Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've picked up tickets for the show in Cork on 7th November @ 8.30, checked the Omniplex website and I could buy them, was the first person to so had my pick of seats :pac:

Cant wait for this now.

Chelsea fan and a Nolan fan - you must be a decent sort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-interstellar-review/

Early word, including some from some familiar names.

Encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

2 weeks to go! Should be good. Not messed this up with full trailer viewing.

To frame how bad things are ..a comment concerning another film's trailer, Horns.. watch the trailer and save yourself a cinema ticket, including the final reveal. Piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

the_monkey wrote: »
    Chelsea fan and a Nolan fan - you must be a decent sort :D

ever since I seen The Prestige I've been a Nolan fan, really liked that film actually.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    ever since I seen The Prestige I've been a Nolan fan, really liked that film actually.

Snap - it's the only (hopefully another one soon :)) film I have rated 10 on imdb ....

I was never so fixated in a movie theatre then I was for the Prestige ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

So have the connoisseurs on here come to a conclusion about what's the best screen in Dublin to watch this on?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

quad_red wrote: »
    So have the connoisseurs on here come to a conclusion about what's the best screen in Dublin to watch this on?

:)
    I could see it in Cineworld with my Unlimited card but will choose either Lighthouse or Savoy 1 instead.

Or maybe even a suburban cinema so I have less of a chance of dealing with annoying patrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I was going to post the same Q as about. Where does everyone think best cinema to see this would be? I've never actually been in the lighthouse cinema but i have heard good things

jones wrote: »
    I was going to post the same Q as about. Where does everyone think best cinema to see this would be? I've never actually been in the lighthouse cinema but i have heard good things
    Yeah very comfy seats, big main screen and good projection quality. IMO the best cinema in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

More well known filmmakers given it rave reviews on Twitter

"Interstellar is bold & ballsy. Huge ideas done in a concrete grounded way, and some of the finest space travel spectacle this side of 2001" Rian Johnson

"Saw 'Interstellar' for a second time projected on IMAX film. Truly an magnificent film. Emotional, visually stunning. See it large and loud." Edgar Wright

e_e wrote: »
    I could see it in Cineworld with my Unlimited card but will choose either Lighthouse or Savoy 1 instead.

Or maybe even a suburban cinema so I have less of a chance of dealing with annoying patrons.

I doubt annoying patrons will bother with this if has to make them think e_e :pac:

I've decided never to see a huge film on opening day in Cineworld again because of the super annoying experience I had watching Guardians of the Galaxy a few months back. Saw Gone Girl on first day in my local multiplex and it was bliss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Yeah very comfy seats, big main screen and good projection quality. IMO the best cinema in Dublin.

How does it compare to the Odeon in Point Village? Never seen the anything in "iSense" but wouldn't mind seeing what Dolby Atmos is like (mainly as I'm considering wiring sitting room for it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

SachaJ wrote: »
    How does it compare to the Odeon in Point Village? Never seen the anything in "iSense" but wouldn't mind seeing what Dolby Atmos is like (mainly as I'm considering wiring sitting room for it).

Don't think interstellar used atmos for sound, you should check out a movie that did use it at a screen that has it setup though, supposed to be great. The latest Transformers is the last one I heard about using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Can,t wait to see this film. I actually thought it was out on the 7th of this month and was really disapointed when I realised I still had a month to wait. Am looking forward to seeing this in the biggest screen possible in 2D. I have no interest in that other format.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

AMKC wrote: »
    Can,t wait to see this film. I actually thought it was out on the 7th of this month and was really disapointed when I realised I still had a month to wait. Am looking forward to seeing this in the biggest screen possible in 2D. I have no interest in that other format.

It's not in 3D anyway, Nolan thinks that's a silly gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Any preview screenings anywhere in Dublin on the Thursday night?

and he's right !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AMKC

Delighted means I might get to see this on the bigger screens in 2D eg the IMax and the I Sense. Just got to decide which one to see it in. Would love to see it in both but might not get too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I watched 2001 A space Odyssey the other night - while an enjoyable film,
    I hope Nolan doesn't draw too much from it - the last thing we need is a great film with a crazy ending

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The crazier the ending the better. I’d love a modern sci-fi film with a ballsy third act like 2001. I can’t really think of any that don’t fall back on genre conventions in their final third.

The crazier the ending the better. I’d love a modern sci-fi film with a ballsy third act like 2001. I can’t really think of any that don’t fall back on genre conventions in their final third.
    Just read a review saying that it's like the end of 2001 with somebody standing there explaining everything that happens. I seriously hope not.

Haven't disliked a Nolan film to date so I'll be taking the responses so far with a pinch of salt. Hell I even enjoyed Transcendence. :pac:

From the few reviews that have been released so far, It seems to range from brilliant to Not Nolan's best to outright dislike (Indiewire reviewer gave it a D, although reading it he wasn't a Nolan fan walking in).

Haven't disliked a Nolan film to date so I'll be taking the responses so far with a pinch of salt. Hell I even enjoyed Transcendence. :pac:

Well I've only seen 4 reviews, You got one brilliant (the one posted), Two alright and one hated it. But as you say take it with a pinch of salt and check it out yourself but I could see this splitting a lot of opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, Transcendence didn't deserve half the kicking it got from critics: it wasn't great, and had some pacing and narrative issues, but ultimately was a decent enough old-school, 'big ideas' sci-fi tale. Utopian as well, which never goes down well with modern thinking :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Excellent review by David Ehrlich, one of the few critics whose reviews I bother reading in full. He had some issues but calls it the best blockbuster of the year.
    Interstellar is by far the best and most comprehensively satisfying big-budget spectacle of the year... and that’s a serious problem. The cosmic margin by which Christopher Nolan’s latest film eclipses its competition forces it to double as an unsettling reminder of how unimpressive such a feat has become. Nolan has made a career of exposing the poverty of our current blockbuster cinema, and not since Inception has a film of this size evinced a narrative ambition on par with that of its scale (with the possible exception of independently financed bomb, Cloud Atlas), but it was never going to be any other way.

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/theatrical-reviews/interstellar-28347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Wasn't that directed by Wally Pfister ?

Advertisement