Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Can i ask a serious question? Will the protestors who are so against the CAS use the bridge when its completed or will they avoid that area? The reason i ask is that the anti CAS group are so vocal and of course are within their rights to be but if they are at that end of town and need to cross over the river will they use the new bridge or go back up to Johns bridge? Kind of a matter of principal and the continuation of their protest an all that.

Just a thought is all so before anyone says im trolling or looking for a reaction im not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

obezyana wrote: »

Just a thought is all so before anyone says im trolling or looking for a reaction im not.

Making such a statement after a trolling question does not mean you are not trolling. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Not sure if I want to go through 5-7 roundabouts not to mention a few pedestrian crossings and probably a few sets of traffic lights. have they made provision for a drive thru?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can i ask a serious question? Will the protestors who are so against the CAS use the bridge when its completed or will they avoid that area? The reason i ask is that the anti CAS group are so vocal and of course are within their rights to be but if they are at that end of town and need to cross over the river will they use the new bridge or go back up to Johns bridge? Kind of a matter of principal and the continuation of their protest an all that.

So you'd consider anyone that deals with Dublin City Council after the woodquay protests a hypocrite if they took part in the protests? If so then I guess our former president Mary Robinson is a hypocrite.

What about people that receive power from an electricity company after they protest against pylons being built in area's of outstanding natural beauty...or just near their house?

The problem with CAS is once its built, its built. The council won't be taking it down even if only one person a day uses it.

If everyone in the city decided to go an alternative route the council would merely introduce measures to force usage of the bridge.

kikel wrote: »
    Making such a statement after a trolling question does not mean you are not trolling. :rolleyes:

My god woman/man whatever you are have a day off will ya. I asked a question.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you'd consider anyone that deals with Dublin City Council after the woodquay protests a hypocrite if they took part in the protests? If so then I guess our former president Mary Robinson is a hypocrite.

What about people that receive power from an electricity company after they protest against pylons being built in area's of outstanding natural beauty...or just near their house?

The problem with CAS is once its built, its built. The council won't be taking it down even if only one person a day uses it.

If everyone in the city decided to go an alternative route the council would merely introduce measures to force usage of the bridge.

Now i would love if you went through my post and showed me where i called people hypocrites. As for our former president i couldn't really care if she was a hypocrite or not sure i don't know her and any actions she does are in no way going to affect me.

The pylon issue? really is this what you come up with.

Im asking a question about the protestors in KK not Dublin? Will those who are involved in the protest use this bridge when its built? Its s simple question Cabaal you dont need to start giving silly examples like what goes in Dublin and start throwing peoples names around.......haha the former president....Jesus.

• Advertisement

Yes, protesters will probably use it.

Sorry I just want to see what obezyana says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Im getting some popcorn, fec i just ate a bowl full just before looking at obezyana's rebuff

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The pylon issue? really is this what you come up with.

Its something people also don't want due to it ruining the look of an area, so its a comparative example
    Im asking a question about the protestors in KK not Dublin? Will those who are involved in the protest use this bridge when its built?

I answered your question,
    It won't matter who uses it after its built because the damage is done, it can't be undone.

So deciding to use it or not will have zero affect on the city as it would be completely ineffective as a ongoing protest.

