Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Can't we all just wait and watch the film and rate it on its merits rather than its director?

So much for fans of his and the detractors on both sides claiming to be more critical or mature than the other side. It's all too much. I really want to just enjoy the experience of Interstellar when it comes out and then make my assessment but christ,people really need to get their heads out of their asses on the internet.

Detox yourselves.Don't watch trailers,read reviews,comment threads,listen to others UNTIL you've seen it. Plus you'll probably appreciate the film more going in fresh. Sadly,the age we live in means we end up with a built in bias by online reaction before we even give it a chance.

Sorry,this was more me ranting than reacting to previous posts on this thread.I'll be off now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

e_e wrote: »

Will the 35MM version look much different from the digital print ?

Well it'll look grainier but it's all subjective as to which is better. A bit like the Vinyl vs. CD debate it all depends on whether you want something warmer and more tactile or a completely pristine if colder way of experiencing it.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    Well it'll look grainier but it's all subjective as to which is better. A bit like the Vinyl vs. CD debate it all depends on whether you want something warmer and more tactile or a completely pristine if colder way of experiencing it.

Well Vinyl does have a higher frequency range than a CD. So I wonder if a 35MM print of the film will look better despite the grain and imperfections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

35mm versus Digital i'm torn.
    Is the 35mm the best way to see Interstellar in Ireland? Seeing as we've no 70mm screens - or do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Anne Hathaway is talking to Pat Kenny now ...

Pat has seen the film allready --- was there a premier in Ireland or UK allready ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

the_monkey wrote: »
    Anne Hathaway is talking to Pat Kenny now ...

Pat has seen the film allready --- was there a premier in Ireland or UK allready ?

There’s been press screenings.

There’s been press screenings.

Lucky Pat !!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Bizarrely, the Guardian comment section underneath the middling review seems to be the 'everyone hates Christopher Nolan' club - reading the first page and you'd swear he's widely considered as a joke. The internet is a confusing place sometimes, and doubly so when it comes to this man's films.

Nolan is considered a right winger. To be fair he is fairly authoritarian in his outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Was this film edited on a computer or the old fashioned way, physically cutting and sticking together? I'd imagine everything these days is the former. So the benefit of 35mm would be negligible as either way the camera negative has already been scanned into a computer, edited, effects added and then either sent as a digital file or printed back on to film.

Am I missing something?

I have managed to steer clear of all trailers etc so far, so looking forward to watching this (on whatever format!).

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Was this film edited on a computer or the old fashioned way, physically cutting and sticking together? I'd imagine everything these days is the former. So the benefit of 35mm would be negligible as either way the camera negative has already been scanned into a computer, edited, effects added and then either sent as a digital file or printed back on to film.

Am I missing something?

I have managed to steer clear of all trailers etc so far, so looking forward to watching this (on whatever format!).

Nolan doesnt use a digital intermediate.

http://www.dga.org/craft/dgaq/all-articles/1202-spring-2012/dga-interview-christopher-nolan.aspx

In fact, I've never done a digital intermediate. Photochemically, you can time film with a good timer in three or four passes, which takes about 12 to 14 hours as opposed to seven or eight weeks in a DI suite. That’s the way everyone was doing it 10 years ago, and I've just carried on making films in the way that works best and waiting until there’s a good reason to change. But I haven't seen that reason yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Full technical details here. All the formats, including 35mm and 70mm, seem to have undergone some digital processing and clean-up, with the 35mm prints being the most photochemical.

The most notable thing is that the digital IMAX prints will contain switching aspect ratios, with the 70mm scenes expanding vertically up to an aspect ratio of 1.9:1 (but not the full 1.43:1 you’d get in a real IMAX theatre). A potentially big plus for anyone seeing in Cineworld’s IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just booked tickets to 19:30 IMAX screening in Cineworld on Friday. Nearly sold out already!! :)

Why hasn't Mark Kermode reviewed this yet ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

the_monkey wrote: »
    Why hasn't Mark Kermode reviewed this yet ? :confused:
    Presumably as it's not out til Friday.. he'll air his review on Friday's shows I can only assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Wanna have a laugh or annoy you, have a read of H Knowles comments on it from his Facebook..

It interesting to not he also canned TDKR and Inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Jumboman wrote: »
    Well Vinyl does have a higher frequency range than a CD. So I wonder if a 35MM print of the film will look better despite the grain and imperfections.

I'm sorry to cut in here, but I feel it should be pointed out that this aspect of vinyl is perhaps not as beneficial as you might think - http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Nevertheless I too would prefer to see an analog film projection for some reason or another, blind sentimentality perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Great read!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

bullvine wrote: »
    Wanna have a laugh or annoy you, have a read of H Knowles comments on it from his Facebook..

It interesting to not he also canned TDKR and Inception.

He is a gob-sh1te sellout never trust his reviews he only gives positive reviews to film studios that that fly him out for all expenses paid screenings! More interested to hear what Kevin Smith thinks of it!

Brian wrote: »
    I'm sorry to cut in here, but I feel it should be pointed out that this aspect of vinyl is perhaps not as beneficial as you might think - http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Nevertheless I too would prefer to see an analog film projection for some reason or another, blind sentimentality perhaps.

Sorry but that article is nonsense. 24bit audio is not "useless".

I've listened to alot of 24 bit audio to the point were its hard to go back to listening to 16 bit audio again.

Anybody who has a decent hifi will definitely hear a significant difference between 16 bit and 24 bit audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

there isnt 3D tacked onto interstellar is there? (i detest it)

Omniplex Omnimaxx Cork shows a 2D version and another that dosent say 3D or 2D in its description of the film.

can anyone confirm?

BArra wrote: »
    Nope, Nolan detests it too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Omniplex Omnimaxx Cork shows a 2D version and another that dosent say 3D or 2D in its description of the film.

can anyone confirm?

One of those showings is probably the IMAX type screen and the other one is the regular screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We have ultra AVX here in Vancouver and I have a free movie to use up as well.

Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mr.S wrote: »
    Been to this twice and it definitely needs to be seen with somewhere with a very decent sound system, at the Savoy screening you could barley understand dialogue at times.

well was it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Been to this twice and it definitely needs to be seen with somewhere with a very decent sound system, at the Savoy screening you could barley understand dialogue at times.

I'll second this, couldn't make out a good chunk of the dialogue, which was incredibly frustrating..it was most noticeable in a scene with Michael Caine - I struggled to make out a word of it.

In saying that I loved the movie, as I was walking out I heard a chap say "sure they could have swapped McConaughey for George Clooney, and it would have been the same" the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

... you could barley understand dialogue at times.
    Were you sitting in the CORNer?

/gets coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

can anyone confirm?

Ive got Omnimaxx booked in Cork for about 2weeks now on Friday evening, cant wait, they had it in another regular screen too.

Advertisement