Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

the_monkey wrote: »
    I guess it's a wormhole so I suppose it's possible, but does the story need it to be that far ?

Who said it was a wormhole? I thought it was a time machine going back through Earth's history to fix some problem. You are going to have to wait and see the film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Duggy747 wrote: »
    INTERSTELLAR.2014.CAM.READNFO.x264.AAC-TOXiN

:pac:

I hear Cam's provide the most authentic experience. It's as if you were right there with the director behind the camera. Hence the name... :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The IFI is the only 70mm equipped cinema in Ireland, but I’d say the chances of them getting a 70mm print is slim to none.

Do you remember that 70mm screening of The Master in the IFI that they promised? Probably a good indication of what we can expect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone know if the IMAX in Belfast is getting it?

Saw my first IMAX film last year in London (Gravity). Blew my flipping socks off.

In the Odyssey? It’s gone a good few years now.
    Do you remember that 70mm screening of The Master in the IFI that they promised? Probably a good indication of what we can expect.

Yeah and that was more the IFI’s kind of film. I can’t see Warners creating that many 70mm prints of Interstellar for the sake of two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Who said it was a wormhole? I thought it was a time machine going back through Earth's history to fix some problem. You are going to have to wait and see the film.

I really hope this above is bs ...

From IMDB
    A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

• Advertisement

ktulu123 wrote: »
    So where do we think is the best place to see it in Ireland? Will be seeing it in London IMAX over Christmas but want to see it on release day here first. On a decent screen :)

Would it still be on IMAX over Christmas ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Would it still be on IMAX over Christmas ?

There around December 5th(Leinster match) so hopefully. I'd say so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

I really hope this above is bs ...

Sorry man, I actually got it wrong.

As Doomsday approaches, McConaghy's character is injected with a new experimental drug which allows him to travel into the afterlife in a ring of modern day washing machines with the aim of begging forgiveness from God to save planet Earth through the use of a teleprompter connected to the Earth's most skilled hostage negotiator.

Gonna be great...can't waaaiit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Logged in just to talk about seeing it in the best possible way in Ireland, don't care where it is.

I'm currently planning to get a bus to Dublin just to see it in the IMAX at cineworld but after doing a bit of research it seems that the IMAX screen in Dublin is actually only one of the digital screens as opposed to the 70mm IMAX, which is what you really wanna be seeing movies like this in. I've seen Prometheus and Iron Man 3 in cineworlds IMAX and thought it was amazing both times but I'm kind of disappointed now knowing both weren't actually the true 70mm IMAX experience other countries have available.

So can anyone confirm there is no way to see this movie in all its truly intended glory in Ireland? I know digital is cheaper for cinemas but I don't understand why there isn't at least one in the entire country that would keep a 70mm film screen going for these occasions, they could market it to movie snobs like us easily too.

Maybe a quick cheap flight to London is in order...semi srs

For any unawares, these are the available formats, basically from best to worst, the worst being the one most people in Ireland see movies in: IMAX 70mm Film, 70mm Film, 35mm Film, IMAX, 4k Digital, Digital.

Also, omniplexs 'OmniMaxx' setups are atrocious and blatant money grabbing attempts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Digital IMAX is 2k. I'd rank it below 4k digital except for 3D films and cinemas that can't be trusted to have good presentation.

And yeah London is your best bet, unless the IFI get it, but as said above the chances of that are slim.

• Advertisement

Digital IMAX is 2k. I'd rank it below 4k digital except for 3D films and cinemas that can't be trusted to have good presentation.

And yeah London is your best bet, unless the IFI get it, but as said above the chances of that are slim.

I'm seriously considering flying to London for a couple of days and going to see it in the BFI IMAX screen. I emailed them to find out if they're definitely going to be one of the select cinemas screening it in 70mm, and now we wait.

Any ideas where the UK premiere is going to be hosted? I was thinking since Nolan put such effort into emphasising the quality of 70mm IMAX he'd surely want the first premiere to showcase why he was so adament about it and choose one of only two 70mm IMAX screens over there. (There are actually four but two of those are for museums).

I'm seriously considering flying to London for a couple of days and going to see it in the BFI IMAX screen. I emailed them to find out if they're definitely going to be one of the select cinemas screening it in 70mm, and now we wait.

Any ideas where the UK premiere is going to be hosted? I was thinking since Nolan put such effort into emphasising the quality of 70mm IMAX he'd surely want the first premiere to showcase why he was so adament about it and choose one of only two 70mm IMAX screens over there. (There are actually four but two of those are for museums).

Go for it, it's good to see people truly appreciate film quality these days!

I'll be seeing it in the VO Cinema in Barcelona !!!

I gather it's the worst quality there is - but that or butchered dubbed in spanish ..

Go for it, it's good to see people truly appreciate film quality these days!

I'll be seeing it in the VO Cinema in Barcelona !!!

I gather it's the worst quality there is - but that or butchered dubbed in spanish ..

It's mostly because this could be one of the last big Hollywood movies filmed and screened in true IMAX since everything's going Digital, which is inferior for the time being, and I've been waiting a long time to see the movie anyway. Just a pity I've no way of getting tickets to the actual premiere, that'd be amazing and then I'd definitely go lol.

