Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 11 "beautiful" girls on The Saturday Night Show Last Night.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't see the show but from the pic on the first page (and allowing for the ridiculous use of make-up) there's 2 or 3 that aren't too bad! I wouldn't class the one on the bottom right as being "obese" or whatever for example.

But that's just me.. I work in an environment where there's lots of very slim women walking about the place and most of em would do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

6781 wrote: »
    The vast majority of fat people are fat because they are lazy and have poor diets. So there is no excuse for it.
    I think laziness is a perfectly valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Shenshen wrote: »
    Some more than others ;)

Source for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I do.
    She's very good looking.
    Not Irish though, so don't know if that counts.

This is AH - you know that doesn't mean a damp squid withotu pics!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Source for this??

George Orwell, Animal Farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And there's your strawman right there :D. The sophisticated souls I quoted seemed to be refering to overwieght women in general. I'm curious to know how many of them have perfectly attractive girlfriends or wivfes.
    only the middle quote.

Surely the other two posters were referring to the women from the OP only, and not speaking generally?

George Orwell, Animal Farm.

Uhh lol ok Mr. cycle-13-miles-and-swim-2-miles-every-day-but-somehow-is-still-morbidly-obese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I do.
    She's very good looking.

Is her name Handi McHand?

osarusan wrote: »
    only the middle quote.

Surely the other two posters were referring to the women from the OP only, and not speaking generally?

You seriously think they other two are only refering to the girls in the photo and are happy to date overweight girls who aren't...? Because I did not get that impression, I have to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You seriously think they other two are only refering to the girls in the photo and are happy to date overweight girls who aren't...? Because I did not get that impression, I have to be honest!
    when the other poster pointed out that these are women whose weight is not incidental to their career and place in the media, you said they were referring to overweight women in general. They weren't.

I wouldn't disagree with your inference, but it's not what they said.

You, ironically, are the one building the strawman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And there's your strawman right there :D. The sophisticated souls I quoted seemed to be refering to overwieght women in general. I'm curious to know how many of them have perfectly attractive girlfriends or wivfes.
    I do.
    She's very good looking.

Made in Hong Kong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Uhh lol ok Mr. cycle-13-miles-and-swim-2-miles-every-day-but-somehow-is-still-morbidly-obese

That'll be Mrs to you, thanks very much.

That'll be Mrs to you, thanks very much.

Uhh lol ok Mrs. cycle-13-miles-and-swim-2-miles-every-day-but-somehow-is-still-morbidly-obese

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Some more than others ;)

Ahh nuts, I had a reply all typed out, damn page refresh, but I'm glad I saw the reply down below too as my comment would have been somewhat related, so I'll take 'em both on -

I don't see how that's a strawman tbh. Those posters you quoted never claimed to be sophisticated, nor do they have to make any justifications about their partners physical appearance, as those are simply not relevant to the discussion. Those posters haven't put themselves, nor their partners, in the public eye to be judged. They were referring specifically to the women in the OP who HAVE put themselves up to be judged. Here is my problem with that -

These women claim to represent a section of society that has very little representation. In doing so, they're not talking about representing women for their intellectual abilities. No, they're talking about 'inspiring confidence in women'... by having them get their bloody kit off and get fake n baked! I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that's inspiring anything only exploitation of women, and giving permission for people who don't actually care about people, to run their mouth off at anyone who doesn't meet their standards of physical perfection.

People who aren't so body confident will still cover up as they always did, and will still be subjected to the same humiliation they always were, and will still suffer the same crippling self-confidence issues they always did, and now, because of a handful of space cadets (I'm sorry, but they really do seem to be either unable, or unwilling, to realise their own short-sightedness, perhaps because they're blinded by the immediate validation from the publicity they're getting as somewhat of a novelty) getting their kit off and proclaiming to the world their existence, more and more overweight people are going to stand out like sore thumbs and be subject to even more ridicule and derision, the only catcall I don't think they'll hear is "Get your kit off!".

That's all this is, to me at least, is an exercise in exploiting people, and call me a cynic but Debenhams have tried it, Gok Wan has tried it, and now it's the turn of some other woman to make money off exploiting people's insecurities by telling them they look great, lets all get naked and butter up. What these people are doing is creating an artificial market from a niche one. These women who celebrate being fat are a very, very niche market, they're a fetish, and that's really all they'll ever be, because the vast, vast majority of overweight women, certainly those that I've met anyway, they're all fun and bubbly on the outside, and they really are great fun, but spend any amount of time around them at all, and it turns out they're just as likely to be insecure about themselves as anyone else you'll meet, be they skinny, fat, tall, short, black, white, etc.

No doubt these are real women, of course they are, but do they portray a realistic representation of women? Damn right they don't, because having looked at their bio's on their modelling agencies website (surprised to see that one of them is only seventeen! I think they should all be at least eighteen!), there isn't a mention of their intellectual ability or any reference to their personally beyond the overused and tiresome stereotype - "bubbly and fun", because of course, every fat person is only bubbly and fun and has nothing else going for them whatsoever.

