Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

60% on RT after 11 reviews I think, too early to go changing any expectations yet though. Sometimes a film being a bit divisive can be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

After trying to organise a small day trip to London to see this at the BFI 70mm IMAX it ended up being a bit too hectic and expensive so I found out the Manchester 70mm IMAX screen is only slightly smaller and there was a lot less tickets booked and return flights were only €29, only bad thing is I'll have to wait until Wednesday the 12th. Have only heard great things about the IMAX scenes of space and planets and soundtrack so even if the story was sh!t I'd still be happy.

Cannot wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Wasn't that directed by Wally Pfister ?
    Yep, but tangentially related to Nolan in terms of their previous collaberations, the film's ideas and the overall look to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Some ponce on the Guardian has given it 3/5 .... very dissapointing ...

I think i'll ignore reviews from now on --- @Sad Professor - you serious about 2001 ending being ballsy ???

You didn't think the star child in orbit was a bit too out there ?

He could have done the same transition in a different way..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

the_monkey wrote: »

Is he a ponce because he gave it 3/5?
    Like a lot of people, I have high expectations for it; doesn't mean it will deliver, at least not for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think i'll ignore reviews from now on --- @Sad Professor - you serious about 2001 ending being ballsy ???

The star child is symbolic and shouldn’t be taken literally. That Kubrick ended an otherwise very realistic film in such an abstract way was, yeah, pretty ballsy IMO.

Just read a negative review from a critic I quite like (Alonso Duralde) and whoo boy are the comments a cesspit. I love how people are already getting indignant over a negative review of a film they haven't even feckin' seen yet.

The same thing happened when Dark Knight Rises came out. What's the deal with some Nolan fan(atic)s?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    Just read a negative review from a critic I quite like (Alonso Duralde) and whoo boy are the comments a cesspit. I love how people are already getting indignant over a negative review of a film they haven't even feckin' seen yet.

The same thing happened when Dark Knight Rises came out. What's the deal with some Nolan fan(atic)s?

Do you remember the car crash DKR thread on here? Good times :pac:

Yep, let's not forget too that that was the film that was responsible for Rotten Tomatoes shutting down comments on reviews. :D

e_e wrote: »
    Yep, let's not forget too that that was the film that was responsible for Rotten Tomatoes shutting down comments on reviews. :D

That's quite a pity!
    I think the first time I ever dabbled in comments was The Dark Knight.
    I saw that it had gotten knocked from a 96% - 95% based on one new review a few months after the movie came out.

"I can't believe you knocked it down a percent"
    "This movie deserved 96, and you've ruined it. Hope you're proud"
    There were other less polite comments.

If I was to criticise one thing about Chris Nolan; he brings the worst out of Chris Nolan fans!!!

Recently was put in charge of the rota in work, what's the first thing I do?
    Put myself in all day on the 7th November. Schoolboy stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The fun part about a new Nolan film is the rabid response from those who attack others for disliking a film of his :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm enjoying this thread while it's still viable as a legitimate source of debate, taking in the dripfeed of info coming from these early reviews. Once the movie hits, I expect it to follow suit with all Nolan based threads and turn into a sh*tstorm of fanatics and contrariness. It's going to be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Don't be so ridiculously insulting. Whatever happened to having an opinion on something? Keep scouring those reviews, I'm sure you'll find one that meets your requirements....of a film that you haven't seen yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bizarrely, the Guardian comment section underneath the middling review seems to be the 'everyone hates Christopher Nolan' club - reading the first page and you'd swear he's widely considered as a joke. The internet is a confusing place sometimes, and doubly so when it comes to this man's films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it has come up in other threads, discussed elsewhere with consensus reached, but I do wonder what it is about Nolan and his form that he causes such outrage and zealous defense to the point of internet meltdown? I can't think of another high-profile director that causes the same levels of seismic arguments and vitriol, yet with each Nolan flick, the same arguments come out. It's weird.

People can debate the merits or failings of a crowd-pleasing auteur like Scorsese in relative peace and happiness, yet with Nolan? Dear god you better nail wood against the windows because it's going to get vicious out there.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe it has come up in other threads, discussed elsewhere with consensus reached, but I do wonder what it is about Nolan and his form that he causes such outrage and zealous defense to the point of internet meltdown? I can't think of another high-profile director that causes the same levels of seismic arguments and vitriol, yet with each Nolan flick, the same arguments come out. It's weird.

