Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Will someone make a second "seen" thread for this, please? Wanna avoid any reviews/opinions and go in totally open minded. Not seeing it until Wednesday 12th in Manchester so might be hard to accomplish lol

Mr.S wrote: »
    Been to this twice and it definitely needs to be seen with somewhere with a very decent sound system, at the Savoy screening you could barley understand dialogue at times.

How'd you manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Steven Spielberg was supposed to direct this - Thank F*ck he didn´t !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

well i'm still on the fence about whether this movie is fantastic or not. It doesn't help the fact that i'm hard of hearing and it was a tough chore trying to follow all the dialogue in the movie. So i was naturally confused when i saw the last 20 mins of the movie. Is there someone who could explain what happened in the ending of the movie? Either a reply here with spoilers or a pm will do.
    why does the matt damon character get all homicidal?? Why was the robot dismantled and then when it was repaired, why did the station go all kaboom??

I get that there was an element of time travel which was made possible by entering event horizon of the black hole/wormhole. But my question is, was that his intention, did he know this would happen or what was his actual intention?

Also who was the voice that was talking to him when he was looking at all the timeline strands or behind the bookshelf?

Why is the earth all circular? how is that even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What's the sound system like in the Lighthouse compared to other offerings in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Where is the best place to go see this is Dublin?

I'm hearing things about IMAX and this and that. I've no idea what the young kids are into these days but I want whatever is best. 2D/3d available?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Where is the best place to go see this is Dublin?

I'm hearing things about IMAX and this and that. I've no idea what the young kids are into these days but I want whatever is best. 2D/3d available?

If you're not part of cineworlds membership scheme which would get you into the digital IMAX screen for €4 then I wouldn't be paying the full unjustified €18 price, seeing as it's not the true 70mm IMAX experience which is also €18, and in some places (in UK even) actually cheaper than the digital rip off screen in Cineworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Got to see it last night in Savoy. I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on it..

So how about that 2nd thread for "seen" eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So how about that 2nd thread for "seen" eh?

No need. We'll add a spoiler warning to the title of this thread a day or two after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am thinking of going to see this in the Imax in Cineworld even if it ain,t 100 per cent the real deal. My reason I seen Noah there and the sound was just incredible really you could feel the sound waves it was that good. I used to go to screen 17 in Cineworld all the time untill they upgraded it and called it IMax. Now its only mostly 3D films in it and so I early go to that screen now. I am hoping this film has not been done in 3D.
    Its either that screen or the Isense in the Odeon cinema in the Point.
    I don,t really know what the other cinema,s are like except for the Savoy which is ok.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I am thinking of going to see this in the Imax in Cineworld even if it ain,t 100 per cent the real deal. My reason I seen Noah there and the sound was just incredible really you could feel the sound waves it was that good. I used to go to screen 17 in Cineworld all the time untill they upgraded it and called it IMax. Now its only mostly 3D films in it and so I early go to that screen now. I am hoping this film has not been done in 3D.
    Its either that screen or the Isense in the Odeon cinema in the Point.
    I don,t really know what the other cinema,s are like except for the Savoy which is ok.

The chances of it happening are slim, but hopefully cineworld or odeon will setup a proper IMAX screen in Ireland because it is going to become more used for big blockbusters. The new star wars is filming scenes in 70mm film and that'll be an absolutely massive release.

Ms

The chances of it happening are slim, but hopefully cineworld or odeon will setup a proper IMAX screen in Ireland because it is going to become more used for big blockbusters. The new star wars is filming scenes in 70mm film and that'll be an absolutely massive release.

I agree it would be great if they did.There used to be a proper Imax cinema at Parnel street. It only screened documentaries and other special films do. It did not do blockbusters as I don,t think they were being shot in the 70mm film that is used in Imax films at the time. Never actually went to see any films at it myself. Think it shut because it was not busy enough. Maybe Cineworld could re-open it if it was still there.
    I would say a cinema like that there now would do well do. Wonder are the screens and equipment still there but somehow I don,t think they would be. Were probably auctioned of.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I agree it would be great if they did.There used to be a proper Imax cinema at Parnel street. It only screened documentaries and other special films do. It did not do blockbusters as I don,t think they were being shot in the 70mm film that is used in Imax films at the time. Never actually went to see any films at it myself. Think it shut because it was not busy enough. Maybe Cineworld could re-open it if it was still there.
    I would say a cinema like that there now would do well do. Wonder are the screens and equipment still there but somehow I don,t think they would be. Were probably auctioned of.