Defend these women by all means if that's your thing, but you're just as guilty of exploiting these women and allowing them to think they represent women, as the people who you criticise for judging them based on their appearance. What other way is there to judge them when they WANT people to be judged for their appearance?

There's nothing special or unique about being fat, it's not an achievement, and it shouldn't be encouraged as something to be proud of. Any idiot can do it. There's something special and unique though about someone that's able to use their brain, and actually does something to help other people, not just helping themselves and claiming that what they're doing is for anyone else's benefit.

These women don't care that ordinary Joan Soap will get cat called and harassed today, they only care about drawing attention to themselves, and that's why they don't care that they'll draw criticism from the public about their appearance, because they're surrounded by people that reassure them they look fab (as cash cows, no pun intended). Ordinary people don't have that sort of support and validation, and that's why I don't like the likes of these "real women" anything campaigns, because they're not a real representation of women when they think it's a good idea to get their kit off and put it all out there in the media. That's not going to change public perception, it's just giving people permission to laugh openly at the freak show, and then when they go out in public themselves, they perceive everyone to be a free-for-all for their amusement based on nothing more than their physical appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If they make a lucrative living as models they wont care what sort of reaction they get its all publicity, the more publicity the more money they make, laughing all the way to the bank is the expression.

The mere fact that they put themselves forward for modelling and did that semi nude shot means they are confidant in themselves.

The thing people often forget about plus size models is that they are still models!! and would generally be tall and very good looking, they no more represent the average over weight woman that 'normal' models represent women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Tarzana wrote: »
    It's interesting because when the show started, they were slim with gorgeous curvy but trim figures. And yet this still wasn't good enough and they felt the pressure to drop loads of weight. :( Hollywood sucks ASS. I believe at various times, both Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence were considered chubby in Hollywood. I recall a Julianne Moore quote where she basically said that actresses are constantly hungry and have to get used to that.

Our models here in Ireland would be considered fat on the international modelling stage. Hence why they rarely graduate to successful international careers. But generally, I think they have great figures. Slim but with curves and whilst they would watch their figures, they'd clearly also enjoy a blowout meal every now and then.

Where'sshegone? Come baaaaack!!

mariaalice wrote: »
    If they make a lucrative living as models they wont care what sort of reaction they get its all publicity, the more publicity the more money they make, laughing all the way to the bank is the expression..

That's not really relevant though. The problem is that they are advocating an unhealthy lifestyle, seems like a lot of people are missing the point here

That's not really relevant though. The problem is that they are advocating an unhealthy lifestyle, seems like a lot of people are missing the point here

I am not sure they themselves are doing that, its the way the publicity around them works its their USP so to speak and that's to do with the media.

Do you seriously expect them to turn down a money making career just because it sends out the wrong message?

I am not sure they themselves are doing that, its the way the publicity around them works its their USP so to speak and that's to do with the media.

Do you seriously expect them to turn down a money making career just because its sends out the wrong message?

Of course, sorry I probably wasn't very clear. I'm absolutely not blaming the women. If someone offered me a wheelbarrow full of money to go on tv and talk ****e to brendan o connor for 20 mins of course I would do it.

But the message they are sending is dangerous and I think we should agree that their lifestyle choices have clearly made them very unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think whatever anybody finds attractive or unattractive is absolutely fine and not open to interpretation or question by others. You like what you like and you don't like what you don't like - there is really no more to it than that.
    I'm not attracted to any of those women, I think the redhead is ok, but that's about it. Some people I'm sure think they are all gorgeous, beauty after all is in the eye of the beholder, there are no absolutes. That's just how it goes. I don't see the problem with stating the truth?

• Advertisement

Of course, sorry I probably wasn't very clear. I'm absolutely not blaming the women. If someone offered me a wheelbarrow full of money to go on tv and talk ****e to brendan o connor for 20 mins of course I would do it.

But the message they are sending is dangerous and I think we should agree that their lifestyle choices have clearly made them very unhealthy.

But what do you want to do about it or what should be done about it?

They are models ( i.e they are taller and better looking that the 'average woman' ) They went on TV and stayed on message with their USB( body acceptance )

The media and the fashion world don't care what message they give our its all about what sells and to sell you need publicity.

Every one knows being over weight has health implications, following your logic plus size models should be banned because they give our the wrong message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Didn't open any links.

Are they fat or phat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Defend these women by all means if that's your thing, but you're just as guilty of exploiting these women and allowing them to think they represent women, as the people who you criticise for judging them based on their appearance. What other way is there to judge them when they WANT people to be judged for their appearance?

There's nothing special or unique about being fat, it's not an achievement, and it shouldn't be encouraged as something to be proud of. Any idiot can do it. There's something special and unique though about someone that's able to use their brain, and actually does something to help other people, not just helping themselves and claiming that what they're doing is for anyone else's benefit.

