Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Have you got that on vcds yet rizzee? I'll be back in meath tomorrow night. If you want I can plug it in Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I went up today on my lunch, he said something along the lines of the engine intake manifold was fooked and had to sort that out, he's collecting a sensor this evening for it too, also needs the lambda sensor sorted (was done by 1st mechanic).

He said the L/sensor was near 200 Euro! Doesn't have a price for the lot yet but I'm going up to collect it tomorrow or Wednesday after work... Heard it started up today sounds back to normal now. Small hole in exhaust needs to be sorted for nct but that's not til next year. Really hope it's not gonna cost a bomb for all this!!

Interslice wrote: »
    Have you got that on vcds yet rizzee? I'll be back in meath tomorrow night. If you want I can plug it in Wednesday.

Thanks a mil for the offer, much appreciated :)

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the offer, much appreciated :)

No worries. Hopefully it comes back sorted. I got a lambda sensor for a 1.4 for half that up in durcans. Wasn't more than 120E. Probably a bit late now though.

Interslice wrote: »
    No worries. Hopefully it comes back sorted. I got a lambda sensor for a 1.4 for half that up in durcans. Wasn't more than 120E. Probably a bit late now though.

Yeah he said it was an expensive enough part. Sure I'll be asking for receipts for everything. :)

• Advertisement

Started hearing the grinding of metal on metal from the back left of the car yesterday. Feckin seized caliper :(. Otherside pads are only half gone :eek:. The whole alloy was warm when I went to take it off.

28gqqes.jpg

35klrbd.jpg

Through to the metal and fallen apart from the heat. The car was through an NCT less than a month ago :rolleyes:. For a safety test they really don't check the brakes very well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Changed the dipped bulb in the passat today the bulb was stuck. So took a bit longer than I though. Will give it a full service next week when I am not busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

brought mine into the garage to get checked over.

Mysterious vanishing coolant. can't find any sign of it at all.

Figuring head gasket, but none of the usual symptoms.

hoping mech will do a pressure test and see for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

truedoom wrote: »
    brought mine into the garage to get checked over.

Mysterious vanishing coolant. can't find any sign of it at all.

Figuring head gasket, but none of the usual symptoms.

hoping mech will do a pressure test and see for certain.

Could be head gasket or have you noticed your floor wet or anything?
    Leaky heater matrix is common enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Time I poked my head in! This is bodge time :D

Having brimmed my car earlier today, I noticed a very strong smell of petrol on returning home. It was only when the father said to me he could smell it from the front door, I knew it was bad. Being very tight on time and needing the car later that night, I set to work changing my wheels and tracing the source of the leak.

It didn't take long to find the culprit: a breather pipe for the fuel tank. It was perished with age
    15237642937_70590c3d8f_h.jpg

With careful placing of funnels, I had to empty and collect all the petrol in the filler neck and return breather. Just a drop or 2 spilled, I collected about 4 litres :cool:
    15424183685_63832219b5_h.jpg

Just 2 snap clips hold it, once released off it pops
    15237419149_8392116d05_h.jpg

There were multiple cracks in the pipe, it had done well to last this long! Which posed another problem: I had to find a replacement and fast. Before long I find this lump of an Alfa Romeo....
    15237627057_2bd020ed07_h.jpg

Hacked it to suit and shoved on 2 jubilee clips, refilled the petril. Done :D
    15237574028_9db9a3e18e_h.jpg

Got my wheels all changed too, too dark to show a pic. I'll be refurbing the 17" wheels as soon as I can :)

Getting all that done resulted in me going on my merry way later and being very, very satisfied at the end of it all.... Good old Mercedes :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So the avensis was due an oil change so I tackled it today.
    Halfords had a sale on oil a few months back so I bought a few bottles. They were €15 but I had an extra 10% from a discount code so I got them for 13.50 a bottle for fullly synthetic 5w30. Filter from micksgarage was €2.80. So the service cost €16.80.

Unfortunately I had the battery tested as I didnt like the sound of the car starting and it was on its last legs - changed that today. When looking around the car I also noticed the drive belt is looking a little rough. Thats a job for tomorrow.

This morning it wouldnt start. I took out the battery and had her tested. Battery was fine. Put my mother in the car and pushed it down the road and she kicked into life. Getting my own one repaired Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Took off the throttle body and idle air control valve to clean it as the internet tells me that might be causing the humming noise from my engine. The left coolant port was clogged almost solid with corrosion. Will put it back in the morning to see if it worked.

SbNrLF3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Did you get new gaskets for it? It's recommended.

22271-22030 - throttle body gasket, 3.30 + VAT

22215-74400 - ICV gasket, 3.80 + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

nice I did the iacv and tb on mine about 2 weeks ago and noticed a massive difference !! used brake cleaner to clean em out ( dont know if its recommended) but the amount of carbon build up was unbelievable , should have gotten before/after pics !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »

The old ones should be fine as long as they are not damaged.

Unregistered Users

I wouldn't risk, it's just a tenner. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I wouldn't risk, it's just a tenner. ;)

Have taken many of those off and never had a problem with any gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Nope, thanks I might get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This is definitely an instance of newer isn't always better, well over an hour spent changing my battery in the 740.

New 105Ah Banner AGM battery:

b2_zpse43e1c16.jpg~original

b1_zpsf1dcf62f.jpg~original

Old one is stored in the boot like a lot of cars, right down at the bottom beside the spare wheel. Removing the jack and carry tray reveals it:

WP_20141005_0122_zps66214df1.jpg~original

Unknown to me, the new battery is considerably larger, thank god the car can accept three different sizes. The white labelled battery is the original from 2005:

WP_20141005_0111_zps827ed797.jpg~original

New battery slides in from the wheel well:

WP_20141005_0163_zps97a32151.jpg~original

Spare goes back in:

WP_20141005_0184_zpse2437f11.jpg~original

Then an hour messing around with BMW DIS software to register the new battery with the car's power module. What took so long was me scouring the software for an option to register the new higher amperage. There is none in DIS.

Will have to look into the other programs I have.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

[...] an hour messing around with BMW DIS software to register the new battery with the car's power module. What took so long was me scouring the software for an option to register the new higher amperage. There is none in DIS.

[...]
    One of those moments I'm happy to have an old car. No messing up with registering battery thing (lol). Old one out, new one in, off ya go! :p

With the starter sorted, today I found water in the boot.

Did some digging and tracked the leak back to the lights.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57394589/20141006_153231.jpg
    which are full of water
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57394589/20141006_153228.jpg
    Put it all back together after
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57394589/20141006_153437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Something in the Bora is draining the battery.

15274294288_3ba53f7da1_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Dodgy alternator perhaps? Something you wired in?

Dodgy alternator perhaps? Something you wired in?

I'm guessing it's the cheap chinese head unit. If it's not driven for 2 days then it doesn't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Might be that, i guess it's a trial and error sorta thing

Unplug the radio the next time your planning to leave it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

GvidoR wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's the cheap chinese head unit. If it's not driven for 2 days then it doesn't start.
    Is the ignition switch hooked up to the radio to turn it on and off automarically?

Unplug the radio the next time your planning to leave it for a few days.

Yeah, I'll try that.

• Advertisement

Today was my final day with the Golf. Accepted deposit the weekend, phone was off the hook. It's being collected tomorrow morning.

Hope to turn back up here with something nice in the next few weeks!

Advertisement