is the quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Changed the oil and filter on a Mk1 Focus this morning. About 45 mins, small spillage after the plug came out:eek:.

Fram filter €6, Ford Formula F 5W-30 from a Ford dealer €29 for 5L. Re-used the same plug as it was bought new last October. Put a bit of copper grease on the threads for next time. No leaks after 7km!

Total mileage now 240k klms.

Also put in a new Motorcraft battery last week. €63 from the same Ford dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The sump plug came out? What happened there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oil, oil everywhere I'd imagine.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oil, oil everywhere I'd imagine.

I was going more for how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So the drivers seat needed a bit of a clean so got some aeriel powder in a bowl, some hot water and a micro fibre cloth. Afterwards wiped it with a damp cloth until the cloth came out dry.

Aside from that gave the car the usual checks and a hoover. Walked around and noticed the front tyres arent wearing evenly. Will get her tracked this week. Luckily there is a main dealer nearby who only charge €20 for a four wheel alignment.

Forgot to mention that i have an aftermarket armrest which i got from micksgarage in the avensis. It broke last week. I took it apart and I had to do some repairs. A lot of glue later and she is back in the car.

I think I should have went with a part from a breakers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

corkgsxr wrote: »
    The sump plug came out? What happened there

Yes! I was surprised myself. Much easier than last year!

The spillage was due to the sump plug slipping out of my hand and into the catcher, blocking the hole. I have one of those plastic catchers that sits on its side with the bung hole facing up in the middle. It has a carrier handle built into it. Everything was black and I couldn't see where the sump plug went until I saw the level rise and rise. Lost about 1.5litres.

Definitely learned a thing or two today

2003 BMW e60 LCI headlights retrofit.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG

kavanada wrote: »
    Yes! I was surprised myself. Much easier than last year!

The spillage was due to the sump plug slipping out of my hand and into the catcher, blocking the hole. I have one of those plastic catchers that sits on its side with the bung hole facing up in the middle. It has a carrier handle built into it. Everything was black and I couldn't see where the sump plug went until I saw the level rise and rise. Lost about 1.5litres.

Definitely learned a thing or two today

Ah right thought you were driving along or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bmstuff wrote: »
    2003 BMW e60 LCI headlights retrofit.

Is that a xenon conversion or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

So the drivers seat needed a bit of a clean so got some aeriel powder in a bowl, some hot water and a micro fibre cloth. Afterwards wiped it with a damp cloth until the cloth came out dry.

Aside from that gave the car the usual checks and a hoover. Walked around and noticed the front tyres arent wearing evenly. Will get her tracked this week. Luckily there is a main dealer nearby who only charge €20 for a four wheel alignment.
    Do you mind me asking where that dealer is? I got 2 tyres recently, and I'll be getting 2 rears in the next few weeks and I'd like to get the tracking done at the same time.

In buttevant, halfway between cork and limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

In buttevant, halfway between cork and limerick.
    :eek: Thank you very much. Unfortunately it's a bit out of the way for a jackeen like myself!:D

I bought an 05 Avensis D4D earlier this year, and when warm doesn't seem to pull as well as it should. After checking and cleaning everything with no luck, I pulled out the tank unit this morning. I took a fair bit of slime out of it. Still not 100% but a small bit better, so I'll change the fuel filter this week. Last changed 5k ago, and it looked a bit snotty then. I had put it down to the previous owner not changing it for a while.

• Advertisement

I thought that. Things cost crazy money in Dublin for jobs like this.

Maybe you got washed green diesel?

Advertisement