The premiere in London, who would be at that ? cast + crew ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The BFI IMAX (Odeon) at Waterloo is an excellent venue. I saw Dark Knight Rises there and it was very impressive - they love to dial up the volume too! :D It is definitely my favourite venue and I am hoping to see the final Hobbit film there in December. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Falthyron wrote: »
    The BFI IMAX (Odeon) at Waterloo is an excellent venue. I saw Dark Knight Rises there and it was very impressive - they love to dial up the volume too! :D It is definitely my favourite venue and I am hoping to see the final Hobbit film there in December. Enjoy!

Me too :D We went over to London with 5 pairs of tickets, 4 for Olympic events and 1 for Dark Knight Rises in the IMAX at Waterloo :pac:

FWIW, the IMAX in Cork is pretty decent. Comfy chairs, great sound system and a nice big IMAX screen (not huge like the one in London but still big).

Bacchus wrote: »
    Me too :D We went over to London with 5 pairs of tickets, 4 for Olympic events and 1 for Dark Knight Rises in the IMAX at Waterloo :pac:

FWIW, the IMAX in Cork is pretty decent. Comfy chairs, great sound system and a nice big IMAX screen (not huge like the one in London but still big).

That's not IMAX, it's OmniplexMaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Close enough :) It's much bigger and has better screen/projector quality than anything else in Cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We have UltraAVX here in Vancouver, that will do just fine for watching this. The trailer had the hair on my neck standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Think I'm gonna head over to the BFI imax too. Was planning on going to london for a few days at the end of November anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think Nolan is the only director living today who movies would make people go to different countries to check them out in Imax. I'm just soooooooooo excited to see this now that its killing me having to wait :pac:. If Paul Thomas Anderson say's it's great and a few others have came out and said its the best thing he's done, We are on for a winner. Nolan detractors will hate It no matter if its great (they will never want to admit it)

The Hobbit won't be 70mm IMAX though but through the digital IMAX projectors right?

I've emailed them over the last few days, waiting until Friday when the tickets go on sale to see if I could organise flights and secure tickets. TDK trilogy is being screened in 70mm there all night this Friday too, I was actually considering flying to see that too but cant lmao. Also figured since Nolan went to all this effort the premiere would have to be at a 70mm IMAX screen and since this one's the biggest in UK it'd be where the premiere is and they confirmed they're part of a dual premiere for it, can't get tickets unless you have an in though unfortunately, I'd have paid a lot of money if I could.

The claims omniplex make about those screens on their site is pretty funny. Went to one and any seat past the middle has basically the same FOV as any other screen. The movie didn't even take up the entire screen floor to ceiling and wall to wall either, would've walked out and demanded a refund but was with a big group who wouldn't.

The Hobbit won't be 70mm IMAX though but through the digital IMAX projectors right?

I have no idea if it will be, but I really enjoy the venue as they make it very personalised with someone to introduce the film before the start of every showing. I would like to see Interstellar, but I won't be in London until New Year's and I can't imagine it will still be showing then so it will have to be The Hobbit :D

I assume all IMAX showings of The Hobbit Part 3 will be in 3D 48fps. And in the film’s original widescreen aspect ratio, meaning it will be letterboxed on the BFI screen. Not exactly the “true” IMAX experience.

I have no idea if it will be, but I really enjoy the venue as they make it very personalised with someone to introduce the film before the start of every showing. I would like to see Interstellar, but I won't be in London until New Year's and I can't imagine it will still be showing then so it will have to be The Hobbit :D

Are they strict about talking on using phones during movies? I can't imagine anyone who's not passionate about movies would pay the price for IMAX only to talk or go on there phones but if I go the whole way over and someone does and they're not kicked out I will fuking piss on them.

Are they strict about talking on using phones during movies? I can't imagine anyone who's not passionate about movies would pay the price for IMAX only to talk or go on there phones but if I go the whole way over and someone does and they're not kicked out I will fuking piss on them.

Yeah, very strict. I have been to the IMAX a few times and there has never been trouble. The audience tend to be sensible and a nice mix of people. Their staff put in a huge effort, very personal.

2001: A Space Odyssey is getting re released next month too ...

Has to be for the Interstellar hype ..

Btw has anyone got the latest edition of Empire ?

I'm thinking of getting it for the iPad - is it worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jones

Weird i downloaded it last night for the ipad. I havent read it properly yet but there's a big spread on interstellar so i'd recommend it...plus only just over a fiver on ipad (not sure how much the print copy is its so long since i bought one).

Really psyched for interstellar thinking of going to IFI for it seen as its probably the best we'll get over here. When are tickets on sale?

I've never been so excited about a film ...

I even arranged my Mam to come over on opening weekend so she can babysit so myself and the wife can go see it ...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've picked up tickets for the show in Cork on 7th November @ 8.30, checked the Omniplex website and I could buy them, was the first person to so had my pick of seats :pac:

Cant wait for this now.

Advertisement