People can debate the merits or failings of a crowd-pleasing auteur like Scorsese in relative peace and happiness, yet with Nolan? Dear god you better nail wood against the windows because it's going to get vicious out there.

I think it's because when he's good he's very very good. That plus the fact that most of his films are sci-fi or Batman, hell hath no fury than a geek scorned :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Christopher Nolan films are, above all, different - when the blockbuster films that are very obviously the result of a singular director rather than a committee are thin on the ground (Gravity probably being the last one - even stuff like Edge of Tomorrow could effectively have been directed by anyone that was sufficiently competent, and that's doubly true of Marvel films), Christopher Nolan undoubtedly stands out. And as with almost everything that is 'different', there will always be detractors, and there will always be supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Christopher Nolan films are, above all, different - when the blockbuster films that are very obviously the result of a singular director rather than a committee are thin on the ground (Gravity probably being the last one - even stuff like Edge of Tomorrow could effectively have been directed by anyone that was sufficiently competent, and that's doubly true of Marvel films), Christopher Nolan undoubtedly stands out. And as with almost everything that is 'different', there will always be detractors, and there will always be supporters.

A bit harsh on Edge of Tomorrow, I think. I'm not saying it's necessarily a brilliant film but it is a really good example of a modern blockbuster done right.

And from what I've read it was Liman who insisted on two aspects that were critical to it's success - the insistence on as much 'in camera' action as possible and the generous sprinkling of humour.

But I get your general point - allot of directors are brought in with the 'package' already well developed. They have to sell to the producers/studios that they can deliver on the package they're touting for. Even with Edge of Tomorrow, Cruise made clear in interviews that he was involved in hiring Liman for the film - he was already down to star in and produce it.

Very rare for directors to have the vision and clout to develop their films from the ground up the way Nolan and Cameron do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why would ye read reviews? By all means dig deep into review city after you've seen it yourself, but I'd hate to create the possibility that any critical idea is lingering in my mind while watching the film.

quad_red wrote: »
    A bit harsh on Edge of Tomorrow, I think. I'm not saying it's necessarily a brilliant film but it is a really good example of a modern blockbuster done right.

And from what I've read it was Liman who insisted on two aspects that were critical to it's success - the insistence on as much 'in camera' action as possible and the generous sprinkling of humour.

But I get your general point - allot of directors are brought in with the 'package' already well developed. They have to sell to the producers/studios that they can deliver on the package they're touting for. Even with Edge of Tomorrow, Cruise made clear in interviews that he was involved in hiring Liman for the film - he was already down to star in and produce it.

Very rare for directors to have the vision and clout to develop their films from the ground up the way Nolan and Cameron do.

I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying Doug Liman had no role in Edge of Tomorrow's success (although I thought it was a limited success: an inventive first half let down significantly by a lesser second, but that's an argument for another thread ;)). Those two aspects, especially the humour, are not insignificant in allowing Edge of Tomorrow become something better than average. But I also think that if you took the same script, the same cast etc... and handed it to another solid but ultimately unremarkable director (say someone like Neill Blomkamp or Matt Reeves, to pick two examples of the top of my head) you'd more than likely end up with a film that wouldn't be particularly better or worse or radically different to Liman's effort. If, purely hypothetically, you handed it to Christopher Nolan, James Cameron or even Michael Bay (we can say what we want, but the man is an 'auteur'), you would I'd expect end up with a very different film, and one that would be influenced more directly by the director. (I actually think I'm just agreeing with you there :P)

Put it this way: while Interstellar will likely give academics and critics more to consider and ponder on when looking at Christopher Nolan's wider filmography, Edge of Tomorrow doesn't really feed into our knowledge of Doug Liman's style and concerns. Sadly Hollywood is dominated by workmanlike directors (often through no fault of their own, but merely the machinations of the industry) - who might well do a very good job given the limitations they're working with, but will ultimately never transcend them. A handful of directors - I'm thinking Brad Bird and JJ Abrams - thrive within the blockbuster realm, as their aesthetics particularly suit a grand canvas. People like Christopher Nolan and Alfonso Cuaron, though, are operating on a different level altogether, which as the Little White Lies article articulates well, can be a bit disheartening, even if ultimately you're not a fan of the films themselves.