You got what you deem as "silly examples" because with all due respect your question is equally silly, as I've explained using the bridge or not has zero affect as an "continuation of their protest".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well me thinks you are perhaps a psychoanalyst asking a question of that nature; and you have received answers that you anticipated; However the original question was quite relevant so therefore perhaps in my small way I can help you.
    The protest is not really about the CAS but then again it is, doesn't make sense does it? Well as Kilkenny people most of us are proud of our city and it's heritage, however we have a council who do not share our love of Kilkenny.
    You see we have waited more than twenty years for the ring road to be completed, heavy vehicles are made to use the old Green's Bridge built I think in the 17 hundreds, certainly not designed to cope with the volume of traffic using it, to make the situation worse to get to the ring road the lorries have to go through a residential area, into a signal operated single traffic situation, crossing another ancient bridge, going through yet another residential area before reaching the ring road.
    Now the CAS, we need another bridge as a matter of urgency, apparently the executive officer, we are told has chosen a bridge that many consider will do nothing for our city.
    To make the situation even more confusing the new proposed CAS actually does nothing to take heavy traffic out of the city centre, there is no road to link the ring road such as it is on the northern side, the southern side there is nothing except what we have at the moment, with no planning for changes in the offing.
    It appears our councillors do not have a say in the planning of this project, the unelected executive have taken all the decisions, it was this executive we are told who managed to order the wrong bridge, real power dealing mon ami.
    Will protestors use the bridge, a bit of a joke, you know the answer to that one, well how do you imagine all the building equipment is going to get into the brewery site development, not over the new bridge to be sure.
    Now what is going into this new site? a chance Killenny has to build something that will stand the test of time, would you trust a council that orders the wrong bridge, of course you would not. I am sure by the tone of your post you would be with our protesters.
    You can donate to the legal fund regarding the Nore by going to facebook "Save Kilkenny", I am sure your contribution would be very welcome.
    Apparently our elected representatives are not allowed to object to what is transpiring at County Hall, seriously would you not protest.
    Well, I hope this helps you understand our stance in this matter, it is purely to keep Kilkenny Beautiful.
    Thank you for such an interesting post.
    Foxy in full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Rantan wrote: »
    ..."needless play acting"...are you just taking the p**s?

The Democracy you flout is not about blindly conforming with the decisions of a few regardless of the merit of those decisions.
    If that's what you call democracy maybe you should leave Ireland to the wasters and go live in China or North Korea?

Mention of China reminded of the term, a slow boat to China! As a boat wouldn't hold the vast numbers in favour of the CAS it would be more practical for the minority ( wasters, as you call them) of those against it to take that boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Hey Grats, throw us out a number there of the 'vast' majority please? Just while you're coming on for your routine troll of the thread. We've only been asking you for a few months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Grats wrote: »
    Mention of China reminded of the term, a slow boat to China! As a boat wouldn't hold the vast numbers in favour of the CAS it would be more practical for the minority ( wasters, as you call them) of those against it to take that boat.

scsc.gif

Threadhead wrote: »
    Hey Grats, throw us out a number there of the 'vast' majority please? Just while you're coming on for your routine troll of the thread. We've only been asking you for a few months now.

Total 24. In favour 19. Against 5. A majority of 14. Simple maths. That's democracy working for the citizens, thankfully.

Regarding the routine troll, as you call it! Wouldn't life be boring on this thread otherwise. Patting each other, of the half dozen or so, on the back persistently. Thanking each other for a post. Agreeing with each other as if you're reading a comment or views for the first time. Dishing out constant abuse to all that disagree with ye. Be thankful for a break in the the hum drum!

Btw, it has to be difficult for the moderators to monitor the postings on this thread from time to time.

Yes, protesters will probably use it.

Sorry I just want to see what obezyana says

Ill ignore your small print and pretend you answered the question :D
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Its something people also don't want due to it ruining the look of an area, so its a comparative example

I answered your question,
    It won't matter who uses it after its built because the damage is done, it can't be undone.

I know it doesn't matter who uses it i merely asked a question and you came back with something that's not really relevant.

So deciding to use it or not will have zero affect on the city as it would be completely ineffective as a ongoing protest.

Indeed your right it will have zero impact and the protest will be done and dusted.....council wins and they know it. For them it will be more satisfying picturing the protesters use that bridge, it will be like hey they fought hard but they still use it. Smug faces all round for the council.

You got what you deem as "silly examples" because with all due respect your question is equally silly, as I've explained using the bridge or not has zero affect as an "continuation of their protest".

No my question wasn't silly it was a genuine question. Iv asked Kikel gave me the answer(ignore the small print) :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Btw, it has to be difficult for the moderators to monitor the postings on this thread from time to time.

I'm doing just fine and will intervene when I see fit.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Total 24. In favour 19. Against 5. A majority of 14. Simple maths. That's democracy working for the citizens, thankfully.

