Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I thought that. Things cost crazy money in Dublin for jobs like this.

Maybe you got washed green diesel?
    If anything I'd say the previous owner might have. I generally brim the tank and run it right down, so I might be responsible for dragging it into the lines alright. My old 01 Avensis D4D seemed to have a lot more pull than this yoke even taking into account the lower gearing in the old one, and the 03 Corolla van in work with the same engine is like a bullet in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

A new fuel filter and maybe an oil change and new air filter might make her feel like a different machine altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A new fuel filter and maybe an oil change and new air filter might make her feel like a different machine altogether.
    I gave it everything when i got it 5k miles ago, full service, T belt kit and water pump, cleaned the EGR valve, cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors, intake manifold, and checked all the vaccum hoses which are perfect. One thing I didn't do was throw in a can of injector cleaner, though I put in Dipethane.

I think I'll fire in a can of injector cleaner this week too, while I'm at it. No fault codes showing up on it, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So when I was giving her a hoover last night I noticed a few little cracks in the drivers rubber mat. Out with the duck tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

So quite minor in terms of level of work carried out, but in my opinion, makes a bit of a differance to the interior. Was surprised a 2014 car would come with actual door pins, let alone black plastic ones, so found a set of aluminium ones on ebay, and replaced them in the car today:

HWkXatz.jpg?1
    MypmIDQ.jpg?1

Have a few more bits on the way, will post them up as there done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Interesting, never would've thought of replacing them unless they're broken or something.

Yeh I wouldn't of thought about replacing them , but found them on eBay whilst looking for something else, so for a tenner posted I think it wasn't bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How do you fit them anyway out of curiosity? Do they screw in or do you take door card off?

How do you fit them anyway out of curiosity? Do they screw in or do you take door card off?

Yeh they kinda just pulled up a bit then you screw them off, literally a 2 min job on each door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

made an uber cheap smoke "vacuum leak detector"
    HlmGJfN.jpg?1
    based on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlyAqiYMro

it works great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nice bong, mate. :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Still testing out my new shocks, and powerflex black top mounts. All going well!

I've just been looking up a brake upgrade, Brembo sports discs, with EBC greenstuff pads is what I'm thinking...could be an interesting project for the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Still testing out my new shocks, and powerflex black top mounts. All going well!

I've just been looking up a brake upgrade, Brembo sports discs, with EBC greenstuff pads is what I'm thinking...could be an interesting project for the new year!

What about fitting a brake setup from a 330?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

vectra wrote: »

If it'd work out cheaper then id be all for that

Down the line im swapping out the brake set up on the 900 for a 9000 set up, bigger and more easy to get parts for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Likewise with MX5's, most people do a straight swap from 1.6 to 1.8 brakes. Much meatier.

That said, Willwood do a really good set of fronts for about €700 and the just put some 1.8 fronts on the rear... Hmmm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vectra wrote: »

Honestly hadn't thought of it! Had just been looking at greenstuff pads, and then I moved onto discs and that was that. Cost and being on the limits of what I would do DIY would be holding me back I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Started this back in June, finished it in August sometime, but took the final pics today and I'm only getting to uploading the pics now!
    As you can see there was two nasty scrapes or whatever you want to call them, on the pajero that needed attention. So I set about fixing them. Got the fillers and got paint specially mixed up in Halfords, which was waaaaay off!! 50 yoyo down the drain. (You can see the test spot in the first pic - the dark grey in the scrape)

So when the job was done I went to the local motor factors, and took out a load of pre mixed spray cans, and out of pure luck I got one that matched! €8, job sorted. The spots to be done were in awkward places, and I suppose I should have sanded the fillers back better at the end, but at least the nasty look is gone. At the end of the day it's only a farm jeep :) Apologies to those of you on slow servers/internet/phones, these pics will be a nightmare loading until the thread goes to a new page.

2e0u6xf.png

Sanded the area.
    51d9q9.png

Fillers applied and sanded back. That shít is toxic! (Isopan)
    2r6fjmq.png

Wiped down.
    2qth6v8.png

And the back.
    Same process again, fillers applied, sanded back and wiped down.
    4k8suu.png

29w68g6.png

b9zsp.png

ve7vbo.png

And finished pictures. Primer went on first.
    2w2j5lc.png

24n40ap.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Fair play Noccy, though the phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Fair play Noccy, though the phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind! :)

Ah no it's in fair good condition. I try to keep it clean especially the inside. I'll put a few interior shots up in the appropriate thread sometime.

Think this one appeared here before. (The white writing on that front wheel has since been painted over!)

11lr6lu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those wide arched facelift pajeros are a handsome machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Spent a lot of money today. :eek:

327647.jpg

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

joujoujou wrote: »
    Spent a lot of money today. :eek:

;):D

0% discount, amateur :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm neiter a beggar nor from Cavan to ask for discount on 7 euros. :P

Bpmull wrote: »
    0% discount, amateur :pac:

I don't have to ask I just look poor :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

joujoujou wrote: »
    I'm neiter a beggar nor from Cavan to ask for discount on 7 euros. :P

Only realised it was 7 euro there I only glanced at the pic before. I wouldn't have been too worried either about discount in that case :pac: although I've never gone to a main dealer and spend less than about 20 quid I'd say last trip was 120 quid but I got a lot of stuff.

Didn't get a chance to fit my new brake discs. But changed the sisters coolant.

If anyone else ever wonders where the block drainage plug is on a 1.6 4a fe engined avensis this is it with the socket on it. I couldn't find any picture of it on google.

zHwW1Dj.jpg

Beside the oil filter?

Yeah i read it was around the oil filter on various forums. But didn't know exactly. It's to the left of it basically under the alternator. You can't see it from the engine bay, just from under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well just after midnight (so technically today :P ) I decided there was no better time to go out and roll around on the ground under the back of the car to replace the 2 registration plate light bulbs and swapped one of the alloys for the full-size spare in prep for the NCT today.

Then failed the test ... on passenger side headlamp alignment. :(

On the one hand I'm delighted that it was only something so minor that it failed on. On the flip side I'm peeved that I have to pay the full re-test fee just to have 1 headlight checked. :rolleyes:

Could have been worse I suppose.

• Advertisement

fitted my new brake discs

87cggOZ.jpg

the old ones were well worn

myUEbV3.jpg

I did notice one of the slider pins seemed a little sticky. There are lots of warnings on google ect that you must use the correct grease/paste on them. Anyone know what to use on a 02 corolla slider pins?

Advertisement