• Advertisement

Don't be so ridiculously insulting. Whatever happened to having an opinion on something? Keep scouring those reviews, I'm sure you'll find one that meets your requirements....of a film that you haven't seen yet.

Come on , don't take me so seriously, It's tongue in cheek humour here .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'm over in London the week after next so decided to book a ticket to see this in the BFI Imax. Can't wait, have never been in an Imax screening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So this is not going to be near the Batman trilogy, it is more in line with The Prestige and Inception, and what I took from those movies are that I enjoyed them the first time but had to watch them again and again and got something new each time I watch them. The only reviewer I will forward to reading his thoughts on Interstellar will be Mark Kamode. I look forward to seeing this and making my own mind up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

So this is not going to be near the Batman trilogy, it is more in line with The Prestige and Inception, and what I took from those movies are that I enjoyed them the first time but had to watch them again and again and got something new each time I watch them. The only reviewer I will forward to reading his thoughts on Interstellar will be Mark Kamode. I look forward to seeing this and making my own mind up!

Another thing, I kind of disliked how on the posters and ads they only say 'Director of The Dark Knight Trilogy' instead of The Prestige and Inception, they could've at least included a mention of those. Not a big deal but it'd be good for people who are unaware of Nolan's past movies. 'Director of Memento and The Prestige' as a title would be the best for him

suits me, greatest film ever made imo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Bizarrely, the Guardian comment section underneath the middling review seems to be the 'everyone hates Christopher Nolan' club - reading the first page and you'd swear he's widely considered as a joke. The internet is a confusing place sometimes, and doubly so when it comes to this man's films.

Guardian is a bit of snobbish place to be fair johnny (they were taking pot shots at the reviewer who gave Inherent Vice a 5 star review, calling Anderson a hack and how dare he adapt thomas pynchon ) I think the reviewer reading his review isn't much of a Nolan fan before this so it doesn't help :pac:.

All top directors even Kubrick (2001 and many of his films after weren't loved by the critics) so its a strange old world when it comes to punters and critics. some directors are bulletproof and I think Nolan is at the forefront at that. Some critics want to be "cool" and take pot shots but some give thoughtful and great opinions on why they don't like it, although apart from Indiewire I haven't seen truly hateful reviews some critics just didn't give it 5/5 or an A, so some think its a bad thing.

Nolan is a genius director (sorry I am a Fan boy :pac:) and apart from him and Paul Thomas Anderson, they are the only directors that films are Events for me that push the limits of filmmaking in Hollywood. They deliver Art. I think The Dark Knight Trilogy (yes the Dark Knight Rises has faults), Memento, The Prestige and Inception are some of the greatest films produced in America cinema and they are smart and don't dumb down things.

Another thing, I kind of disliked how on the posters and ads they only say 'Director of The Dark Knight Trilogy' instead of The Prestige and Inception, they could've at least included a mention of those. Not a big deal but it'd be good for people who are unaware of Nolan's past movies. 'Director of Memento and The Prestige' as a title would be the best for him

Well Those films made the big money and bought in normal non cinepiles (although Inception made over 900 million). I still think The Prestige is hugely underrated and Memento is one of the greatest film ever made in the 00's. They would work better on the poster but I see why the studios and PR people did it as a normal punter would know Nolan for the Batman films.

And as with almost everything that is 'different', there will always be detractors, and there will always be supporters.

Wait once everyone sees it once the release on November 7th, I think this thread will end up the busiest and most split opinion thread on the Film Forum :pac:. Nolan films always brings in the biggest detractors I've ever seen for a filmmaker. The Dark Knight Rises thread was one of the most argumentative threads I think we ever had.

suits me, greatest film ever made imo ...

Seconded!

All you have to do is check every "Best Movie Ever" thread etc and you'll find me say as much!

• Advertisement

I'm presuming there will be separate threads for Seen and Not Seen

Advertisement