Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If they aren't too baked a polishing compound will work wonders on them(much better than toothpaste)

If they are well baked they will have to be sanded and polished.

There's a guide here on how do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If they aren't too baked a polishing compound will work wonders on them(much better than toothpaste)

Thanks for that, might give it a try over the weekend. There's something that sounds very odd about sanding a lens but it obviously works. I just wonder how long the clear coat will last...

Sitec wrote: »

Thanks for that, might give it a try over the weekend. There's something that sounds very odd about sanding a lens but it obviously works. I just wonder how long the clear coat will last...

1 year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You don't need to sand it at all. You don't even need to use 3 different polishes but they do in the video to sell more.

Just give them a polish and add protection.

Also, that guy's voice is VERY annoying!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You don't need to sand it at all. You don't even need to use 3 different polishes but they do in the video to sell more.

I didn't mind his voice. I find English accents very annoying in men and some women. One of the reasons I stopped watching Game of Thrones after episode 2 season 1. The accents just went through me, very irritating.

• Advertisement

You'll need to sand them if the are bad. Simple polishing won't suffice in bad cases, it will clear them up a bit alrite but they will be very patchy.

I agree that you won't need to use 3 grades of polish but I seriously doubt that he's doing it to sell more.

There is no denying that using the 3 grades of polish gives the very best results and doing a video he understandably wants to show people how to do it correctly and how to get those best results.

You might find that guy annoying, but to be fair he is a pro and seems to be very good at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You might find that guy annoying, but to be fair he is a pro and seems to be very good at what he does.

I think you overlooked once point, mm is also a pro and very good at what he does :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    I think you overlooked once point, mm is also a pro and very good at what he does :)

I didn't overlook anything :p I'm aware that MM is :) but guy in the vid is correct in sanding those lights.

That wasn't my point there at the end though. My point was that while some might find that guy annoying, some of his some videos are very informative and helpful.

Simple polishing will suffice, I've done it many times before with absolutely no patchiness. Sanding is good when there's deep scratches or stone damage rather than just cloudiness. Not saying it can't be done but there's no point when you're only dealing with cloudiness.

Also, I only said his voice was annoying. Never once said anything about him being uninformative or unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

is "pro" a self appointed title in the detailing world or how do you become a professional detailer? is it a case i could i go "pro" by cleaning cars in my spare time for a few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think it was Jesse from Wolfs chemicals did a 5 series BMW lately by sanding and spraying some 2 pack lacquer on them. Stunning result.

Here you go >> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.767099766673930.1073741833.715131788537395&type=1

is "pro" a self appointed title in the detailing world or how do you become a professional detailer? is it a case i could i go "pro" by cleaning cars in my spare time for a few years?

Do Courses I suppose, not sure they are available in this country though, they are in the US and canada.

Simple polishing will suffice, I've done it many times before with absolutely no patchiness. Sanding is good when there's deep scratches or stone damage rather than just cloudiness. Not saying it can't be done but there's no point when you're only dealing with cloudiness.

Also, I only said his voice was annoying. Never once said anything about him being uninformative or unhelpful.

By hand or with a polisher? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭vectra

He is not.
    He's a chancer :D

By hand or with a polisher? :)

With a polisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Automatic transmission decided to break down on me suddenly in Cork, only 5th gear and reverse available, not cool.

Local garage on the Monahan Road in Cork worked til 20:30 this evening to fit it so I could make it back to Dublin tonight.

Mission accomplished. Fingers crossed it is going to hold. Seems strong so far. Even fuel consumption has improved by about 20-25%. It was down since the last few months I could not understand, O2 sensors, MAF etc were fine.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

I've an odd question to ask. I'm looking into upgrading my turbo on my a6 diesel. Is it ridiculous money or should I even consider it. Plan on keeping her a long while so wanna get the most out of it

bazery wrote: »
    I've an odd question to ask. I'm looking into upgrading my turbo on my a6 diesel. Is it ridiculous money or should I even consider it. Plan on keeping her a long while so wanna get the most out of it

What power gains are you looking to achieve?

If you only want 20-30bhp get it remapped.
    If your looking for more then it's not just turbo.
    Your looking at turbo, injectors, intercooler and possibly a manifold.
    It's all about what you want to achieve though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

'bombed' the interior. Not everyone's cup of tea I guess, but I like it so yeah...

15113310228_e86b59b9a3_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I do not see any bombing??

• Advertisement

Around the tablet.

If there is one thing i hate :)

How much is left, bet you're itching to do the bonnet and roof etc.

Edit: no the fuel cap!!! :pac :

If there is one thing i hate :)

How much is left, bet you're itching to do the bonnet and roof etc.

Edit: no the fuel cap!!! :pac :

No no. I'm not planning any bombing on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Centre caps.

Edit: Hub caps. :p

GvidoR wrote: »
    No no. I'm not planning any bombing on the outside.

The military bombs stuff man, you wrapped something :)

The military bombs stuff man, you wrapped something :)

It's called stickerbombing and since I used a few different stickers and cut each one of them, it wasn't really wrapping... I guess.

GvidoR wrote: »
    It's called stickerbombing and since I used a few different stickers and cut each one of them, it wasn't really wrapping... I guess.

Oh i assumed you just bought that wrap copy stuff! :)

Oh i assumed you just bought that wrap copy stuff! :)

That'd be cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    [...] Photos will be shot and posted later this weekend. :)

As promised.

jou's mcphersons disassembly method. Top mount onto its usual place:

322822.jpg

Hydraulic jack under shock:

322823.jpg

Lifted up a bit, nut removed, jack down, all fell apart without problem. :)

Rubber bits need to be replaced alright. Old vs. new:

322824.jpg

Rusted coil springs need sandpaper and wire brush.

Genuine jou's coil spring cleaning station (patents pending ;) ):

322825.jpg

Sandpaper (#100) and wire brush involved:

322827.jpg

Will be painted tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

bazery wrote: »

Get a decat and remap. It will feel much better

Advertisement