Yeah they could really make a big deal out of it by marketing it as Ireland's only proper IMAX screen, lots of people would have no problem travelling up for special occasions like seeing this movie at it. And in BFI IMAX London they do events like all night screenings of the dark knight trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Huge spoiler on film 2014 ****ing idiots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I don't think there would be enough 70mm Imax movies to keep it going. There only about 1 or 2 big event movies(that have Imax scenes in them) in any given year that people would want to see on Imax.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

ricero wrote: »

Watchin it now. Cudnt turn it off before that phucktard said it. Kinda guessed already what he said was in the film but i cud have done without hearing that much detail. What a phuckin d!ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this last night so I will keep my thoughts hidden. Overall I thought it was very good but not as great as my expectations, and I very much felt the running time. I expected to walk out saying the time flew.
    Firstly it is visually stunning but I must admit, nothing was as jaw dropping as that in Inception. The black hole looked great and I'm glad that Nolan relies more on practical effects than CGI overload. It shows in his films and this thankfully keeps that up.

Story wise, it's a good story, not as fantastic as I would have liked it. With that, the emotional punches the film needed to pull are not as powerful as they should rightly be. The scene with Cooper reviewing twenty odd years of messages was the most emotionally effective scene.

With a great big cast of good actors and the lengthy running time, I'm surprised to say that many actors were short changed. Particularly Wes Bentley (hey, it would have been too obvious to kill off the 'token' black guy in space early), Casey Affleck and not that it bothers me much, Topher Grace. Speaking of the token character in space, he's never given chance to be a character outright, just to age ahead of them and be killed off and with that the actor is denied some prime opportunity for a sad scene regarding his time waiting for them to return.

I liked the surprise of seeing Matt Damon appear, I didn't know he was in it ahead of time. They did a good job by keeping his name off the posters and in the trailers.

The ending didn't pack the emotional punch I hoped for given the time the film spans and the long lost relationship between father and daughter. I was annoyed that after all that time Murph just waves him off after a minute so she can die surrounded by her family. Then there wasn't enough of a romantic relationship for Cooper to go after Brand to make it feel like it's what his heart should do next. I couldn't hear the final lines of dialogue Murph spoke in the film because the sound in Savoy wasn't great, loud when it needed to be but a real struggle for much of the dialogue. Particularly when you've got mumblers in the cast. I'm sorta stunned as to why Brand hadn't been rescued by this point, that it was left to Coop to go after her.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts. I'll probably go see it again in Imax but I'm not feeling the immediate desire to see it so soon like I had with other Nolan films, mainly because it is so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

looking forward to seeing this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

I'm rather curious, what exactly was the spoiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

mark13 wrote: »
    I'm rather curious, what exactly was the spoiler?
    About
    McConnaughey going into the wormhole and then coming back and his daughter's aged 30 years and basically become Jessica Chastain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

The 70mm version of the film on it's reel

0tPbysl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

That Film 2014 spoiler isn't a big deal really, it happens early enough on in the film and once the basic premise has been setup, you know it's coming.

Best bet is to skip the reviews entirely until you've seen it, 'The New York Post' review basically gives away the entire plot and there's a few other dodgy ones out there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully seeing it tomorrow. Thought Pat Kenny's interview was a bit cringe in places.

Kermode linked to these pics of the reels. http://www.julieedwardsphotography.co.uk/interstellarprint

Ms

Thats why I recorded it. Did not want them to ruin it for me. They do not care they have alread seen the film good for them. I think a review of any film should be delayed by a week to give people who want to see a film without reading or seeing what someone says of it first a chance. The BBC could have delayed showing that Film 2014 for a week for instance.
    They don,t do as they just think ah sure everyone has some way of recording shows these days if they don,t want to see it yet and have it spoiled for them.

On a seperate issue. What is the 35mm screen at the Lighthouse cinema in Smithfield like? Does it have good sound and a big screen?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Pretty much same question as above i'm trying to decide between savoy 1 and lighthouse. What do you folks think? PQ and AQ quality is a must

Screen 1 in The Lighthouse is suitably big for a film of this scale, the other 3 screens are a good bit smaller though.

A few shots of screen 1 starting at 1:56, the screens roughly the same width as wall to wall there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Maybe its just the video (or the white walls) but it actually looks smaller than i thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Would be interested in hearing if anyone has seen the 35mm version in Lighthouse as well. Thinking of heading there next Thursday, never been before.

• Advertisement

thejaguar wrote: »
    Would be interested in hearing if anyone has seen the 35mm version in Lighthouse as well. Thinking of heading there next Thursday, never been before.
    I'm seeing it there and will report back.

2 critics I follow on Twitter, one called it Nolan's best and the other sAid it was the biggest disappointment of the year. Bring it on! :)

Advertisement