Ah, this. Reminded me of an issue I had a while back that not many people seemed to spot. When Susan Boyle was auditioning, everybody thought she was wonderful and amazing and she had a standing ovation and she became one of the most celebrated people overnight. Was it because she was a good singer? It was not. It was because she was a good singer and she did not look like the type of person they thought should have talent. The irony of the situation was this: the people who ranted and raved so much about her actually showed themselves up as the shallow individuals they are. If she had been skinny...good-looking...personable...the amazing voice would not have surprised them, because they would have expected her to be talented, successful etc. But, they looked at her. They saw someone who was not young. Not pretty. Not particularly a people person. They judged her for this. They expected her to be a freak show. She was not a freak show. This surprised them so much they got to their feet to support her. They demonstrated the very thing that they so fervently believe they guard against. Her achievements (and I have no wish to detract from them) are no greater than those of a young, slim, "tick all the boxes" good singer - but they are more celebrated - reinforcing the idea all the time that she is not supposed to achieve so much because of who she is. The more you celebrate her, the more you hammer home this belief system.

And very few people can see the irony in this.

They are models ( i.e they are taller and better looking that the 'average woman' ) They went on TV and stayed on message with their USB.

The media and the fashion world don't care what message they give our its all about what sells and to sell you need publicity.

Every one knows being over weight has health implications, following your logic plus size models should be banned because they give our the wrong message.

They are 100% below average attractiveness for women, I would very much doubt if their height had any bearing in their selection. All I'm saying is there seems to be a fairly prominent group of people here supporting their message and this "campaign" which seems crazy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Would people therefore find Jo Brand talented?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭AndreaCollins

amazing stuff. some of those girls were hideous. you won't see fat male models but you see fat female models flaunting themselves. Crazy stuff.

They are 100% below average attractiveness for women, I would very much doubt if their height had any bearing in their selection. All I'm saying is there seems to be a fairly prominent group of people here supporting their message and this "campaign" which seems crazy to me

They don't have a 'campaign' don't you understand that its all publicity its manufactured by the model agency, for all we know some of them might actually feel they are unhealthy and could do with losing weight, but they are not going to say that in public they have to stay on message to stay employed by the model agency.

Their height is very much the point you have to be at least 5.8 tall to be a plus size model which in turn is much taller that the average woman.

Beauty is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I would like to see these people encouraged to adopt a healthy lifestyle and encourage other people adopt a healthy lifestyle, rather than promoting the unrealistic notion that becoming or being overweight will ever be acceptable in society.

They are models ( i.e they are taller and better looking that the 'average woman' ) They went on TV and stayed on message with their USB( body acceptance )

They're models because they're fat. Being fat is not a USP in any language. Anyone can be fat. Their USP is that they are apparently proud of being overweight.

Fill anyone with enough proseco, butter them up and stick them in the spotlight for their moment of glory. I can see the attraction for these women who wouldn't normally get so much attention, but that doesn't mean you're doing them any favours when you're lining your own pockets off the back of their insecurities.

They're not any taller actually than any average woman, more of them are actually hovering around the five foot mark (in height), but stick a pair of six inch heels on any girl and she instantly becomes taller. They're not any more or less attractive than any woman either, they just have their make up, hair, and clothes done by professionals. Again, who wouldn't feel good about themselves with that sort of individual attention? Does every overweight woman get that sort of individual professional attention?

To sell, you need to make people buy into your product. These women are a product, nothing more. Dress them up and make them look pretty, and then make it look like your motives are all altruistic like saying that your product represents 45% of all women...

No, it represents the less than 1% of women whom you have convinced that being overweight is something they should feel proud of...

It's a free market, so plus size models are unlikely to be banned, but their practices should be discouraged in the same way as high fashion houses and magazines are discouraged from exploiting women for profit.

osarusan wrote: »
    only the middle quote.

More of a misplaced assumption, I'd have said, but I see youor point: still think it unlikely yhat they were referring only to the girls in the photo (who, to be honest, are not at all bad looking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I would like to see these people encouraged to adopt a healthy lifestyle and encourage other people adopt a healthy lifestyle, rather than promoting the unrealistic notion that becoming or being overweight will ever be acceptable in society.

They're models because they're fat. Being fat is not a USP in any language. Anyone can be fat. Their USP is that they are apparently proud of being overweight.

Fill anyone with enough proseco, butter them up and stick them in the spotlight for their moment of glory. I can see the attraction for these women who wouldn't normally get so much attention, but that doesn't mean you're doing them any favours when you're lining your own pockets off the back of their insecurities.

They're not any taller actually than any average woman, more of them are actually hovering around the five foot mark (in height), but stick a pair of six inch heels on any girl and she instantly becomes taller. They're not any more or less attractive than any woman either, they just have their make up, hair, and clothes done by professionals. Again, who wouldn't feel good about themselves with that sort of individual attention? Does every overweight woman get that sort of individual professional attention?

To sell, you need to make people buy into your product. These women are a product, nothing more. Dress them up and make them look pretty, and then make it look like your motives are all altruistic like saying that your product represents 45% of all women...

No, it represents the less than 1% of women whom you have convinced that being overweight is something they should feel proud of...

It's a free market, so plus size models are unlikely to be banned, but their practices should be discouraged in the same way as high fashion houses and magazines are discouraged from exploiting women for profit.

Do you feel the same about underweight models?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement