Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

There's alot more options in the phablet market than these two. Have you heard of the Oneplus one? its a 5.5 inch screen with brilliant performance. Similarly the LG G3 and LG G pro two are also great devices with the Pro 2 offering a 5.9 inch screen.

Sony offer the Xperia Z ultra which packs a massive 6.4 inch display. Also if windows OS isnt a problem its probably worth checking out the Lumia 1520.

Never been as many options for people looking for larger screen phones.

That's true, I was only thinking of here and directly from the operators (have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I was at the Samsung Alpha launch event last night. They happened to have quick demos on the GEAR VR and as such the Note 4 inside. Got a brief look at the Note 4.

After trying the VR demos as well. I can tell you the display is pretty epic and looking forward to getting the Note 4. I know a lot of the new multi-tasking features will make their way to the Note 3 eventually or quicker if some ROMS are cooked up with support.

The GEAR VR is also something I'm looking forward too. It's still mad to think that the Oculus DK2 actually uses the entire front panel of the Note 3. Hopefully that want cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

vibe666 wrote: »
    I've got both the Note3 and an OPO in daily use now and aside from the stylus, you've be hard pushed to choose between them tbh, if anything the OPO has the lead in a few areas like battery life and performance, although some of that is probably down to Samsung bloat.

I would of thought the Note 3 display is much better than the OPO? A few friends have the OPO and I must say the display is fairly lacklustre imo, then again I do like the samsung amoled screens and the vibrant sometimes saturated colours that go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i would have expected so too, but i don't think there's a huge amount in it personally. mind you, i'm a very heavy user so i do have to keep the brightness down on the note if i have any hope of the battery making it through the day without a topup, so that may be a contributing factor. :(

I'm on the stock Sammy ROM at the moment, but i was half thinking of putting the BobCat KitKat ROM on it to see if that makes any significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've got both the Note3 and an OPO in daily use now and aside from the stylus, you've be hard pushed to choose between them tbh, if anything the OPO has the lead in a few areas like battery life and performance, although some of that is probably down to Samsung bloat.

Is the battery much better on the OPO ? I've a note 3 as well and just about the buy the OPO but I find I have about 40% left by lunchtime on the note and it's killing me at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Maybe it's just me, but I don't imagine many of the people who were thinking of buying the note 4 would be the sort of people who would consider switching to an iPhone plus instead just to get a big new phone in their hands slightly quicker.

It just seems like the user base for both platforms is well established now, several generations in and pretty well polarised one way or the other apart from a few defectors here and there.

exactly, the galaxy s4 is probably just as good as the new iphone 6, i doubt galaxy owners were like ummmmmm, will i get the new iphone 6 or wait for a new galaxy whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is the battery much better on the OPO ? I've a note 3 as well and just about the buy the OPO but I find I have about 40% left by lunchtime on the note and it's killing me at the minute.
    I'm the same, foookin android system is devouring my battery no matter what i try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm the same, foookin android system is devouring my battery no matter what i try.

It shouldn't be like that, a factory reset should sort it out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mine is actually the exact a same. It's so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

If your battery life seems short-lived, turn off location reporting for just one day. Tell us if that makes a difference.

From my experience, it made a big difference..... I think Google now/search were always listening for me, and to have the local data ready to hand. For that, they needed to be continuously checking the location. Unless you really need location reporting on, I would switch it off.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be like that, a factory reset should sort it out.

I've done a factory reset twice, once by accident, don't ask.
    It was only a short term fix, it was back to eating battery 4 days letter.
    I do have location on as I'm using the device manager which obviously need your location if you lose your phone.
    Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any other suggestions?

Don't buy a Samsung next time ;)

No seriously surprised that hasn't helped.
    Have you tried to install a wakelock detector to see what is keeping the phone awake.

Try turning location services off for a week to see how you get on, then if you need turn it back on and see how it changes things.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I've done a factory reset twice, once by accident, don't ask. It was only a short term fix, it was back to eating battery 4 days letter. I do have location on as I'm using the device manager which obviously need your location if you lose your phone. Any other suggestions?

Install gsam battery monitor, which will help identify any misbehaving apps. Then install Greenify to hibernate any apps that run in the background unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

beno619 wrote: »
    Install gsam battery monitor, which will help identify any misbehaving apps. Then install Greenify to hibernate any apps that run in the background unnecessarily.

I have greenify at the moment but am I right in thinking that you need to have root in order take full advantage of it?

beno619 wrote: »

I did both of those things cheers and hibernated a few apps. But when i go into gsam and see what is using the battery it still says android system and when i click on manage it just let's be force close everything to do with the android system one by one.
    But surely they'll all just start up again because there's no option to disable them?
    I just another 30% there in three hours with the phone in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

See that Samsung have decided to release the Note 4 early in China to ward off the iPhone 6 - means it will be released in Europe earlier too. Definitely interested in this one: http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/samsung-note-4-early-launch-1687289-Sep2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

The edge is pretty much confirmed to be a limited edition too.

With the iPhone 6 Plus apparently having build issues I'm turning back to the Note 4 now. Hopefully it will be launched sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

The edge is pretty much confirmed to be a limited edition too.

With the iPhone 6 Plus apparently having build issues I'm turning back to the Note 4 now. Hopefully it will be launched sooner rather than later.

Any website I've been too, all of them say October 10 release ireland

leemaree wrote: »
    Any website I've been too, all of them say October 10 release ireland

That would be handy. Might flog my current phone now to offset the cost. Might go sim free yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

They are very frustrating with their lauches in regards to release dates! Iphone is stealing a march i think.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    They are very frustrating with their lauches in regards to release dates! Iphone is stealing a march i think.

How come every time, when iPhone is announced, they also announce the launch date and price. But, when it comes to Samsung devices been announced, they don't announce the prices not the release dates?

That would be handy. Might flog my current phone now to offset the cost. Might go sim free yet.

I read that this phone will b between £580-600 SIM-free

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

It's between the Note 4 and a Z3 Compact for me ( Iknow! - just trying to figure out what I want/need from a phone these days).

Either way I'll be going SIM free - bought a HTC One (M7) sim free and will never look back. The range of options out there if you don't need a phone with a contract is great!

Roll on the 10th (and reviews so that I can make up my mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

leemaree wrote: »
    How come every time, when iPhone is announced, they also announce the launch date and price. But, when it comes to Samsung devices been announced, they don't announce the prices not the release dates?

Im pretty sure anyone interested in a note 4 has zero interest in iphone6, and vice versa so dates not really as big a deal as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Hachiko wrote: »
    Im pretty sure anyone interested in a note 4 has zero interest in iphone6, and vice versa so dates not really as big a deal as people make out.

Yeah, the note 4 is crap by comparison, it doesn't even bend! :pac:

Samsung are working on a new bandable one called the galaxy noted edge bend, comes with 8 mega pixel camera to reduce overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

samsung.jpg?w=650&h=363

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hachiko wrote: »

I am hoping to get my iPhone 6+ tomorrow as a stop gap between my Note 3 and Note 4 in 2 weeks.. :D Oh, had the SG5 in there for a few months too.

The joys of managing the mobile contracts in small company where most are still using Nokia 3310's!

Edit..wife get's the iPhone then for Christmas to replace her 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

samsung.jpg?w=650&h=363

This would probably be hilarious if I could recognise phones by their sliver of a profile.

Advertisement