Regarding the routine troll, as you call it! Wouldn't life be boring on this thread otherwise. Patting each other, of the half dozen or so, on the back persistently. Thanking each other for a post. Agreeing with each other as if you're reading a comment or views for the first time. Dishing out constant abuse to all that disagree with ye. Be thankful for a break in the the hum drum!

How do you account for ALL the councillors calling for a review and it being shot down by the executive of Kilkenny County Council?

You pick and choose random facts and figures, make up wacky statements and bluster on about things that you can't prove. You have not, cannot and will not account for your statements of a majority. PROVE IT or stop wasting everyone's time here. Speaking of which...

As for dishing out abuse, you're the one that keeps calling people wasters. Do you agree that it's abusive language?

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Im getting some popcorn, fec i just ate a bowl full just before looking at obezyana's rebuff

Well, that really was a waste of time, sorry to disappoint. I thought he would have had something better. Oh well.

Apparently some posters were banned for calling people trolls, so let's be careful. And if I called any poster a waster, or if I didn't, let the moderator deal with it.

Apparently some posters were banned for calling people trolls, so let's be careful. And if I called any poster a waster, or if I didn't, let the moderator deal with it.

You called the protesters wasters...in a proper democtratic society protesting is allowed...the majority of the people of kilkenny city don't want the bridge and would rather the ringroad was completed along with a properly placed bridge....

The cas bridge is not, will not and cannot improve the traffic situation...it is only going to delay in getting the ringroad completed...

The traffic will increase along the residential streets leading up to the bridge on both ends...residential streets that probably cannot take an increase btw...

Back to protesting wasters..were the people protesting at carnsore point wasters re nuclear power, were shell protesters in mayo, were the ones in dublin re the viking discovery wasters, berlin wall etc....

You called the protesters wasters...in a proper democtratic society protesting is allowed...the majority of the people of kilkenny city don't want the bridge and would rather the ringroad was completed along with a properly placed bridge....

The cas bridge is not, will not and cannot improve the traffic situation...it is only going to delay in getting the ringroad completed...

The traffic will increase along the residential streets leading up to the bridge on both ends...residential streets that probably cannot take an increase btw...

Back to protesting wasters..were the people protesting at carnsore point wasters re nuclear power, were shell protesters in mayo, were the ones in dublin re the viking discovery wasters, berlin wall etc....

No point in going over the old ground of the last twenty years. Qualified experts and numerous county Councillors have brought us to this stage. They have the backing of the majority of its citizens, democracy is working.

I refer you to posts 932 and 937.

• Advertisement

Please someone tell me why we elect local councillors; when they were not permitted to have a review of the CAS by the executive who we did not elect.
    As the CAS is crucial to Kilkenny, there are some who consider it will be the ruination of our lovely city, there is an argument that tourists will never see it; it is not therefore really relevant whether the CAS is a disaster.
    However, there is equally a lobby that feels the ring road should get priority as the much needed bridge can be sited in a place that is relevant to the traffic flows, actual to prevent traffic from snarling up the centre of Kilkenny.
    Which if you follow trends, most cities have managed to direct traffic away from the centres, which is beneficial to tourists and local shoppers, one must never lose sight of the fact that Kilkenny belongs to the locals and there expectations must always be in the forefront of any change.
    I will pop this in, have you found that the new kerbing in High St is a menace, it is neither one thing or another, equally the toilets on the Mayors walk are pretty grim for such a beautiful city, if anything tourists will remember the experience, as a local I was expecting to get steamed any minute, personally I reckon they are a disgrace.
    Back to the CAS and who has the power to control what goes on in Kilkenny, either we have a democracy or is it a dictatorship?
    I am deeply concerned that the group who purchased the wrong bridge, the CAS is bad enough but to buy the wrong bridge is downright neglect, if they worked for me without doubt their services would have been terminated, in truth Kilkenny has become a laughing stock as a result.
    I saw some paintings during arts week of the bridge, to think if they managed to sell any of them what will people think.
    The protection of our city and it's environment is crucial, I just shudder at the thought of our Dictator and the Brewery site.
    One only has to look at Carlow and Waterford to see what these jokers have achieved.
    Foxy for saving our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

speaking of "experts" experts also recommended the Mater site for the children's hospital.
    The cost in real terms of the planning rejection was €20 million approx but wait, what relevance does any that or any other municipal scheme have to the CAS at all? That was in the Dubelin so has nothing to do with our "experts" here in Kilkenny.
    What was I thinking...apologies...I forgot - we are not allowed use any other examples to debate or discuss the CAS - we must stick to the facts.

