Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hal1 wrote: »
    When I removed my old shock I could compress it by hand :eek:.

You can do that with a new shock sure :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The fun ones are when you can't compress them atall :pac:

Decided the other day, know what, my back tyres need replacing.... Seeing as they were Chinese dirt, it'd be rude not to :cool:

I made sure they could never ever be used again, thanks to a nice farmyard that needed some black concrete :D
    15331949389_d4c6aa7579_h.jpg

Pull a set of these out of thin air
    15332191428_265386c04c_h.jpg

Much better
    15495672516_7b5215e7ca_o.jpg

I'll put these on the front afterwards :) I can't wait to replace the tyres currently on it in the same way..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The spring is what does the work. The shock stops it bouncing about madly by slowing the movement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah I understand when it gets to where it won't compress is a bad thing, but it was very easy to compress it. I think it shat itself of grease :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

dgt wrote: »
    I made sure they could never ever be used again, thanks to a nice farmyard that needed some black concrete :D
    You can't tell us that and then deny us the evidence of your hard work! :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Top Dog wrote: »
    You can't tell us that and then deny us the evidence of your hard work! :pac::D

Some of my youtube videos are private for a reason ;););) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Installed cheapo Aliexpress reverse camera..... pretty much identical to the real thing, integrated into the boot handle as well. Tough to get it installed, but well worth doing it yourself, worked out about €70 all in.

20141012_125636_zpsf5d678fc.jpg

20141012_125446_zpse9c9ba09.jpg

Have a link to where you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

4 new sets of brakes.
    4 hours work.
    Brake unwinder tool was totally worth it. Did the back pistons, and helped compress the front.

Back pads were almost metal - probably the originals that came with the car judging by the rust on 'em. Fronts were ok. Could've been left alone, but I did them anyway.

325099.jpeg

EDIT: A quick run down the Ongar road with it and all is well. No fluid lost fromthe reservoir. All four disks nicely and evenly scuffed free of surface rust. Even the handbrake's working better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Currently in the process of changing my rear shocks. First on, and the second is almost there. Took longer than expected, but all is looking good at the moment. It seems my diagnoses was correct, the old shocks were noticably worn when I was examining them off the car. One worse than the other. Koni sport shocks going in. Oh baby!

And done. Had the second on in 20 minutes flat after work. The car is sitting better, and seems to not roll as much in the corners, and is noticeably better going over bumps. Success! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I think I've finally got my primera close to the 90hp's of fury it left the factory with. I picked up a ELM bluetooth job for under a fiver and plugged it in. The torque app was telling me I was only getting 80% throttle. It was a handy fix!

2co3hhe.jpg

Wear on the plastic insert behind the ball on the end of the cable was the issue I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the first and possibly only little mod on the 500!

i noticed most high spec "lounge" models had this fancy tip:
    fiat-500-chrome-exhaust-tip-genuine-fiat-750x563.jpg

and we were hard done by with little stump!:
    20141011_211640.jpg

so got this halfords jobby. yes, a halfords exhaust tip... i think it looks well, will probably look better when the inside gets a little sooty. it's not a letterbox tip like the Fiat original but it looks kinda retro none the less.
    20141012_150914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Wouldn't be my cup of tea man, seems to be too far from the bumper or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

yeah it does protrude out past the end of the bumper a fair bit, but if you look at the first pic so does the OEM tip. i think the car looked more unfinished with the exhaust cut out in the bumper with nothing visible... may take a pic of the full rear end, was a bit unsure myself at first but it's defo better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

There is a split in the rubber hose connected to the turbo (ford focus) when I accelerate there is a loud air whooshing noise.
    My local mechanic cant get to it for about a week, is it ok to drive it around in the meantime? Mostly drives ok, small bit of chugging now and again and fuel consumption is reduced. Would duck tape do as a temporary solution to seal the tear?
    Looks to be a simple enough job, unscrew both clamps and replace the hose and screw clams back on. is it that simple or am I better leaving it to the professional?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TheShow wrote: »
    There is a split in the rubber hose connected to the turbo (ford focus) when I accelerate there is a loud air whooshing noise.
    My local mechanic cant get to it for about a week, is it ok to drive it around in the meantime? Mostly drives ok, small bit of chugging now and again and fuel consumption is reduced. Would duck tape do as a temporary solution to seal the tear?
    Looks to be a simple enough job, unscrew both clamps and replace the hose and screw clams back on. is it that simple or am I better leaving it to the professional?

Get new hose and give it a go if ya have the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Just be very carefull not to drop anything into the intake side and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Changed the oil in my Stilo yesterday. I needed a breaker bar to open the sump nut :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Wired in an aux. cable for my Ford Focus into the glove box. Surprisingly tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Went to the mopar to investigate the cause of brake failure.
    Took the wheel off after jacking her up. The whole hub, wheel assembly, and 80% of the brakes came off with it. In addition to finding another possible contributor to brake failure, a corroded/burst brake line.

Fun times ahead!

Although I did realize the reason behind the intermittent ignition fault. It starts fine when cold but wont start at all when the engine is anyway warm. Turns out when the exhaust was re-mounted it was put too close to the starter motor. Back to souhans we go! (once the brakes are sorted of course!)

• Advertisement

Nightbreakers arrived this morning (surprisingly quick).

Can't see a huge difference yet being daylight n all. Nightbreaker left - original right

Well the left one looks a lot brighter and not as yellow as the standard one. I had the NB's and they were great until the blew during the cold weather.

Well the left one looks a lot brighter and not as yellow as the standard one. I had the NB's and they were great until the blew during the cold weather.

Finished the job. Once I started the car I could see a noticeable difference. Should have done that the first time.

So the dips were changed to nightbreakers, parking lights replaced with LEDs, h1 fogs were replaced (one was blown to the point where the glass was gone off the bulb and I've no idea where it went) and the rear numberplate bulbs changed to LEDs. Just in time before hurricane Gonzalo, yes Gonzalo started to act up. The wind swept the packaging from the osrams straight up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I switched to the nightbreaker plus from the super dooper philips bulbs about a year ago and they are very good.

There's an awful lot of hype surrounding that gonzalo. It's nothing more than an autuminal storm. More sensationalist journalism. I would still be cautious of felled trees on backroads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

One and only job this week - alternator replaced. The old one was still working, although could be heard already (bearings I guess). 10 minutes replacement itself, one hour lost on searching spare one in a shed. :D

There will be no more tasks this week as I'm going to a hospital tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

joujoujou wrote: »
    One and only job this week - alternator replaced. The old one was still working, although could be heard already (bearings I guess). 10 minutes replacement itself, one hour lost on searching spare one in a shed. :D

Best of luck, I hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

joujoujou wrote: »

Hope jou get on well and that jou come out better on the other side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Hope jou get on well and that jou come out better on the other side ;)

Your nearly as bad as old cabb8ge at this stage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

YbFocus wrote: »
    Your nearly as bad as old cabb8ge at this stage :)

I wasn't trolling, what are you on about?

Advertisement