Grats, I am sure you really want to join those against the proposed CAS as you are so keen on democracy, which you will agree is lacking when the executive decided to press ahead without a review.
    I do not like doing this but, democracy or dictatorship, Adolph Hitler was democratically elected.
    Foxy reading past history.

Qualified experts or self appointed experts? Clearly the majority of our citizens chose the former.

Grats are these the same ones who managed to buy the wrong bridge?
    Well suited by the looks of things. Bravo Rantan brill post. Foxy

Grats are these the same ones who managed to buy the wrong bridge?
    Well suited by the looks of things. Bravo Rantan brill post. Foxy

Gosh, I'm no expert. Wrong or right bridge it is a brilliant amenity and getting plenty of use. The one under the Ossory Bridge will be opened in a few weeks and will add further to our wonderful city. Shame that some can't enjoy the whole project.

I refer you to posts 932 and 937.

I hope you're not calling me a troll...where do trolls live...yes under a bridge, why you are so supportive of this supersized bridge for a town...yes for all intensive purposes thats what kilkenny is...but it is a City in medival terms..
    What benifit to the city is the bridge actually going to be in your opinion...

Regarding the blue pedestrian bridge, someone told me that it was built for the two libarians, so that they could have more time for lunch....
    Maybe i shall spend a few hours and take note of the actual people who use this bridge and also at the same time take note of the numerious people who use johns bridge for walking across...

I think we know that the answer will be johns bridge, as who would want to walk down from johns bridge cross and go back up to johns bridge instead of just crossing johns bridge...:rolleyes:

The ossary pedestrian bridge is wooden....now think of this for a moment....if they changed the wood to oak, wouldn't it look lovely in front of the castle...and put that blue yoke under that concrete bridge!! Now that would be proper and correct planning!

If the pedestrian bridge was needed at all...it doesn't serve a purpose...

The ha'penny bridge in Dublin does....

Well, that really was a waste of time, sorry to disappoint. I thought he would have had something better. Oh well.

Im so sorry to disappoint you. I feel so bad now. TBH your posts weren't enticing enough to warrant any other different reply.

Regarding the blue pedestrian bridge, someone told me that it was built for the two libarians, so that they could have more time for lunch....
    Maybe i shall spend a few hours and take note of the actual people who use this bridge and also at the same time take note of the numerious people who use johns bridge for walking across...

Yes that's a great idea you can kill two birds with the one stone seen as your already following people around the town to see if they are going through the town to the Dublin road. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I hope you're not calling me a troll...where do trolls live...yes under a bridge, why you are so supportive of this supersized bridge for a town...yes for all intensive purposes thats what kilkenny is...but it is a City in medival terms..
    What benifit to the city is the bridge actually going to be in your opinion...

I think we know that the answer will be johns bridge, as who would want to walk down from johns bridge cross and go back up to johns bridge instead of just crossing johns bridge...:rolleyes:

In all fairness to the co co - not considering the actual look of the bridge, I think it was a great piece of urban planning. the council did not decide to erect the bridge because there was a huge demand from hoards of stranded pedestrians who stood on the Dunnes side of the river looking forlornly across the river saying "id cross over if there was a bridge but I'll think twice now"

There are plans to develop both the library and Evans Home off Michael street/behind the church, into cultural destinations(art gallery and museum I think?)
    When you consider the plan for the area as a whole the bridge makes sense. Right now there is nothing on that side of town to encourage people over, when the developments are complete the bridge will make more sense and facilitate the movement of people across the river. I cant wait - I live on that side of town and the potential is huge - Evans home is a wonderful old building and the plans look great for it. as it stands I use the bridge at every opportunity and like it

Advertisement